This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Has anyone had +/- experiences with any of the cruise lines and their accomodating for gluten free. I have been on a few cruises prior to dx (including Royal Caribbean). My sister just asked if we would want to go on vacation with her an her BF and we're throwing around ideas one of them being a cruise which I feel like would make eating less stressful, and I know Royal Caribbean has gluten free options.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

natalunia Rookie

I've found out that Oceania is good at accomodating from others. I should know first hand in early August.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

We're booked on royal carb. in Sept. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous to. We were cruisers prior to celiac disease as well. My travel agent requested the gluten-free diet for us and we got a automated reply about what foods to bring. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Are you a Crown & Anchor member? You can go to the the C & A section of the website and it allows you to enter your personal preferences and one of the options is a gluten-free diet. I'm planning on faxing my request personally, a few weeks before we go. One lady I talked with said the fresh fruits at the Windjammer buffet are in a seperate from the breads etc. I was thinking at the very least we can snack on fruit in between meals. The last I heard, the ice cream machines in the buffet area were also gluten-free. But I'm sure that could change depending on suppliers.

I have a friend who is also Celiac who's sailing this week with Royal Carb. I'll let you know how it goes. I have heard that royal caribbean is really good with the gluten-free diet as well. I'm so excited about not having to cook!

Also, if you don't mind, let me know if you find out any more information. :)

natalunia, Sounds great! Please do let us know. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest MelissaB

Hello! I was on a cruise about a year ago - Celebrity Cruise Lines (a division of Royal Caribbean). I was very nervous but it was the best trip ever. I was told upon booking the trip that I would need to talk to the maitre d' upon arriving. I met w/ him the first night of the cruise and he took care of me the rest of the week.

I ate in the dining room as much as I could (breakfast/lunch/dinner). Every night at dinner, he would show me the menu for the following day and he would customize it to my needs. He even had celiac bread for me. Everyone bent over backwards for me and I ate like a queen.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to email me!

kaciemarie Contributor

I am also thinking about going on a cruise and I heard that Celebrity Cruise Lines are very accommodating. It even mentions Gluten Intollerance on their web site...

"Celebrity Cruises can accommodate a variety of dietary needs if requested in advance. (Not all special diets can be met.) They happily accommodate the following special diets on board: diabetic, low-fat, low-sodium, low-cholesterol, kosher, gluten-free, and lactose-free.

*Requests for transportation and dietary accommodations for guests with special needs must be faxed to Celebrity Cruises' Special Services Department, on CruiseCheap.com Letterhead, at least 21 days prior to sailing (60 days prior for Europe and South America)"

On top of it I have only heard good things about the rest of their accomodations!!

Hope this helps!!

JerryK Community Regular

Having just returned from an Alaska Cruise on Princess Cruise Lines, I'm pretty confident they would accomodate you.

They specifically state in much of their documentation to let them know if you have any specific dietary

requirements.

Also, since there was a wide variety of foods available, I could easily pick out foods that likely contained Gluten vs. those that did not. Since I'm actively seeking a diagnoses, I made a point to seek out a few

things each day that contained Gluten. But I'm confident I could have been gluten-free had I so chose, pretty easily.

It would probably be best to eat in the dining room, Vs. the Buffet (Lido) simply to avoid cross contamination and to make more thoughtful choices, but I say go for it. I had a great time.

The Murfs Newbie

Hi,

My wife (she's the one with Celiac) and I have been on 8 cruises (5 since diagnosis). Here's rundown of what we experienced:

Royal Caribbean - baked special bread for every meal, maitre d' always helpful, wait staff would bring next day menu and let Vicky choose meal and would modify sauce/ingredients if possible to make the meal gluten free. No symptoms, so no gluten (best we can tell, anyway). Overall: excellent!!!

Princess - barely ok. Maitre d' and wait staff had to be reminded on more than one occasion that Vicky needed special meal. This was general trend for all Princess employees - they acted "indifferent" to the passengers. No symptoms, so no gluen, but weren't pleased we had to remind staff over and over and over again. Overall: average at best, use Princess if this is only cruise line going where you want to go.

Norweigian - great - even met chef ashore one night in Copenhagen, and he showed up next day with his card, special meal. Wait staff was super. Only complaint (minor) was that about half the time the "gluten free" meant taking off all the sauces (dull and bland....). No symptoms, so no gluten. Overall: superior and about equal to Royal Caribbean.

Holland America - good service, very good. Almost all meals were "just bake it" to make gluten free. Wait staff/chef did remember Vicky needed to plan ahead, but didn't go out of way to be creative/supportive. No symptoms, so no gluten. Overall: very good.

ciao,

mm.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moving on Apprentice
Hello! I was on a cruise about a year ago - Celebrity Cruise Lines (a division of Royal Caribbean). I was very nervous but it was the best trip ever. I was told upon booking the trip that I would need to talk to the maitre d' upon arriving. I met w/ him the first night of the cruise and he took care of me the rest of the week.

I ate in the dining room as much as I could (breakfast/lunch/dinner). Every night at dinner, he would show me the menu for the following day and he would customize it to my needs. He even had celiac bread for me. Everyone bent over backwards for me and I ate like a queen.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to email me!

Rusla Enthusiast

Royal Holland lines are very well versed on Celiac disease and accomodating.

carriecraig Enthusiast

Hi! I just got back from a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line on March 5th, and I had the greatest experience. We decided to go at the last minute (within 3 weeks of sailing), and I just went through my travel agent to get the contact info of the coordinator on the ship. A few days before we left, I got a confirmation that I would meet with the executive chef, and we would go over the menu options. He brought along a list of all of the gluten-free foods that they had on board (and there was a lot – bread, pasta, bagels, waffles), and also had me get in touch with the maitre d in the restaurant to go over the menu choices for the following day. I got the royal treatment! I could order just about anything, and they would prepare it in a separate kitchen, so there was no possibility of CC. They also prepared gluten-free desserts every night, so I was so spoiled (chocolate mousse, flan, and chocolate decadence cake – heavenly). I ate great, and felt great the whole trip. I cannot say enough great things about my experience.

Gentleheart Enthusiast
We're booked on royal carb. in Sept. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous to. We were cruisers prior to celiac disease as well. My travel agent requested the gluten-free diet for us and we got a automated reply about what foods to bring. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Are you a Crown & Anchor member? You can go to the the C & A section of the website and it allows you to enter your personal preferences and one of the options is a gluten-free diet. I'm planning on faxing my request personally, a few weeks before we go. One lady I talked with said the fresh fruits at the Windjammer buffet are in a seperate from the breads etc. I was thinking at the very least we can snack on fruit in between meals. The last I heard, the ice cream machines in the buffet area were also gluten-free. But I'm sure that could change depending on suppliers.

I have a friend who is also Celiac who's sailing this week with Royal Carb. I'll let you know how it goes. I have heard that royal caribbean is really good with the gluten-free diet as well. I'm so excited about not having to cook!

Also, if you don't mind, let me know if you find out any more information. :)

natalunia, Sounds great! Please do let us know. :)

I'm actually sailing with Royal Caribbean in September to Alaska too. Could you possibly share that list of foods to bring??? I just got diagnosed and was worried the cruise would be ruined for me. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

blanchemae,

This is the auto-response.....

Good day,

I have received your notice regarding gluten-free meals and will forward

it

to the ship.

Once on board please meet with the Maitre 'D to review the menus and

address any questions you may have.

The ship does not have a gluten-free menu per se. However, there is a

daily alternative menu that includes plain, roasted beef, chicken, fish, plain

rice and baked potatoes. The ship also bakes it’s own gluten free breads.

Guests are allowed to bring on board their own supply of dry,

nonperishable food items such as cookies, chips, cracker, energy bars, etc. You may also

bring individual packets of your favorite salad dressing.

Royal Caribbean International will not receive, store prepare or serve any

meals brought on board by our guests. These meals will be discarded

immediately.

I have a relative that just got back from RCCL and they were extremlly accomadating with her gluten-free diet. From what I can tell the fruits station is seperate in the buffet area from the breads etc. I don't know if you've tried any of the Annie's gluten-free dressings but some of them you can get in individual packets.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Cruising!! :)

• 3 years later...
Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Justing linking these two posts:

• 8 years later...
ErinG31 Newbie

We just finished a 7 day on Oasis of the seas. DO NOT TAKE THIS SHIP! I got glutened every night, the last day being the worst. I was safer eating at the buffet then the dinner.  The gluten free pizza was good and had its own oven to avoid contamination. Your gluten experience will very by ship not necessarily line. Our watress was amazing and nice, however the last day she did give me soup with bread in it when we asked if it was gluten free bread she took it away and camw back with one without bread.  The kept telling me they could modify anything... Not true and it's not like I was asking for cake I asked for the tomato and mozzarella that had balsamic vinegar all they had to do was omit that, I got another strip cocktail. There menus has items that are normally gluten free with the exception of one night there was no main course. I do not recoment this ship.  Good luck

cyclinglady Grand Master
On 7/1/2018 at 4:50 AM, ErinG31 said:

We just finished a 7 day on Oasis of the seas. DO NOT TAKE THIS SHIP! I got glutened every night, the last day being the worst. I was safer eating at the buffet then the dinner.  The gluten free pizza was good and had its own oven to avoid contamination. Your gluten experience will very by ship not necessarily line. Our watress was amazing and nice, however the last day she did give me soup with bread in it when we asked if it was gluten free bread she took it away and camw back with one without bread.  The kept telling me they could modify anything... Not true and it's not like I was asking for cake I asked for the tomato and mozzarella that had balsamic vinegar all they had to do was omit that, I got another strip cocktail. There menus has items that are normally gluten free with the exception of one night there was no main course. I do not recoment this ship.  Good luck

Balsamic vinegar is made from grapes and is gluten free.  

Open Original Shared Link

Did you inform the cruise line in advance when you booked?  Did you talk to the Head Waiter (managers)?  Did you ask to see the kitchen where allergies are handled?  

I have traveled on RC without any issues.  I am sure mistakes can be made, but you have to be very assertive.  

NoWheatButVodka Newbie

We had an unexpectedly amazing experience on Carnival - they treated me like a princess and let me preorder every meal, so they could make it truly gluten-free.  They even made me gluten-free cheese cake and their famous chocolate lava cake.

When friends suggested we try Royal Caribbean, we were sure we’d have an even more phenomenal experience.  We were beyond wrong.  They messed up 11 of our 12 meals...and, yes, I informed them of my Celiac Disease when I booked the trip, AND I visited the maitre d’ as soon as we boarded, AND I reminded our server EVERY SINGLE MEAL!  Our vacation turned into a nightmare and, sadly, our best meal was at a Margaritaville.

• 4 months later...
Zigzag Rookie
On 5/5/2006 at 10:19 AM, jkmunchkin said:

Has anyone had +/- experiences with any of the cruise lines and their accomodating for gluten free. I have been on a few cruises prior to dx (including Royal Caribbean). My sister just asked if we would want to go on vacation with her an her BF and we're throwing around ideas one of them being a cruise which I feel like would make eating less stressful, and I know Royal Caribbean has gluten free options.

I have been on 2 cruises since diagnosed with Celiac and gone gluten-free, RCL and Cunard. Both bent over backwards to provide excellent gluten-free meals as well as a large selection to choose from. Cunard expecially was very accomadating in every way taking gluten-free very seriously. 

Archived