This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Too Weak

Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I am on my first day of the SCD diet and I am starving to death, I can't do this. I can't not eat all the food..... I could do gluten free fine. My girls have been gluten free long enough that I can eat whatever I want gluten free, but I can't do the SCD diet, I don't even know what I can eat save fresh veggie, fresh fruit, and meat.

I ate some grapes and carrot sticks for breakfast, and I am so hungry. I am sitting here in tears, I can't eat anything in my kitchen, not even the gluten free stuff, because it's got rice and potatoes, and corn, and

*cries*

what am I going to do?

help. I seriously am crying over this, what's wrong with me?

I just want a baked potato.....

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

(((((HUGS))))) I don't know much about the SCD diet. Can you eat a snack or head to the store to stock up on stuff that you can eat?

Hang in there!

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I don't really even cry much, but here I am in tears.

I can't go anywhere I don't have the car. My kids are sitting here eating gluten free cereal and I can smell it... it's smells so good.

I am so depressed.

what if I give up though? on the first day? and have a slice of gluten free corn bread with peanut butter?

I feel like a failure.

jenvan Collaborator
I don't really even cry much, but here I am in tears.

I can't go anywhere I don't have the car. My kids are sitting here eating gluten free cereal and I can smell it... it's smells so good.

I am so depressed.

what if I give up though? on the first day? and have a slice of gluten free corn bread with peanut butter?

I feel like a failure.

You shouldn't feel like a failure! It takes such discipline to make big lifestyle changes, like the SCD--especially when you are choosing and not being forced to do so. You decided to try the SCD do to ongoing symptoms? One thing I think that is helpful is stocking up on things you can eat in advance so you are all ready to go and not so overwhelmeds. I know the beginning of the diet is hardest, during the "cleansing" but there are baked goods/breads/desserts you can make on the SCD. Have you seen those recipes or some of the good sites for ideas etc?

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
You shouldn't feel like a failure! It takes such discipline to make big lifestyle changes, like the SCD--especially when you are choosing and not being forced to do so. You decided to try the SCD do to ongoing symptoms? One thing I think that is helpful is stocking up on things you can eat in advance so you are all ready to go and not so overwhelmeds. I know the beginning of the diet is hardest, during the "cleansing" but there are baked goods/breads/desserts you can make on the SCD. Have you seen those recipes or some of the good sites for ideas etc?

my husband talked me into it, because I have been sick for so long, I hadn't even really been gluten free a week, but he said that the SCD would help me heal faster. I don't think I can do it.

I am toying with the idea of doing gluten/dairy free until I feel better, but I don't think he will be to happy with me, he feels like that is going "halfway" and that I will still be sick.

I don't want to disappoint anyone, but I don't like feeling like this either. I don't know what to do.

wolfie Enthusiast
my husband talked me into it, because I have been sick for so long, I hadn't even really been gluten free a week, but he said that the SCD would help me heal faster. I don't think I can do it.

I am toying with the idea of doing gluten/dairy free until I feel better, but I don't think he will be to happy with me, he feels like that is going "halfway" and that I will still be sick.

I don't want to disappoint anyone, but I don't like feeling like this either. I don't know what to do.

Maybe you could do gluten-free/df first for a few months and then evaluate how you feel? That way it is not so extreme and you may not need to go as far as the SCD diet. If the gluten-free/df doesn't seem to be working, then maybe you can progress to the SCD diet to see if that helps. (((HUGS)))

jerseyangel Proficient

It's going to be ok :) I just sent you a PM. :) I think your idea of going gluten and dairy free first is a good idea. Then, you can ascess whether or not you have any additional intolerances.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice
I am on my first day of the SCD diet and I am starving to death, I can't do this. I can't not eat all the food..... I could do gluten free fine. My girls have been gluten free long enough that I can eat whatever I want gluten free, but I can't do the SCD diet, I don't even know what I can eat save fresh veggie, fresh fruit, and meat.

I ate some grapes and carrot sticks for breakfast, and I am so hungry. I am sitting here in tears, I can't eat anything in my kitchen, not even the gluten free stuff, because it's got rice and potatoes, and corn, and

help. I seriously am crying over this, what's wrong with me?

I just want a baked potato.....

The SCD is definitely strict and hard, but you can eat more than you did. Carrots and grapes isn't very much and it's basically all sugar...maybe add some protein. You can have any protein as long as it isn't "processed" or canned, but any fresh meat is okay. Your veggies and fruit should be peeled and cooked.

I'll be back in a few minutes with some links for you.

Here is a link that actually has a chart of foods and the different stages to add them.

Open Original Shared Link

Matilda Enthusiast

tarnalberry Community Regular

On the gluten-free diet, you surrounded yourself with foods you could eat easily. Have you done the same for this diet?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

This might be slightly off topic, but is your husband doing the SCD diet with you?

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I think he wants to do it, and thinks it will be easier for him if we all do... however, I am in a pretty cynical mood today.

VydorScope Proficient

I know nothing about the SCD, and it readly does not matter my answer would be the same.

If YOU are not emotionally on board for a given diet, dont bother. You will cheat, and you will fail. YOU have to be sold out for the diet. YOU have to believe its right. And you clearly do not, and your clearly not sold on it. I would suggest you need sit down with your husband with no kids aroiund and talk about gluten-free/DF as a first step. And make sure your NOT hungery when you sit down with him. :)

TCA Contributor

I don't know much about that diet, just wanted to send you a hug! I just found out my daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs, so I'm doing a gluten/dairy/egg free diet since I'm nursing and trying to figure it all out. I'm not to tears yet, because I am able to do this for her, but if it were for other reasons, I'm sure I'd be a mess.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I think he wants to do it, and thinks it will be easier for him if we all do... however, I am in a pretty cynical mood today.

Okay, I just thought this is something he wants YOU to do, not him, and if he doesn't do the diet, he wouldn't understand how difficult it could be. I don't know much about the diet, but in the beginning, I guess it's pretty limiting.

I second Vincent's thoughts on trying gluten-free/DF for a while, and if that doesn't help you (and you should probably give it a couple of months) then try the SCD.

My thoughts are with you and TCA, too! I cannot imagine having to deal with more than just gluten. Good luck and here's a ((((hug)))).

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

Yep, I think Vincent is right (as always) I am going to eat, get all my cranky's out (yeah, that's what the girls and I call being in a bad mood) and then sit him down and explain that I am going the "one day at a time" route with this and today I can handle gluten and dairy free. I think he will understand if I don't yell at him LOL

Okay I am going to take a bubble bath and watch a funny movie so I don't attack him when he walks in from work. (see I am a good wife sometimes)

VydorScope Proficient
Yep, I think Vincent is right (as always) I am going to eat, get all my cranky's out (yeah, that's what the girls and I call being in a bad mood) and then sit him down and explain that I am going the "one day at a time" route with this and today I can handle gluten and dairy free. I think he will understand if I don't yell at him LOL

Okay I am going to take a bubble bath and watch a funny movie so I don't attack him when he walks in from work. (see I am a good wife sometimes)

Now that sounds like a plan. Communication in marriage is a Very Good Thing :D

Guest nini

I'm not a big fan of the SCD. I know a lot of people swear by it and think it hung the moon, but honestly I couldn't do it and I can't expect anyone else to. I just don't believe in it.

I initially had to be dairy free as well as gluten-free, but after about six months I was able to reintroduce dairy with no complications. I think that a dairy free/ gluten-free approach for now is the best. Stick with foods that are naturally gluten-free and minimally processed. Good luck with it, I know it's hard.

Also, I remember when I went gluten-free, I went through a withdrawal period, you need to get through THAT before attempting an even strickter diet. Find some yummy treats that are gluten-free and even if they aren't the healthiest foods in the world, they will at least be safe for you. My comfort foods are Hershey's Kisses, M&M's, and Skittles...

Nancym Enthusiast

Sounds like carb withdrawls to me.

Really, to be successful any change in eating needs to be planned. You need to have food prepared ahead of time, food on hand to be prepared and menus of what you're going to eat. You really don't want to start out having no idea what you can eat and being hungry on top of that. Otherwise you'll get too overwhelmed. And it helps to have your environment under control. You don't need to have forbidden foods staring you in the face. Put them out of your sight.

I'd suggest backing off the diet and planning and preparing then restarting.

I don't think weakness is your problem, I think lack of preparation is.

Good luck!

jenvan Collaborator

Did you say you had only been gluten-free for 1 week? I wasn't sure what you meant. If so, that is def not enough time to allow the gluten-free diet to start the healing process. Going gluten-free isn't going 1/2 way! The SCD isn't necessary for everyone. Remind him that you are taking the first step, and if that doesn't work, after a good period of time, you'll move on to the next. (That's funny what you said--about him wanting to try it :) ) What are your ongoing symptoms? Maybe a food/symptom journal would help you track other problem foods...

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Did you say you had only been gluten-free for 1 week? I wasn't sure what you meant. If so, that is def not enough time to allow the gluten-free diet to start the healing process. Going gluten-free isn't going 1/2 way! The SCD isn't necessary for everyone. Remind him that you are taking the first step, and if that doesn't work, after a good period of time, you'll move on to the next. (That's funny what you said--about him wanting to try it :) ) What are your ongoing symptoms? Maybe a food/symptom journal would help you track other problem foods...

yeah. I told him that I can only handle the bear minimum right now and that's 100% gluten free, so that's what I am doing.

I was so proud of myself last night, we went to meet someone at Panera Bread and there was nothing there I could eat, but I didn't want to. I saw the big wall of pastries and breads, and bagels and my first thought was "gross". :P

I did a lot better today. However, I accidentally glutened myself... :blink:

I was getting the kids lunches out for the class I teach and I put on gloves so that I didn't "touch the gluten" but then after they were eating I took them off and the kid handed me his sandwich to throw away and I grabbed it, got some jelly on my hand and licked it off?! :angry: I am really going to have to pay more attention. My tummy hurts. I don't know how much is psychosomatic (sp?) and how much is I ate a possible crumblett of gluten. Oh, well. I ain't touching the stuff again. I refuse :D

jenvan Collaborator
yeah. I told him that I can only handle the bear minimum right now and that's 100% gluten free, so that's what I am doing.

I was so proud of myself last night, we went to meet someone at Panera Bread and there was nothing there I could eat, but I didn't want to. I saw the big wall of pastries and breads, and bagels and my first thought was "gross". :P

I did a lot better today. However, I accidentally glutened myself... :blink:

I was getting the kids lunches out for the class I teach and I put on gloves so that I didn't "touch the gluten" but then after they were eating I took them off and the kid handed me his sandwich to throw away and I grabbed it, got some jelly on my hand and licked it off?! :angry: I am really going to have to pay more attention. My tummy hurts. I don't know how much is psychosomatic (sp?) and how much is I ate a possible crumblett of gluten. Oh, well. I ain't touching the stuff again. I refuse :D

Well, small oops, but big victory at Panera--good for you! You'll get better and better at it. Probably all of us have had those initial "oops" I forgot I'm a Celiac moments! I walk down the bread isle now and go "uh, stinky" :blink:

corinne Apprentice

I have been on the SCD for 4 months. I would strongly recommend starting with gluten free/dairy free and keep a diary of your symptoms. Your symptoms will probably start improving in a few months not days. If after a few months gluten free, you're not getting any better, then you need to look at other food sensitivities such as soy or eggs or nightshades. Then you can keep a food diary and see if you can figure out.

The SCD is a "last resort" for those of us who don't improve on a celiac diet and usually have other problems such as colitis besides celiac.

I was still very sick on the celiac diet and went on the SCD. Within a month on the SCD, all symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, nausea, cramps, gas) disappeared and now after being on this diet for 4 months, I am almost off all anti-diarrheal medication.

The SCD is very manageable but you have to plan ahead and be commited to it. For me that commitment came from wanting to get better. It would be hard to commit to this diet because someone else wants you to.

Foodwise, it takes some planning not to be hungry. I went rockclimbing today and hiked a couple of miles too and wasn't starving. I ate: breakfast - carrot and chicken soup, grape juice, morning snack - an egg and carrots, lunch - two burger patties, a bowl of beets and a bowl of spinach, afternoon snack - an egg and 3 cooked pears, dinner - spaghetti squash with homemade spaghetti sauce, bedtimesnack - 4 banana pancakes.

AndreaB Contributor

What is the SCD diet? I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations and am newly gluten free myself. :huh:

jenvan Collaborator
What is the SCD diet? I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations and am newly gluten free myself. :huh:

Andrea-

Read about the diet here: Open Original Shared Link It is typically tried by those with unresponsive Celiac, Crohns or IBD.

Archived