• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Has anyone ever been to the restaurant in NYC, Tropica? I just read at www.glutenfreerestaurants.org that they have a gluten free menu. I'm thinking of trying it out this weekend. Can anyone give me an idea of some of the items on the menu?

Thanks.

I havent tried it yet but i have eaten at several of the restaurants owned by the same company-- i really like their restaurants and have found all of them to be very accomodating. I have been meaning to try Tropica but the hours arent great (i generally only eat out on the weekends so i havent made it there yet). Let me know how it is!!

I ate there once pre-dx and didn't find anything special about it. I think it was for a business thing otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone there in the 1st place. I've never thought to go there again.

Ok, so I ate at Tropica restaurant tonight and I would not recommend it. They had a very small gluten free menu but the items were just things that are naturally gluten free (they didn't have like gluten free bread, pasta, etc.). I believe the choices were steak, chicken, halibut, branzino, and lobster. I decided on the branzino which was stuffed with spinach and tomatoes and drizzled in a butter sauce. I thought the butter sauce was a bit too creamy (I don't really eat much dairy so it may have just been me) and the tomatoes looked like raw meat (I have no idea why...they tasted fine but just looked really strange).

For appetizers they basically had tossed salad, shrimp cocktail, etc. and for dessert they said that they "assumed" the sorbet and ice cream were gluten free but didn't know...so I avoided having dessert. I really don't think I would go back there again.