This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Know A Good Gi Doc In Bloomington, In?

ladybugpumpkin

ladybugpumpkin Contributor

Does anyone know of a good GI doctor in Bloomington, Indiana? I just want to try to avoid getting one of those doctors that gives the "run-around". If there is a doctor in Bloomington that is familiar with dealing with celiac disease and gluten intolerance I would like to visit him/her first. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

I went to Bhandari, and most of the people the support group here used him too. I went in after already being gluten-free for several months and he warned me that I may not show any damage at this point--he was right. But he discovered how bad my reflux had gotten in the 5 years since I had seen him last. He doesn't have the bes bedside manner but it's not horrible either, but, the nurses LOVE him.

He is at IMA and his number is: 333-5973.

There is also Ghosh in town but I don't know anyone with celiac disease or possible celiac disease that has gone to him.

Thanks for your help!! My doctor actually has referred me to Ghosh and I have an appointment in October. I think I'll go ahead and keep that appointment. Maybe he'll also be a good doctor and then there will be 2 good GI docs in Bloomington. If he's not very good, then I'll just go to the other one. Again, thanks for your help!!!

jenvan Collaborator

Sure you two don't just want to come up and kick with me and my GI doc in Indy :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast

I went to Bhandari. He was sure I had celiac when I went into his office, in fact, it was the only thing he was considering except for other autoimmune diseases I might have in addition to it (operating at this point from the assumption I had it) -- I had lost a lot of weight, was so weak I couldn't hold my head up, diarrhea, bruising, fatigue, brain fog, got sick every time I ate wheat.

He did only three biopsies, they should do 6-8. I had been what I thought was gluten-free for a few months before I saw him, but was still getting contamination and the not-so-obvious gluten, and mostly wheat free for three years before that. I had a six week wait for my biopsy so I ate a little more wheat then, but nothing close to the four slices of bread for four months that Dr. Greene, the renowned celiac expert recommends. He admitted that you can have a negative biopsy and still have celiac since they can miss the damage, yet he wouldn't admit the possibility that I had a gluten problem even though I felt so much worse during my gluten challenge and so much better when I went 100% gluten-free. He wanted to start looking at my gall bladder.

So, at first celiac was the only thing he was considering, when the biopsy was negative, he wanted to put me through testing for other things that just didn't make sense given my symptoms. It seemed strange to me since he admitted that the biopsies are known for having false negatives ... they can rule it in, but not out.

My Enterolab testing came back with high positives and two genes for gluten intolerance.

So, he's probably good if your testing comes back showing you positively have it, but he wasn't much of a help for me.

kabowman Explorer

He didn't bring the other stuff up to me. I don't know if it is because I had refused to do a gluten challenge and I felt so much better off the gluten and I think I was off a couple of other things by then too.

However, he only did 3 samples with me too - there is someone in the group that was positively dx by Bhandari. I think Ghosh is supposed to be nicer, per a person I work with whose wife was a nurse at the hospital.

CarlaB Enthusiast
He didn't bring the other stuff up to me. I don't know if it is because I had refused to do a gluten challenge and I felt so much better off the gluten and I think I was off a couple of other things by then too.

However, he only did 3 samples with me too - there is someone in the group that was positively dx by Bhandari. I think Ghosh is supposed to be nicer, per a person I work with whose wife was a nurse at the hospital.

He actually suggested a second gluten challenge to me! He said, well, if you're still thinking it's gluten, you can eat gluten for another six weeks, then we can do another blood test! I said no way! So, now I'm on my own. But my ob/gyn does bloodwork to check various levels when I go in for my yearly checkup.

I don't know what he was thinking because he only would talk to me through the lady who answered the phone. Maybe he just thought that if I felt better off gluten I didn't really need him to do anymore. Who knows?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

ladybugpumpkin - you will need to let us know what happens with Ghosh so we can all compare notes!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Kate, I was going to go to Nick's again yesterday when we dropped our daughter off at IU, but we had the other kids with us and you have to be 18, then you can go in with your parents. So, I ended up buying rice cakes and almond butter at Sahara Mart.

Ladybugpumpkin, Kate has a special dish at Nick's that's wonderful if you end up gluten-free!!!

kabowman Explorer

I tried to go in once with my kids because my dad wanted to go and no dice - can't remember where we ended up but it wasn't there. I thought they allowed kids in after the January no smoking but I guess not.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I tried to go in once with my kids because my dad wanted to go and no dice - can't remember where we ended up but it wasn't there. I thought they allowed kids in after the January no smoking but I guess not.

The sign on the door says 18 and over with parent or legal guardian and only early, not past a certain time (it was just a piece of paper, musta been because of new students). Otherwise, over 21 only. I think it has to do with the strange Indiana bar laws. Here in Ohio, your kid can sit right next to you at the bar ... not that I like that either ... but I'd like to feed my gluten-intolerants at Nicks! Usually I'm there with just my oldest anyway.

Next time I'm in town will be Sept. 29th ... it might be fun for the three of us to get a celiac lunch at Nicks together!

i will definately let you all know what i find out. i've tried the gluten free diet a few days "just to see" and have had remarkable improvement. so i'm pretty sure that's what it is. if you want to read my WHOLE story, i posted it a few days ago on the "Celiac Disease - Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms" thread. it's on the 3rd page, about the 10th post down. let me know what your "professional" opinion is.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It sounds like it could be the problem. Keep strict on the diet for a few months, then challenge it and you will know for sure without expensive testing. The problem with conventional testing is that you can't go gluten-free until it's all finished. For $99 you can do just the gluten sensitivity test with Enterolab and know whether it's a problem for you for sure. I have good insurance and all the bills for the colonoscopy and endoscopy were more expensive than the $500 for the full Enterolab test! Not to mention, when you test with Enterolab, you can go gluten-free first, and you don't have a pre-existing condition because it's not been officially diagnosed.

You don't need to buy a lot of gluten-free food ... meat, chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, fruits, veggies, potatoes, and rice are all naturally gluten-free. Eating this way, whether you have a gluten problem or not, will help you to rebuild your health. Then, if you really like something, say chocolate chip cookies, look for a gluten-free replacement for it.

Are you an IU student? We just dropped my daughter off yesterday! My husband and I are both IU grads.

I am an IU student. I got my Bachelors in Biology at Western Kentucky University, then moved up here for Optometry School. (There isn't one in Kentucky!) I'm 24, married for one year, and live on the west side of town. What about you? What did you get your degree in? Your husband's degree? What's your daughter majoring in?

CarlaB Enthusiast

I know right where that is! Drive out toward Spencer, take the right fork in Whitehall, then go 9/10 mile past the fire station, there's a yellow house on the right with a windmill (and a very ugly new garage that the new owners built). That's our old house! They can't keep up with all the acreage, but it's a pretty place. We live in the Cincinnati area now.

I have a business degree, my husband, public affairs. My daughter is majoring in journalism.

I used to practically live at the westside Starbucks. There is a lady named Evie there who has celiac disease and was diagnosed as a kid.

BTW, I met a guy one day at that Starbucks, actually two of them. One worked for Dr. Doug Bright, the other had a wife with celiac. I wonder if that was your husband. Ask him because he'd remember the conversation ... we all talked for quite some time a couple months ago. The hubby gave me his phone number, but we moved ... maybe that wouldn't have been you, though, since you are just finding out ...

kabowman Explorer

Hey, I lived in the Fieldstone division until 4 years ago - met my current hubby after I bought my 1st after the divorce, house there. I lived on Stardust Way or Circle (used to be Cobblestone but because they had 2 more cobblestones in the neighborhood, they changed it).

Carla, not sure I have ever seen your house but it we go that way, I will be sure to look for it...a visit to Nick's sounds good!

CarlaB Enthusiast

The house is about 900 ft. back from the road, you have to know it's there to notice it. There's a "Watch for school bus" sign on the corner of the property. We built it ... so it's kind of sad to see that the new owners put up an ugly garage and can't take care of it ...

I'll pm you when the 29th gets closer to see if we can meet at Nicks. The last time I ate there the waitress said she had served you before. I think they're starting to get to know me now!

kabowman Explorer

Sounds great...

I just checked and I have a staff meeting from 9-3 that day but we break for lunch and I am free after.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm getting my hair done at 3, usually takes two hours :) So, if lunch works for you, and if you have a break, that would be great! We'll probably take our daughter out to dinner at Cheeseburger that evening.

kabowman Explorer

I can be gone for lunch between 11:15-2:00, whatever will work for you - but I prefer to go when they aren't too busy so early or late, your choice.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Late is good for me ... my appt. is at 3, and I'll be driving over there from Cincy, so that would work out great!

kabowman Explorer

Perfect...now I am off for the day. Have a great evening.

hmmm...that wouldn't have been my husband. he is not a big coffee fan, ha ha ha. he is a manager at the walgreens.

• 3 weeks later...
cmom Contributor

Ok Bloomington girls!!! I go to the Sahara Mart or Bloomingfoods every month or two. Fill me in on Nick's and gluten-free. Is it on Kirkwood or am I mistaken? I am always looking for restaurants in the area where I can eat with my husband since he often does without on my account. Thanks!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Ok Bloomington girls!!! I go to the Sahara Mart or Bloomingfoods every month or two. Fill me in on Nick's and gluten-free. Is it on Kirkwood or am I mistaken? I am always looking for restaurants in the area where I can eat with my husband since he often does without on my account. Thanks!!!

If you go in during the day, and if Raggs is there, you can order "The Kate" and get a very special gluten-free, dairy free meal!!!! Kate can tell more!

Archived