This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Is Beer A Trigger For Celiac's?

capecodda

capecodda Rookie

I am in the process of finding out if I have Celiac Sprue or something related. It seems to me that a couple of times when a digestive episode began, I had had an O'douls or a beer...but then again, I know I had been eating oatmeal or farina as well. Isn't beer made from grains that are on the NO list for Celiacs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ~jules~

Beer makes me really sick. Yes it has barley and malt in it I wouldn't drink it at all. You can have wine, or distilled alcohol, like whiskey, vodka, rum, or none....

capecodda Rookie
Beer makes me really sick. Yes it has barley and malt in it I wouldn't drink it at all. You can have wine, or distilled alcohol, like whiskey, vodka, rum, or none....

Woa..this is exciting and enlightening. I just found the No list for Celiac's and the lightbulbs are blaring! I knew there were certain things that caused me to bloat with excruciating gas (I have come to call it "the Hindenburg reaction")..like the additive maltodextrin that is in so many processed foods but didn't know there was a digestive disorder to attach to it. Can't drink malted milk..anything with malt in it. Actually, 8 years ago when I had a month long bout they deemed it IBS and it was the first time I found out about Sprue and I frantically searched for my own answers. They did every test on me for parasites, the nightmare of a barium enema on my severley dehydrated pencil thin body..They said "oh no..you don't have THAT..and anyways you'd have to have a biopsy during an episode..". I sure hope one of those 7 vials of blood they took show it this Monday. I quit drinking my wine in March because I was getting too deyhdrated from poor absorption and figured whatever my problem was, alcohol was not going to help.

eleep Enthusiast

I actually think my celiac symptoms escalated over the past six or so years when I started to date a guy who was a very huge beer drinker. Prior to dating him, I'd mostly stuck with wine and mixed drinks. However, my father has always been a homebrewer and I'd developed an early appreciation for really good beer -- this guy was a big Guinness fan, and we courted at a local Irish bar where we know the family who owns the place. I began to drink a Guinness/cider combination when we went there (no good wine) and grew accustomed to being more likely to have a decent beer with dinner.

Now, I'm pretty certain that my symptoms go back at least 16 years to college, but I'd had ups and downs with the level of their severity for several years after that -- when I met this guy, I was working pretty closely with a yoga instructor and had cleaned up my diet to the point where I was eating a lot of whole foods and had cut out almost all processed and refined grains -- it was rare for me to eat bread or pasta, although this changed quite a bit over the past few years. When we met, I actually weighed a decent amount and was pretty healthy -- about a year or two into the relationship, the symptoms slowly began to crawl back in and I've been struggling with up and down weight and anxiety/brain fog issues for the past few years. This past year, I cut way back on drinking anything other than water and I'm pretty sure that was one of the things that helped me finally link the symptoms to what I was consuming because I wasn't actually consuming gluten on a day-to-day basis and the ups and downs were more apparent. Of course, I simply thought I was hypoglycemic and had some kind of anxiety-thing going on (I'd dealt with a recent death in the family), but it wasn't until I discovered celiac that I could start to link all of my symptoms together -- including the weird weight fluctuation which seemed to have no connection to how much food I'd been consuming at any given time.

eleep

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I don't know if beer can cause celiac but it sure would cause huge problems because of the barley and malt. Some celiac's can eat oats, I can't.

Erica (eleep) it's good to see you, such a pretty girl you are. It's always so nice to see what people :D look like!

eKatherine Rookie

Cider is a good thing. No need to restrict that.

eleep Enthusiast
Erica (eleep) it's good to see you, such a pretty girl you are. It's always so nice to see what people :D look like!

Thanks -- I really like that picture too! I actually had to do some cropping because my boyfriend snapped it just after I'd gotten out of the shower!

eleep

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
Thanks -- I really like that picture too! I actually had to do some cropping because my boyfriend snapped it just after I'd gotten out of the shower!

eleep

:lol::lol: Good pic!

Beer is a no-no. Way before I knew about celiac, I knew beer made me very sick! Since it's not distilled, we can't drink it, except for the gluten-free beers that are out there.

elonwy Enthusiast

Beer has always made me sick. I've never liked it, because it aways gave me that too-full ucky feeling.

Now I know why.

Elonwy

ianm Apprentice

There are gluten free beers out there. New Grist seems to be the most readily available and is really good.

Lisa Mentor
Woa..this is exciting and enlightening. I just found the No list for Celiac's and the lightbulbs are blaring! I knew there were certain things that caused me to bloat with excruciating gas (I have come to call it "the Hindenburg reaction")..like the additive maltodextrin that is in so many processed foods but didn't know there was a digestive disorder to attach to it. Can't drink malted milk..anything with malt in it. Actually, 8 years ago when I had a month long bout they deemed it IBS and it was the first time I found out about Sprue and I frantically searched for my own answers. They did every test on me for parasites, the nightmare of a barium enema on my severley dehydrated pencil thin body..They said "oh no..you don't have THAT..and anyways you'd have to have a biopsy during an episode..". I sure hope one of those 7 vials of blood they took show it this Monday. I quit drinking my wine in March because I was getting too deyhdrated from poor absorption and figured whatever my problem was, alcohol was not going to help.

Maltodextrin is ok, malt is not. Yea, I know...confusing :)

capecodda Rookie
Maltodextrin is ok, malt is not. Yea, I know...confusing :)

That is confusing. I just know that over the years, certain processed foods would cause bloat and the only similar factor I could find was maltodextrin so it has been a way of life to eliminate foods with that. I suppose there could be something else in those foods doing it. I justr ead somewhere her that there are 2 types of maltodextrin as well..one that is made from malt. Maybe it is that kind.

Nancym Enthusiast

Maltodextrin is made from corn in the us, but it might be barley elsewhere. Some of us don't do so good with corn either.

Rikki Tikki Explorer
Maltodextrin is made from corn in the us, but it might be barley elsewhere. Some of us don't do so good with corn either.

Wow Nancy I just clicked on the link in your signature, very interesting information

Katie618 Apprentice

i think beer was a big trigger for me... at college that was what i mostly drank at parties and i would wake up with a huge rash (Turns out it was the DH) i was just diagnosed in may so now this year i will stay away from beer!! new grist is pretty decent...it tastes like an ale, but this beer is better than none

munchkinette Collaborator

Beer has made me sick for years! Way before I ever had any kind of food issues I had problems with beer. I just felt nauseated after about 1/3 of a beer. I haven't even tried to drink beer in a few years, but I wouldn't want to now!

Vodka also makes me sick for some reason. Even really good vodka, although maybe I just associate it with being sick.

The Von Royale Newbie
Cider is a good thing. No need to restrict that.

but you cant have all ciders. wyders pear and raspberry do contain gluten. i found that out the hard way. i mistook pear for peach (which you can have) and a couple hours later i was really sick...and i havnt been that sick for a long time now. there is also a type of hornsby's that you cant have...i cant remember which one off hand right now.

penguin Community Regular
but you cant have all ciders. wyders pear and raspberry do contain gluten. i found that out the hard way. i mistook pear for peach (which you can have) and a couple hours later i was really sick...and i havnt been that sick for a long time now. there is also a type of hornsby's that you cant have...i cant remember which one off hand right now.

All woodchuck ciders are gluten-free

All Ace ciders are gluten-free

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

It could be. Overeating on gluten could possibly lead to it to activate. So if you have drank alot that could have.

DanBNH Newbie
Open Original Shared Link has relaunched their wheat, barley, malt, & Rye-free beer. It is currently (I believe) the only grain-based beer made in the US. It's made with sorghum (aka buckwheat). Check out the site for states that have it. I drove 5 hrs to get it!!! You can also have a six-pack shipped (although its pricey). Tastes like beer! Enjoy! I've got a stockpile of 5 cases in the basement ;)

Archived