Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munchkinette

How To Get (recently Deceased) Family Medical Records?

Has anyone attempted to get medical records of deceased relatives? My mother offered to try to get my grandmother's medical records in order to help figure out my health problems. My gran died just over a year ago. My mom is now the oldest member of the family, so she remembers the most info of anyone alive, but she doesn't know everything about my gran's medical history. My gran also downplayed the extent of her problems, so we don't know a lot anyway.

Does my uncle (the executor) need to do anything? Do I need an official diagnosis in order to prove I need this stuff? Would we have access to records after a certain amount of time (like 30 years)? Since I worked in a hospital I know all about HIPAA and patient information issues. I just don't know how those issues apply to deceased relatives.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Call the hospital or clinic where your grandmother was a client and ask them. They may need a death certificate and signed permission from the next of kin, but they should be able to tell you exactly what to bring.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I agree that's where to start. But you may need to petition the courts depending on where you live and your state law. Also you might want to contact her doctor, he still may have records and your Uncle may be able to get those a bit easier than from a hospital. And I think the doctors records would provide more info that you need. Hospitals would only have her stays & treatments and her death account if she passed in a hosp.

good luck

mamaw