This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sluggishness After Glutening?

LonelyWolf307

LonelyWolf307 Rookie

Does anyone else get sluggish after an accidental glutening? I had something yesterday that must have gotten some of the wheat flour dust that I have for baking stuff for everyone else in the family/when I feel like making cookies to bring to the nursing home residents I work with on it. I feel like a slug today, and while I know I'm not physically tired, and I'm not hungry or anything, I just can't get moving at all. Does anyone else get like this, and how long will it take until it's worn off and I have the energy to go for a run or something again?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast

I get really bad that way. I can relate very much. I haven't been off Gluten more than like 4-5 months so I still feel sluggish pretty much always, but I do get worse the times I have gotten glutened.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I feel fatigued, too. Mine lasts 8 days.

I would suggest not cooking with wheat flour. It would be nearly impossible not to get glutened. If you feel that the cookies must have gluten, then buy the premade dough. I, personally, would just make gluten-free cookies. Usually when I do, no one notices the difference.

LonelyWolf307 Rookie

That's probably a good idea - but I can't afford to make cookies out of rice flours, so my dad and everyone else will just have to go without. I only bake breads for myself because that's what's most economical, being a college student who has more than enough on her plate without making the part-time job a full-time by doing night shifts at the nursing home as well. I'm always good about washing my hands VERY thoroughly (damn medical training taught me to wash my hands relatively obsessively), but I use the same pans and dishes as my dad does, who still eats gluten and won't go gluten-free. Am I damned to keep getting glutened because of possibly contaminated dishes until I move out or if I wash them thoroughly enough can I avoid it? I really can't afford to keep getting glutened - I ride my bike to and from work and school, half an hour ride up and down hills each way, and am on my feet lifting and rolling old people all day, and because I tend to cause problems and on rare occasion accidents when I'm this sluggish I really can't afford get this tired.

gfp Enthusiast

Yes..... more when I have the energy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Yes..... more when I have the energy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, forgot you got glutened! Wondered where you had been ... hope you're feeling better soon!

It's difficult to have a "mixed" household. Just be sure you're not sharing toasters, wooden spoons, cutting boards, peanut butter, mayo or anything else that might get contaminated by a knife getting put back in the jar with crumbs, etc. I'm sure it was the flour .... when it's airborn, you can't help but breathe it in, then some gets in your throat, and you're glutened.

LonelyWolf307 Rookie

Yeah, it could very easily have been the flour dust, if nothing else getting on my food and contaminating it. I eat little other than fresh fruits, soy by-products and beans, fresh veggies, and small amounts of brown rice, grits, and mashed potato flakes. On rare occasion I'll have some gluten-free bread that is oil-free save some flax seed I use as oil replacement, but I don't like to do that because it has egg whites in it as egg replacer doesn't work well for me in bread recipes. Perhaps I should wear a surgical mask while making anything with flour in it? Or just stop making anything with flour in it and see if that clears things up after a month or two.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yep, I get ... slow. No other real way to describe it.

Mandy F. Apprentice

I get major fatigue and feel "slow" as it was so well put... It happens really quick and can last for a couple of days. The only thing I have found that helps is Naked Juice-Mango Motion. I don't know what it is about that drink that really helps, but it definetly gives me a boost for a little while... Long enough to make it through some tasks anyway.

Good luck with everything!

gfp Enthusiast
I get major fatigue and feel "slow" as it was so well put... It happens really quick and can last for a couple of days. The only thing I have found that helps is Naked Juice-Mango Motion. I don't know what it is about that drink that really helps, but it definetly gives me a boost for a little while... Long enough to make it through some tasks anyway.

Good luck with everything!

Somehow I can't help thinking of a Seinfeld episode!

eKatherine Rookie
That's probably a good idea - but I can't afford to make cookies out of rice flours, so my dad and everyone else will just have to go without. I only bake breads for myself because that's what's most economical, being a college student who has more than enough on her plate without making the part-time job a full-time by doing night shifts at the nursing home as well. I'm always good about washing my hands VERY thoroughly (damn medical training taught me to wash my hands relatively obsessively), but I use the same pans and dishes as my dad does, who still eats gluten and won't go gluten-free. Am I damned to keep getting glutened because of possibly contaminated dishes until I move out or if I wash them thoroughly enough can I avoid it? I really can't afford to keep getting glutened - I ride my bike to and from work and school, half an hour ride up and down hills each way, and am on my feet lifting and rolling old people all day, and because I tend to cause problems and on rare occasion accidents when I'm this sluggish I really can't afford get this tired.

Is it just you that's poverty-stricken, or is it your whole family?

Where do you live? Any Asian store should have white rice flour for less than a dollar a pound. Even if you had to pay two dollars a pound, it's cheaper than missing a day of work...but...

If your dad wants you to make cookies for him, it's reasonable that he should be buying your ingredients, considering you can't afford to buy them yourself - whether or not you would be cooking gluten-free. There's no need for you to subsidize his food budget Tell him you're out of money and you'd like a twenty. Then keep track of the costs and go back for more money when you need it.

marciab Enthusiast

Me, too. I have been eating out for about a week now and I have been glutened sooo many times I feel violated. :blink:

I have company in, so I'm off to socialize .... ;) How do ya'll deal with all the cross contamination issues ?

I miss my loneliness .... Marcia

gfp Enthusiast
Is it just you that's poverty-stricken, or is it your whole family?

Where do you live? Any Asian store should have white rice flour for less than a dollar a pound. Even if you had to pay two dollars a pound, it's cheaper than missing a day of work...but...

or as you said before we were talking about "the cost of a gluten-free diet" .... A lot lot cheaper than dealing with the long term effects like thyroid damage or cancer.

(when you said that it really put it into perspective!)

gabby Enthusiast

Use a dust mask when baking! Sounds crazy, but it works. just go down to the hardware store and grab a package of those white masks that have a metal part that pinches over the bridge of your nose. They are usually in the wood/saws or paint section. Put one on before you do any baking, and DON"T TAKE IT OFF until you have finished cleaning everything up.

I don't regularly bake with wheat flour, but last christmas I made cookies with wheat flour and I used one of these masks. It helped.

chgomom Enthusiast

I have a mask and glvoes now, and I use premade cookie dough for my son, where I just use gloves to put it on the sheet.

Archived