Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turtle

Does Anyone Have Any Feedback?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know much about beer. I know beer (in general) is not safe for Celiacs, but I don't know if its the hops or what the process/ingredients there is that make it not safe. I'm sure a beer lover on here will know.

Licorice-Like with most processed foods, it depends on the brand. Post ingredients and we'll help out. I am not a big licorice eater, but I'm sure there has to be a safe one out there! Plus, with halloween coming up, I'm sure they'll be many discussions on safe candy!

good luck!

Hops alone would not make a product unsafe.

Licorice candy almost always has wheat, although there are a couple that don't. If you mean licorice as an ingredient, I can't say.

richard

Depends on the licorice. like Richard said, most of the candy has wheat. I drink licorice tea made with licorice root, and it's fine.

In beer, it's not the hops that has gluten, it's the barley, or wheat and barley if it's wheat beer. There are gluten-free beers available.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I imagine there's also a big difference in the ingredients for that fake licorice junk candy, and the real thing. They sure taste different too.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I dont' know what the hops question is about, and I don't know if you're a beer drinker.

But I'm working on getting New Grist into Bar None. I've never been much of a beer drinker myself, but once it was taken away from me it started to sound really good.

Also, a friend of mine bought me some fancy licorace - Trader Joe's, I think. And the first ingredient on it was wheat. So that was sad.

-Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Okay...I first want to apologize for not being clearer about my post/question. :huh: OOPS!!

When I asked about Hops and Licorice I was asking more specifically about products that have these ingredients in them such as shampoos, lotions, etc. I wrote that post this morning and i'm going on about 3 hours of sleep so no wonder it made no sense. HA!

As for beer...I like New Grist...

Courtney: COOL trying to get it into Bar None! I haven't been able to find any gluten-free beer here and therefore, travel out of state to get it. (Shhh don't turn me in for smuggling it in, haha). Last I talked to Earthfare here(which has been a few months) they said they would likely get some Bard's Tale at some point, but that New Grist would not be on the shelves b/c of the alcohol content???? Okay...whatever! I haven't pressed the issue b/c i've been satisfied just picking it up when i'm in our neighboring state...

~Turtle~

YES!

Thanks Nancym.

I've been checking out some face, hair, etc. products and some of them have Hops and/or Licorice in them.

~Turtle~

My husband just found out he may have celiac and he is a big beer drinker. So if anyone can give me the name of the gluten free beers that would be great.

RedBridge beer is gluten free and sold pretty universally (atleast in New England).

I know of three kinds of licorice that is gluten-free. Running Rabbit, Candy Tree and Orgran. Of the three, the Running Rabbit can seem a bit strange if you get any of the "red" flavors. Unlike something like Twizzlers or Red Vines, it is not just a fruit flavor. It is fruit plus licorice.

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I tried Bards Tale at a Celiac conference. To me, it tastes like every other beer I've ever had. So, I guess that's a good thing. =)

Licorice ROOT is gluten free. However, licorice candy- as already stated- usually is not.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Redbridge Beer is availible at Fred Meyers

made from Sorghum

Whole family is allergic to Gluten, eggs, dairy, most are allergic to garlic. Few other various allergies.

Did you know it's best to wait until 21 months to give a baby wheat??