This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sudden Urges To Throw Up?

key

key Contributor

This is really bothering me. The past few weeks on and off I will be doing anything or be somewhere and just feel like I am going to throw up. I get panicky and it is an aweful feeling. My heart starts racing and I feel a bit nauseated. I have never thrown up when this happens, but I am extremely good at not throwing up. Knock on wood, I haven't thrown up in about 20 years. When this happens, I will try and breathe deep and I have to get away from wherever I am and sort of calm down. It goes away, but usually I do seem to have some indigestion with it. I am wondering specifically if it is from reflux. I seem to get reflux when gluttened. This was happening to me sometime a year ago or so when I tried introducing "gluten free oatmeal". When I stopped it went away that time.

I have been pretty unsuccessful with Prilosec for heartburn. It seems to make me sick after four days or so on it.

This happened to me last week while I was getting my hair done and I had to tell her I couldn't finish it, because I wasn't feeling well. I felt like a freak! I am really sick of this and want to know what is going on.

Sometimes I don't seem to be able to figure out how I have been gluttened. I don't eat out anymore at all. I do still make my son sandwiches for his lunch out of regular bread. I also still use shampoo and conditioner with wheat (I know horror of horrors!!!), but I can't find a shampoo that I like that is gluten free.

I am doing so much better, but I feel like I am still getting gluttened more often then I would like.

Thanks for any advice,

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

Hi Monica- This is my primary symptom when I've been glutened. I just feel like I'm gonna lose my cookies (and I usually do). i have reflux too so I think that plays into it as well.

Honestly, you've got to STOP using shampoo with wheat in it. There are tons of brands without gluten. In my shower right now I have Neutrogena shampoo and conditioner with no gluten, a Sebastian shampoo with no gluten, Burt's bee's conditioner with no gluten. most companies will clearly list gluten but I've had the best luck with Neutrogena, Burt's Bee's and sebastian.

i bet if you stop using a shampoo with wheat in it, you'll get glutened much less!

Hope you feel better.

Lisa Mentor

Monica:

Bev said some really good things. If you don't want to be sick, you have to make some changes.

I would also like to add, that you can make your son lunch that is not gluten free, but wash your hands well and all the utensils that you use. That would make a big advancement in a gluten free environment for you.

You should also check your hair products, getting color, or shampoo and conditioner, at the hairdresser.

I have learned here on the forum that some people who have been gluten free for some time, often find their reaction to gluten more intense. If you remove gluten from your diet, your body recognizes the invasion of gluten more distinctly and responds as such.

I do hope that you feel better soon.

Lisa

NoGluGirl Contributor
This is really bothering me. The past few weeks on and off I will be doing anything or be somewhere and just feel like I am going to throw up. I get panicky and it is an aweful feeling. My heart starts racing and I feel a bit nauseated. I have never thrown up when this happens, but I am extremely good at not throwing up. Knock on wood, I haven't thrown up in about 20 years. When this happens, I will try and breathe deep and I have to get away from wherever I am and sort of calm down. It goes away, but usually I do seem to have some indigestion with it. I am wondering specifically if it is from reflux. I seem to get reflux when gluttened. This was happening to me sometime a year ago or so when I tried introducing "gluten free oatmeal". When I stopped it went away that time.

I have been pretty unsuccessful with Prilosec for heartburn. It seems to make me sick after four days or so on it.

This happened to me last week while I was getting my hair done and I had to tell her I couldn't finish it, because I wasn't feeling well. I felt like a freak! I am really sick of this and want to know what is going on.

Sometimes I don't seem to be able to figure out how I have been gluttened. I don't eat out anymore at all. I do still make my son sandwiches for his lunch out of regular bread. I also still use shampoo and conditioner with wheat (I know horror of horrors!!!), but I can't find a shampoo that I like that is gluten free.

I am doing so much better, but I feel like I am still getting gluttened more often then I would like.

Thanks for any advice,

Monica

Dear Monica,

That is exactly how I felt when being glutened as well. The nausea could just come out of nowhere. It got to the point I could not even leave the house for a long time. The reflux even with a double dose of Prilosec daily was so bad, I actually had to sleep practically sitting straight up! Since going gluten-free, it has improved. Getting glutened can happen in a variety of ways. Your shampoo is a possibility. Check your make-up, too. Toothpaste is something else you need to watch out for, along with mouthwash. It is overwhelming the possibilities. Dishes are a possible source of gluten. You need to be careful and make sure they are properly cleaned, especially if food containing gluten has been cooked in them. According to the threads I have read, you need to be using your own cooking utensils and pots. Also, one woman got glutened from her food storage containers not too long ago. Make sure to have your own. Do not let anyone else use them! I am the only gluten-free person in our family, so you can imagine how paranoid I feel. Be sure to clean off the can opener, too. People who are not gluten-free in your home may use it to open something with gluten in it, and that could make you ill, too. :( I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I never get glutened in my home, unless I do buy something without reading the ingredients. I use Pantene shampoo, Garnier Nutresse for hair color, I have used Gleem toothpaste since I was a child.

I had a friend spend her vacation here with me this fall. She knows all about my celiacs and yet I was so nervous with her in the house. She had cookies everywhere, crackers, etc--I was afraid so much of the things being here as I was of her wiping up crumbs and me getting them from the dish cloth or something. I did all the dishes, just to be sure. I was totally exhausted after she left.

My daughter gets the nausea and vomiting, yet she doesnt want to be tested, doesnt want to know.

key Contributor

Thanks for your help guys. I think it is probably related to reflux. I haven't had it happen since I started Prilosec four days ago. I think I will go to a GI doctor here and have a scope done. I haven't ever had one done yet. The prilosec hasn't completely improved my symptoms, but seems to have helped a little bit. I am going to go dairy free and sugar free for awhile and see if that helps. I already don't eat meat, so it is hard to give everything up.

I hate to throw up, so I will do anything not to. Which is what I do, so I don't actually throw up, but just feel like I might and then it passes, but I almost always have indigestion when it happens.

Thanks,

Monica

ashlpiatt Newbie

i get really sick when i eat an kind of breads, wheats, and milk....i throw up at least 3 times a day. i don't know if i have ciliac disease , i haven't been tested yet, but i really do belive that there is a chance that i do. iam usually very drowsy and sluggish after i eat. the other big problem that i have is that my body is completely swollen, especially my face. after i eat i feel like i have just been Poisoned. i use to be very very thin, and now iam at about 200 lbs...but it doesn't feel like fat, it feels like water bags. last year i went on a diet to were all i ate was meats and sourcruat and pickles..i lost 20lbs with in three weeks...and i stopped throwing up, the swelling went down completely, and i felt very energetic. however i gave in and began to eat breads again..and again the weight and sluggish feelings all came back..i know that iam not supposed to be this big and swollen, i wish someone could just look at the stretch marks that are all over my body...i would be very greatful if anyone could give me some advise.....

*ash*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

I think if you are sick that many times a day, you could have celiac disease. AT least see a GI doctor to run blood tests and do a biopsy of your small intestine. Celiac disease can cause weight gain in some people.

Sorry you have been sick. I hope you find the answers soon.

Monica

Guest Norah022

I have this probalem with my reflux. I know exactly how you feel and everyone thinks I am crazy when i describe it to them. It happens a lot when i eat too much food...even though it really isn't a lot of food.

I am on Aciphex for my adic reflux and i am slowly starting to notice a change.

key Contributor

Norah,

Have you tried Nexium or Prilosec?? I am taking prilosec now for four or five days. It is helping somewhat I suppose. I am vegetarian, gluten free and today just went dairy free and sugar free! IT SUCKS! I don't know what to eat and currently my stomach is growling, because I am SO hungry!

I have had baked potatoe (plain with salt), cooked carrots, banana and applesauce. I don't know what to eat! I just can't stand eating and then feeling sick. Sometimes I would feel fine after eating and then another time feel sick. It is crazy! I am not sure how this will work.

What does Aciphex do?

I am so glad I posted about this. I was thinking that I was losing my mind or something. I hate being 32 years old with all this stuff I shouldn't have until I am like 90 years old!

Monica

Amanda L Rookie

I used to feel like that a lot, which is NOT cool since I have this paralyzing fear of throwing up. I found that taking 40 mg of Nexium twice a day helps.

NoGluGirl Contributor
I used to feel like that a lot, which is NOT cool since I have this paralyzing fear of throwing up. I found that taking 40 mg of Nexium twice a day helps.

Dear AmandaL,

I have that fear too. I avoid vomiting whenever possible. It is horrible. I live in fear of stomach flus. I take Prilosec twice daily, 20mg. I do better now that I am not eating gluten. Even with all of that medication, it seemed to wear off after a short time when I ate anything with gluten. I got dry heaves so bad after I ate waffles, and could not figure out why. Since giving up gluten, that fixed that situation. I also had a gallbladder removed a few years ago, but nothing really improved. Finally, the gluten thing came to light after I switched doctors in May. The nausea was so bad and constant, it never went away. Reflux also can be caused by an overgrowth of Candida yeast in the system. I may have that as well. There is still testing needing done for that.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived