This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got Really Sick This Afternoon

happy4dolphins

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

HI,

I had gotten sick on Halloween night after eating a snickers and again today after I had one. I thought snickers was g/ f, is it not? Must have something in there that's bugging me.

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
HI,

I had gotten sick on Halloween night after eating a snickers and again today after I had one. I thought snickers was g/ f, is it not? Must have something in there that's bugging me.

Nicole

Was the snikers a full size bar or a "mini"?

key Contributor

I had the mini one's and the mini reeses and felt sick too. I don't know. They are supposed to be gluten free, I thought.

Monica

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi there,

I have the same problems after I eat snickers. And it doesn't matter, if it's mini or a regular size bar. One of my students, who also has celiac said, that the coco butter in the snickers and other chocolate candy bothered her. After she told me, I tried several gluten-free candy bars with coco butter in them and actually they all bothered me as well.

Stef

Lisa Mentor

Hey Stef:

Long time no see. Are you still competing?

I have a new user name, btw.

Lisa Baker

gf4life Enthusiast

Almost all of the mini candy bars are NOT gluten-free, there is something they do in the processing of the minis that makes them contaminated even if the labels seem okay. It is the same with the holiday shaped bars they make for Christmas and Easter too. My kids are okay with this, since it means they get to eat a full size bar! ;) We just say no to all mini bars since I am not willing to risk it... There are still plenty of choices of candies they get to eat, and lots of them come in the little packs at halloween.

Lisa Mentor

hisssssssss to all the minis in the world. <_<<_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SchnauzerMom Rookie

My hubby and I had reactions to the minis too. They came in a mixed bag with candy that had gluten so I guess it was a combination of things. Staying away from minis now too.

Nantzie Collaborator
Almost all of the mini candy bars are NOT gluten-free, there is something they do in the processing of the minis that makes them contaminated even if the labels seem okay. It is the same with the holiday shaped bars they make for Christmas and Easter too. My kids are okay with this, since it means they get to eat a full size bar! ;) We just say no to all mini bars since I am not willing to risk it... There are still plenty of choices of candies they get to eat, and lots of them come in the little packs at halloween.

Ahhh.... It all makes sense now.

Grr...

Guest dreams25

Hey Guys,

In Australia... Snickers is definatly not gluten free, contains wheat flour here... sigh...

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses, that explains a few things then. It was a mini and I had two of them. No, on Halloween night I had a big bar and it wasn't qutie so dramatic for my intestines.

Nicole

Gamecreature Rookie

That does it, I'm dumping the minis! Sigh. Oh well, at least half of my family will be happy. :)

megzmc3611 Rookie

Do you happen to know if the mini bags of M&M's (peanut butter ones) are gluten-free?

Thanks!!!

Green12 Enthusiast
hisssssssss to all the minis in the world. <_<<_<

:lol::lol:

gf4life Enthusiast

All M & M's are gluten-free (even the mini packs), except the Crispy M & M's. They don't make them anymore, but that doesn't mean there aren't some still lurking in the stores!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Even the minis where the regular size bar is gluten-free? I don't understand that at all. The labels should indicate gluten, shouldn't they? Or are you talking cross-contamination not ingredient changes?

loraleena Contributor

I felt terrible after eating the mini packs of m+m's. Maybe too much sugar?

Ann D. Newbie
HI,

Nicole

HI,

Nicole

Hi, I'm new to this thing. I was just recently diagnosed. I have problems with snickers also. But for me it's the dairy and the sugar as I'm lactose intolerant and fructose intolerant in addition to celiac. I got really sick after Halloween because I couldn't resist the snickers. Hope you're feeling better.

gf4life Enthusiast
Even the minis where the regular size bar is gluten-free? I don't understand that at all. The labels should indicate gluten, shouldn't they? Or are you talking cross-contamination not ingredient changes?

Well each brand is a little different. Hersheys miniatures do not get the vat cleaned out between batches, so they all eventually get some contamination with the not gluten-free rice crispies, although some more than others, which would explain why one person might not have as bad a reaction as someone else. But is it wortht he risk?

With Snickers, 3 Musketeers, and others like those,it is my understanding that there seems to be something containing gluten on the conveyer belt in the processing, and since it isn't an "ingredient" it doesn't have to be on the label. It could be that they use the same lines for all of the different minis that company makes and not all of the are gluten-free, so there is cross-contamination on the lines. They do not process the regular bars the same way. I believe they might have dedicated lines with the big bars, since they make far more of those each year.

Like I said each company is slightly different. You can call, but depending on who you get a hold of, many of the customer service reps just read the paper that says "check the ingredients"...

My opinion is that it is just not worth eating the minis of any brand. Of course I say this as I sit here with 5 bags of Peanut Chews minis in my bedroom. But that is slightly different. See the Peanut Chews have always been the same size, they come in a bar of 6 or 8 minis (regular or king size) on a cardboard sleeve. So the minis are the same bar split apart and wrapped in individual pieces. I just bought a ton of them because my kids like them and I won't have to open a whole bar and split it, I can just give then each a mini or two. I had never seen these as minis before and they are the only chocolate candy bar mini my kids are allowed to eat.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Thanks Mariann. I'll have to call and check. Ty is asymptomatic, and I've always gotten the "check the label" line. I suppose I figured that the cleaning procedures, etc. would be the same regardless of what's next on the assembly line.

We pretty much stick to Hershey's for the Halloween treats because we can get a bag with all gluten-free chocolate bars and that's better for us than getting the Nestles "Safe to Share" because Ty can only have one of the four chocolates offered in those boxes.

gf4life Enthusiast
We pretty much stick to Hershey's for the Halloween treats because we can get a bag with all gluten-free chocolate bars and that's better for us than getting the Nestles "Safe to Share" because Ty can only have one of the four chocolates offered in those boxes.

What Hershey's minis are you giving your son that are supposedly gluten free? I was under the impression that they are all contaminated with gluten due to the rice krispies in the Krackle bars...

Please call the company and find out if the minis you give your son are made differently than the regular minis that are all mixed in the same vat of melted chocolate and thus cross-contaminated.

Also remember that many chocolates that are not gluten free are usually because of either cookie products in them (and the label would clearly say wheat) or because of barley malt in the rice krispies. Since barley is not considered one of the major allergens it is not required to be on the allergen label, but it makes the candy NOT gluten free. This is the issue with the minis that are cross-contaminated in the processing with either the Nestles Crunch or Hersheys Krackle bars...

LoriBelle Newbie

What about the Reese's mini peanut butter cups? Anyone know about them being gluten-free? I actually splurged and bought a whole bag of these just the other day. I'm trying to find some sweet thing that I can eat when I'm hungry but don't want to eat. I was eating one or two Werther's chewy caramels a day until I caught sight of the word "WHEAT" on the back of the package as I was thowing it away. :( To think that I had been eating gluten daily for the last two years has me soooooo upset. No wonder I still looked like hell and felt horrible for at least an hour or two every single day. :angry:

So, should I just throw the mini peanut butter cups away? :unsure: And if I should, what tasty little candy can I eat? I need a little something to look forward to every day that I know I can eat that will taste yummy.

chgomom Enthusiast

Definitely do NOT eat Snickers of any kind....not only are the plants at high risk for cross contamination due to the manufacturing process, but its like putting motor oil on your intestines because of the hydrogenated oils. They might technically be gluten free...but they are not ok to eat....lots of us on here get sick form them but some still push them as ok.

I guess its up to each individual if they want to take the risk of putting garbage into their body....

I dunno...but not me anymore...I got sick too many time strying Snickers...regular bars.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
What Hershey's minis are you giving your son that are supposedly gluten free? I was under the impression that they are all contaminated with gluten due to the rice krispies in the Krackle bars...

Please call the company and find out if the minis you give your son are made differently than the regular minis that are all mixed in the same vat of melted chocolate and thus cross-contaminated.

Also remember that many chocolates that are not gluten free are usually because of either cookie products in them (and the label would clearly say wheat) or because of barley malt in the rice krispies. Since barley is not considered one of the major allergens it is not required to be on the allergen label, but it makes the candy NOT gluten free. This is the issue with the minis that are cross-contaminated in the processing with either the Nestles Crunch or Hersheys Krackle bars...

I've never even heard of Hersheys Krackle. That must be a U.S. thing, and we're in Canada. According to the label and the girl who said they "clearly label all gluten containing ingredients" (I did NOT ask about cleaning vats/run lines as I figured they were careful with the minis as they are with the bigs.)

He's been eating mini Oh Henry, Glossettes Peanuts, Glossettes Raisins, Single serving Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, mini plain Hershey Chocolate bar and a pkg of 2 Hershey Kisses. The label indicates that there are no gluten ingredients in any of them.

Of the Nestles he only gets the Aeros because the Kit Kats, Smarties (similar to M&Ms) and Coffee Crisp all have wheat in them.

gf4life Enthusiast
I've never even heard of Hersheys Krackle. That must be a U.S. thing, and we're in Canada. According to the label and the girl who said they "clearly label all gluten containing ingredients" (I did NOT ask about cleaning vats/run lines as I figured they were careful with the minis as they are with the bigs.)

He's been eating mini Oh Henry, Glossettes Peanuts, Glossettes Raisins, Single serving Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, mini plain Hershey Chocolate bar and a pkg of 2 Hershey Kisses. The label indicates that there are no gluten ingredients in any of them.

Of the Nestles he only gets the Aeros because the Kit Kats, Smarties (similar to M&Ms) and Coffee Crisp all have wheat in them.

Sorry, I did not realise that you were in Canada (even though it clearly says it in your profile under your username...)

I've never heard of most of those candies and there is the possiblity that their processing is different there than in the U.S..

Loribelle, Reese's minis are gluten free.

Archived