This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alaska On Holland America

dragonmom

dragonmom Apprentice

Has anyone had any experience on a cruise to Alaska on Holland America? We're going in July- I know a long time off but I was just hoping someone had had a good experience .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

redsdf Newbie
Has anyone had any experience on a cruise to Alaska on Holland America? We're going in July- I know a long time off but I was just hoping someone had had a good experience .

Hi, I went on Holland America cruise to Alaska about 3 years ago. Prior to going I contacted the cooking staff and spoke with the chef. They were able to purchase Gluten Free items for me and even made me special gluten-free meals daily. Now the food itself wasn't the greatest, but they did go through a lot of effort to accommodate me. They even made me a gluten-free pizza for one meal. Just make sure you contact the cruiseline ahead of time.

dragonmom Apprentice

Thanks for the information, I appreciate the response. I really don't expect them to fawn over me , I don't think I could take that , but I do appreciate that they consider what I need to survive. :) Was it a beautiful cruise, I've been looking at the pictures of the area and it looks great!

Guest Kathy Ann

Just a quick caution from a person who did NOT have a good food experience on a cruise to Alaska (on another cruise line). Check with them frequently beforehand if you can. Make sure they all actually "get it" and honestly prepare for your needs. Speak particularly to the people in charge who have the power to solve the problems. Bring as many tasty, nutritious snack foods that you can in case things don't go quite as well as you would like. Remember that you are a captive audience on a cruise and you have nowhere else to eat. Regrettably, I was too wimpy and shy to stick up for myself and remained honestly hungry and disappointed throughout most of it. I have additional allergies to dairy, soy and eggs which certainly made it more difficult. But I have every confidence that most ships are completely capable of doing a great job on this. Just speak up frequently and you'll be fine. I certainly plan to do it differently next time! :)

Archived