This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blue Diamond Growers Almond Nut-thins

Michi8

Guest Kathy Ann

One more comment about the dairy included in these crackers. If I were in charge of product development for any food company, I would try to cater to as many markets as I could to stay safely diversified with a broad base. If I could use arrowroot or tapioca or some other less allergenic starch instead of cornstarch to help those with corn allergies, for instance, I would. If I could leave out other major allergens like dairy to particularly catch the autistic market right now, I would do that too. If I could use brown rice instead of white to add nutrition and make the health food crowd happy, that would be a good move. And if I could use another sweetener like honey, fruit juice or something instead of sugar, it would help a whole lot of people. My point is that the more allergens you remove, the bigger market share you might get, not to mention just being a better and more useful company. I often wonder who's in charge of those departments, based on the choices I see companies making. The only reason this matters so much to me is that I'm one who has a lot of other allergies besides gluten. And I have a really tough time finding any acceptable prepared foods at all. I think companies could improve in this area if they really wanted to.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frenchiemama Collaborator
One more comment about the dairy included in these crackers. If I were in charge of product development for any food company, I would try to cater to as many markets as I could to stay safely diversified with a broad base. If I could use arrowroot or tapioca or some other less allergenic starch instead of cornstarch to help those with corn allergies, for instance, I would. If I could leave out other major allergens like dairy to particularly catch the autistic market right now, I would do that too. If I could use brown rice instead of white to add nutrition and make the health food crowd happy, that would be a good move. And if I could use another sweetener like honey, fruit juice or something instead of sugar, it would help a whole lot of people. My point is that the more allergens you remove, the bigger market share you might get, not to mention just being a better and more useful company. I often wonder who's in charge of those departments, based on the choices I see companies making. The only reason this matters so much to me is that I'm one who has a lot of other allergies besides gluten. And I have a really tough time finding any acceptable prepared foods at all. I think companies could improve in this area if they really wanted to.

It's all about the bottom line, though. They can sell more "regular" products than specialty products, and they want to use the cheapest ingredients possible. They also go by what the majority of consumers want - which is cheap, super salty, and super sweet. Sad but true.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am on board with Karen, I do the same thing she does, contains wheat is a no go but being processed in a facility containing wheat. I will give it a try. I eat a lot of Enjoy Life products and they are made without the Allergens and some are quite tasty. It can be done. But like previously stated they want to sell a product that will be bought be a bigger audience.

Guest Kathy Ann
It's all about the bottom line, though. They can sell more "regular" products than specialty products, and they want to use the cheapest ingredients possible. They also go by what the majority of consumers want - which is cheap, super salty, and super sweet. Sad but true.

I know you're right. It's such a shame that money has to always determine policy. I'm all for profits, but for me integrity has to be right up there too. I just solve it all by making everything myself. Not convenient, but MUCH safer.

To save money in that way is one of the saddest but true statements.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Many people think I over do it but I will NOT under any circumstances consume something that is marked as processed in the facility as wheat. Period. I have had to learn the hard way that it is not worth the crap shoot. I greatly appretiate a company telling me about the possiblity of CC, companies like Lays had made me very ill in the beggining many times because they don't do this. I live in an area with a Wegmans and have never had a CC issue with any of their products. I don't do mainstream foods for the most part because frankly I have been gotten to often.

Please don't stop posting your questions, yes sometimes there are folks who can seem to be a bit harsh but we have to remember that it is hard sometimes to communicate on boards when we can not have a face and tone to help us deciper. Some folks are also not totally off gluten which can effect the tone and temper of both the poster and the reader. Some folks like myself are also extremely busy and sometimes we just get to the point. That can also make us seem like we don't care or that we might think the question 'silly'. There are no questions not worth asking. Please don't be afraid to post any, on anything.

Michi8 Contributor
Many people think I over do it but I will NOT under any circumstances consume something that is marked as processed in the facility as wheat. Period. I have had to learn the hard way that it is not worth the crap shoot. I greatly appretiate a company telling me about the possiblity of CC, companies like Lays had made me very ill in the beggining many times because they don't do this. I live in an area with a Wegmans and have never had a CC issue with any of their products. I don't do mainstream foods for the most part because frankly I have been gotten to often.

Since you feel that way about the CC issue, how do you feel about a product being clearly advertised as supporting celiac, but then having a small CYA statement buried on the side panel?

Of course that little "we support celiac" label is all about marketing...it may seem like they "really care" about this issue, but, quite frankly, if it weren't for potential profit, then the label wouldn't be there. I may not know that much about the manufacturing process, but I did work in marketing...and my husband still does...there's always a spin. :)

Please don't stop posting your questions, yes sometimes there are folks who can seem to be a bit harsh but we have to remember that it is hard sometimes to communicate on boards when we can not have a face and tone to help us deciper. Some folks are also not totally off gluten which can effect the tone and temper of both the poster and the reader. Some folks like myself are also extremely busy and sometimes we just get to the point. That can also make us seem like we don't care or that we might think the question 'silly'. There are no questions not worth asking. Please don't be afraid to post any, on anything.

Yes, I can just get to the point sometimes too (although I also have my tendency to ramble at times as well.) In this particular thread, though, responses have been mostly in opposition...I feel like it's been a battle against me...and had hoped to hear from more people who may support my concerns.

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Since you feel that way about the CC issue, how do you feel about a product being clearly advertised as supporting celiac, but then having a small CYA statement buried on the side panel?

Of course that little "we support celiac" label is all about marketing...it may seem like they "really care" about this issue, but, quite frankly, if it weren't for potential profit, then the label wouldn't be there. I may not know that much about the manufacturing process, but I did work in marketing...and my husband still does...there's always a spin. :)

Yes, I can just get to the point sometimes too (although I also have my tendency to ramble at times as well.) In this particular thread, though, responses have been mostly in opposition...I feel like it's been a battle against me...and had hoped to hear from more people who may support my concerns.

Michelle

You can support something but not always go by those rules. You may support, for instance, condom use to prevent AIDS, but not always use one in your marriage because you are monogomous. You may support, for instance, healthy diets, but offer less healthy treats in your product line. And you can support celiac disease foundations, be produced in shared facilities, and be really conscientious about cleaning procedures. Just because it's marketing doesn't mean it's also false.

Eh... I suppose I don't see the consternation... Not everyone is always going to agree with you. Heavens knows I've had it happen to me too. :):lol:

Michi8 Contributor
You can support something but not always go by those rules. You may support, for instance, condom use to prevent AIDS, but not always use one in your marriage because you are monogomous. You may support, for instance, healthy diets, but offer less healthy treats in your product line. And you can support celiac disease foundations, be produced in shared facilities, and be really conscientious about cleaning procedures. Just because it's marketing doesn't mean it's also false.

Eh... I suppose I don't see the consternation... Not everyone is always going to agree with you. Heavens knows I've had it happen to me too. :):lol:

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. I'd like it if people would read my point and understand what I'm getting at. I got sucked into buying this product based on it's advertising. I missed the small print until after I had opened the box and tried the product (which is actually quite good), and was concerned...so I wrote about it...and was looking for guidance (and perhaps a BTDT or two) as to whether that concern is warranted. I was annoyed, because I feel that the advertising was a bit misleading. The company wants us to know it supports the foundation, because doing so is effective promotion to celiac customers.

Michelle

There are some companies who do a lot to support Celiac Research and Awareness but still did have shared facilities. This is not a problem to me as long as they are very good with their sterilization and do not allow CC issues to arise. Some companies do great at this while others have problems.

I understand you wanted a lot more people to be in agreement with you but everyone feels differently on this topic so it is going to be hard to have more people on one side or the other.

I know how I personally feel on this topic and unless I have a an episode where I get sick I won't change it. Just because a product says supports something is not a reason I buy it though either.

Archived