Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebecca47

Temp ? Help !

Hi . Well I might have written about this in the past, so sorry if I am repeating my self. I have been taking my temp for about 1 month now, when I get up during the day just different times. The only place i get really warm is in the shower with really hot water running down me then I am warm for a few hours or at least think I am. My temp runs between 96.7 and 97.7 and on good days it gets to about 98.2. my hands are freezing right now, so I will go get a cup of coffee and see it that helps. :ph34r:

Here goes my question, What do I need to ask or tell my doctor I know tell her about the ranges of temps, but what else and does anyone have any suggestions.

My body has been aching alot all over lately and I think it is due to the ACTONEL I have been taking, I believe it is one of the side effects. I have a bad shoulder (3 surgeries in 5 yrs) and maybe another to repair my completely torn rotater cuff ( the superspanatis is torn clean through) so the Norco I take only helps so much. Plus all the other crap I take. Thanks for letting me vent too. It must be one of those days. I feel weird and don't quite know what it is. :unsure:

Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgA off the scale 44 now 3

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007

Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006

As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions

Lactose Intolerence

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Google Dr. Broda Barnes and you will find a lot of information on thyroid and temperatures.

Your waking temp. should be at least 97.6 ... Dr. Barnes says 97.8, but in 7 years of teaching natural family planning, I found those with a temp. over 97.6 usually felt good, but those who are lower, felt bad.

I started drinking saltwater three times per day for my Lyme Disease, and my temps have gone up enough to stop taking thyroid! Do you use salt? Another thing I found in teaching NFP is that many people with low temps. don't use much salt. It's a fallacy that salt is bad for you .... it's actually a macronutrient and before wars were fought over oil, they were fought over SALT!!! I take 3/4 tsp. in 8 oz. of water three times per day.

What is important is that it's NOT regular table salt or even regular "table" sea salt. It needs to be sea salt with all the nutrients in tact. Regular table salt IS bad for you.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Thanks I will google him now. I don't use salt hardly at all. So sea salt I will get some and use it.

Is it a specialty item or does any store carry it?

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

Lactose Intolerence

Thanks I will google him now. I don't use salt hardly at all. So sea salt I will get some and use it.

I could have guessed you used little salt!! That was what I almost always found. You also may want to supplement kelp (seaweed) to be sure you get enough iodine as "real" sea salt is not iodized. The heavily processed sea salt is, but it's not really that different from regular table salt.

I buy sea salt at the health food store or Wild Oats. Real Salt is a good brand. It's mined out of the ground from a dried up sea bed, so you don't have to worry about it being contaminated by the polluted oceans (when you eat as much as I do, you need to worry about that ...).

I bet you will feel better and your temps will rise once you use salt regularly.

gluten-free 12/05

Rebecca:

I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. What may work for Carla, may not be the thing that you should do. :) Perhaps your doctor could look into checking your thyroid.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Rebecca:

I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. What may work for Carla, may not be the thing that you should do. :) Perhaps your doctor could look into checking your thyroid.

I wasn't suggesting taking salt in water like I am for Lyme, but using salt regularly on food. Salt is our primary source of iodine, which is necessary for thyroid, but if you're using sea salt, you need to get iodine from another source. Salt is also a necessary nutrient that MOST people get too much of, but people eating a healthy diet often don't get enough since it's taboo to use salt.

gluten-free 12/05

Thanks, Momma Goose I am going to call the doctor on tuesday, before I do anything, because I am on all kinds of different meds and supplements now. Calcium 3000mg a day, Vit D 2000, Iron pills 27mg , muscle relaxers 800mg 3 or 4 times a day, Pain meds , zoloft, and I don't want to do anything that's not ok for me. I use to use a lot of salt, but not in long time. Thanks for the imput. I appreciate all of it.

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

Lactose Intolerence

I wasn't suggesting taking salt in water like I am for Lyme, but using salt regularly on food. Salt is our primary source of iodine, which is necessary for thyroid, but if you're using sea salt, you need to get iodine from another source. Salt is also a necessary nutrient that MOST people get too much of, but people eating a healthy diet often don't get enough since it's taboo to use salt.

I have regular salt and sea salt and use when I need to. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

Lactose Intolerence

I would go to your Dr and ask for Thyroid tests, Iron, Ferritin, B12. When you get thyroid tested make sure its not just TSH but all the tests for Thyroid like Free T3, and Free T4 and particularly Antibodies. Your Dr may try to argue with you that they are not necessary as the TSH is enough, but believe me - you can have a normal TSH and still be VERY Hypo and have Antibodies ( for eg).

Autoimmune thyroid is linked to other autoimmune diseases like Celiac. Thats why you need the Antibodies tested. Get the paperwork too - as often the Drs miss a borderline reading.

Feeling cold is a very strong Hypo symptom. I was like that and since taking Armour and slowly increasing it over 6 months - my temps are near normal every day. I tried synthetic T3 at first but it did little. Switching to Armour was the best thing I could have done. Many people on the lists say that Armour improves bone density too - as it has calcitonin.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Carla:

I understand and I do agree with this post. But without knowing someone's medical history, I think that we should be cautious about suggesting things. What may work for you, may not for someone with a heart condition, blood pressure problems or cholesterol issues. We are not doctors.

I do appreciate your concern and helpfulness here on this forum :)

Rebecca, I do hope that you warm up soon. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Thanks to everyone!! Georgie I will write down the test you suggested and talk to my doctor. If I ask her to check something she will, she is really good. She says I will know more about celiacs in time than she does. So I know she will listen. Thank goodness I wouldn't want another doctor. :rolleyes:

Momma goose I hope I get warm soon too. Thank you.

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

Lactose Intolerence

Google Dr. Broda Barnes and you will find a lot of information on thyroid and temperatures.

Your waking temp. should be at least 97.6 ... Dr. Barnes says 97.8, but in 7 years of teaching natural family planning, I found those with a temp. over 97.6 usually felt good, but those who are lower, felt bad.

I started drinking saltwater three times per day for my Lyme Disease, and my temps have gone up enough to stop taking thyroid! Do you use salt? Another thing I found in teaching NFP is that many people with low temps. don't use much salt. It's a fallacy that salt is bad for you .... it's actually a macronutrient and before wars were fought over oil, they were fought over SALT!!! I take 3/4 tsp. in 8 oz. of water three times per day.

What is important is that it's NOT regular table salt or even regular "table" sea salt. It needs to be sea salt with all the nutrients in tact. Regular table salt IS bad for you.

Wow I didn't know salt could help my body temperature! I think I'll try adding salt to things...but do you find that it bloats you? Because bloating is already a problem for me and I don't know if salt would make it worse.

Wow I didn't know salt could help my body temperature!

Sea Salt is also a treatment for adrenal fatigue - a modern problem that isn't often dx. So its interesting to see it helping other things as well. Erratic temps on the low side can be adrenal and /or Thyroid Adrenal as well. So its interesting to see it helps Lymes people too. Perhaps Lymes people have adrenal fatigue as well ? Just thinking out loud here :lol:

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Wow I didn't know salt could help my body temperature! I think I'll try adding salt to things...but do you find that it bloats you? Because bloating is already a problem for me and I don't know if salt would make it worse.

Nope, no bloating at all if you use a high quality sea salt. It's really good stuff :)

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I am doing good on the bloating, but now I bloat when I drink Milk so I have changed to lactose free milk and that is ok. Other dairy hasn't affected me that I have noticed. I have tacos at home with meat cheese(organic white) and sour cream. So far so good. Taco season from Costco. yum yum

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

Lactose Intolerence

If you get tested for thyroid, I second the suggestion about making sure your antibodies are run. I have had numerous health issues and have a family history of thyroid problems. My TSH/T3/T4 were always normal. Always. Finally a doctor suggested the autoimmune test---and sure enough, they were highly positive. So make sure you get the "full" picture---even if its negative, you'll know!

Good luck!

Peace,

Maybe have your BioSET practitioner test the salt before you try it?? I never did well with salt (I only used Sea Salt) then the bioset tests showed that I couldnt tolerate sea salt at all. I tested fine with table salt but I'm not gonna use it because its not a good choice...sea salt is better. If I'm still clear for sea salt I might try it soon to see what results I get. People use it for treating Lyme...I wonder if it works so well because it does raise the body temp...making it unfavorable environment for the bacteria??

Rachel

Rachel, I think it could be because of the temp. increase, which is most likely due to raising the thyroid/adrenals like Georgie mentioned. Makes sense anyway. I do have low adrenals, and I would bet that anyone with Lyme would ... chronic illness has to affect them.

I do not get bloated from salt at all. It's very important to get enough water though ... I've read, a quart per teaspoon. Since the RDA (as listed on my sea salt) is two teaspoons, I guess that would mean two quarts.

gluten-free 12/05