This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Body Shape

JerryK

Lisa Mentor
:) Good one.

I'd like to know WHY these two symptoms occur...I'm really curious. If anyone out there is savvy, lay it on us. Tx j B)

Jerry:

This is long ago learned information for me, I believe this is correct, but during periods of malabsorption, the body is starving and going after what ever it can to feed itself. I goes after the fat and muscle.

Hence, SOME of us have very thin extremities, Biafra Belly (dated reference - kids in Africa who are starving and have those big bellies) and flat A$$.

Lisa

PS. What a waste to wait 11 years to get the padding back and a good looking butt back, at 63, who will care :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Anonymousgurl Contributor
i have the flattest butt ever, skinny minny arms and a bigger tummy :(

i like the arms but not the belly

It sounds like i have the EXACT same body shape as you do. I'm kind of discouraged with the arms actually...mine are stick thin and I have to keep them covered :( Clothes make me feel so self conscious...the belly looks even bigger because of the arms!

I lift weights but I still can't seem to get ANY muscle mass back in my arms...weight training seems to lift the butt (haha), but my arms won't budge. Anyone else have this problem? How do I get some muscle or some fat back into my arms?

debmidge Rising Star

Due to malabsorption my hubby's body fed off of muscles and fat and he has little or no padding on body but has a waistline out of proportion with hips (no hip or butt). The hardest item to buy for him is underwear. In order to get the waistband not to dig in, he has to go to the size large, but then the butt and legs are too big. This has been an ongoing problem as most manufacturers Hanes, etc. the waistbands are tight; I don't know how even non celiac men can tolerate the waistband.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
PS. What a waste to wait 11 years to get the padding back and a good looking butt back, at 63, who will care :P

LOL!! :lol:

Your hubby will appreciate it!! ;)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

It's funny how you can be celiac for years and years and then still hear something that surprises you. I have always had that same problem with my feet--they hurt no matter what I put on them. Too much support hurts, too soft hurts, too hard hurts, too much walking hurts. I love walking on the beach barefoot, yet getting to the hard sand through the soft sand is difficult and totally drains me of energy. My feet have talked to me for years.

As for the body shape, I'm sure there is a standard shape that is said to be most celiacs, yet I think there will always be those of us who do not fit that standard. I am a member of a very large celiac support group and at most all meetings there are at least 50 people. This man named Les, does fit that body shape to a T, exactly. Yet, many of us do not. My dad, my sister, and I all are celiacs and we do all have a flat butt ;) and my dad always did have that tummy, although I do not believe my sister and I did or do.

Deb, have you ever tried boxer briefs for your hubby? They always seem to have bigger waist's and slimmer butt and legs.

Mtndog Collaborator

Good god AIN'T No flat butt here...trust me! You could put knick-knacks on my shelf :P:ph34r:

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I was reading in Dangerous Grains last night and it talked about a typical shape of the face too. Big forhead and narrow chin. Triangle shaped face.

My stomach is on the bigger/swollen side, but I have a round rear end and never had the foot padding thingy I don't think.

My grandma (who had LOTS and LOTS of stomach problems during her life and eventually died from them) kinda looked like that though. BIG stomach, no butt.

Hmm. Ty definitely has a triangle shaped face. There's a guy at work who always kids around about his "alien" head. He still has a bit of a belly and not too much bum. He doesn't have a problem walking around barefoot, he never complains, but he did get orthotics for his shoes last fall, his feet are pronated. I think that's the word. He walks on the inside edge of his feet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star
Deb, have you ever tried boxer briefs for your hubby? They always seem to have bigger waist's and slimmer butt and legs.

ahhhh,yes I know but for him the boxer style doesn't give enough support for his "manlies."

zakismom Newbie

I don't seem to fit the body shape or the face shape! I also work on my feet and have rarely had any prolems. I'll give half a butt to anyone :lol: Although,now that I think about it my grandmother (through whom we have tracked the celiac gene) did have that body shape. She would never have complained about herself so we will never know if she had symptoms.

Mtndog Collaborator

I was just thinking about all this and I DID look like that when I first got sick....no butt, no padding on the feet, but after 2 years I got the butt back. The feet could use some padding BUT I can never figure out what shape my face is. I think it's oval :blink: :blink:

Lisa Mentor

Bev got her butt back. Has anyone seem mine. I know a a lot off butts, but I don't want theirs. Can anyone locate my butt, or would one like to donate theirs? :P

debmidge Rising Star

Has anyone gotten their foot padding back? That's what makes the feet hurt and get corns and calluses ....

Guhlia Rising Star
Has anyone gotten their foot padding back? That's what makes the feet hurt and get corns and calluses ....

I haven't. My feet are still painfully bony. Though, I'm not sure I've done nearly as much walking lately. I'll have to see how my feet do at Disney. Maybe they have gotten better and i just don't know it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Nicole K
    Newest Member
    Nicole K
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Denise I
      I am looking to find a Celiac Dietician who is affiliated with the Celiac Disease Foundation who I can set up an appointment with.  Can you possibly give some guidance on this?  Thank you!
    • Posterboy
      Nacina, Knitty Kitty has given you good advice. But I would say/add find a Fat Soluble B-1 like Benfotiamine for best results.  The kind found in most Multivitamins have a very low absorption rate. This article shows how taking a Fat Soluble B-1 can effectively help absorption by 6x to7x times. https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/journal/thiamine-deficiency-and-diabetic-polyneuropathy quoting from the article.... "The group ingesting benfotiamine had maximum plasma thiamine levels that were 6.7 times higher than the group ingesting thiamine mononitrate.32" Also, frequency is much more important than amount when it comes to B-Vitamin. These are best taken with meals because they provide the fat for better absorption. You will know your B-Vitamin is working properly when your urine becomes bright yellow all the time. This may take two or three months to achieve this.......maybe even longer depending on how low he/you are. The Yellow color is from excess Riboflavin bypassing the Kidneys....... Don't stop them until when 2x a day with meals they start producing a bright yellow urine with in 2 or 3 hours after the ingesting the B-Complex...... You will be able to see the color of your urine change as the hours go by and bounce back up after you take them in the evening. When this happens quickly......you are now bypassing all the Riboflavin that is in the supplement. The body won't absorb more than it needs! This can be taken as a "proxy" for your other B-Vitamin levels (if taken a B-Complex) ...... at least at a quick and dirty level......this will only be so for the B-1 Thiamine levels if you are taking the Fat Soluble forms with the Magnesium as Knitty Kitty mentioned. Magnesium is a Co-Factor is a Co-factor for both Thiamine and Vitamin D and your sons levels won't improve unless he also takes Magnesium with his Thiamine and B-Complex. You will notice his energy levels really pick up.  His sleeping will improve and his muscle cramps will get better from the Magnesium! Here is nice blog post that can help you Thiamine and it's many benefits. I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice God speed on your son's continued journey I used to be him. There is hope! 2 Tim 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included. Posterboy by the grace of God,  
    • trents
      I'll answer your second question first. The single best antibody test for monitoring celiac blood antibody levels is the tTG-IGA and it is very cost effective. For this reason, it is the most popular and often the only test ordered by physicians when checking for celiac disease. There are some people who actually do have celiac disease who will score negatives on this test anyway because of anomalies in their immune system but your wife is not one of them. So for her, the tTG-IGA should be sufficient. It is highly sensitive and highly specific for celiac disease. If your wife gets serious about eating gluten free and stays on a gluten free diet for the duration, she should experience healing in her villous lining, normalization in her antibody numbers and avoid reaching a celiac health crisis tipping point. I am attaching an article that will provide guidance for getting serious about gluten free living. It really is an advantage if all wheat products are taken out of the house and other household members adopt gluten free eating in order to avoid cross contamination and mistakes.  
    • Anmol
      Thanks this is helpful. Couple of follow -ups- that critical point till it stays silent is age dependent or dependent on continuing to eat gluten. In other words if she is on gluten-free diet can she stay on silent celiac disease forever?    what are the most cost effective yet efficient test to track the inflammation/antibodies and see if gluten-free is working . 
    • trents
      Welcome to the community forum, @Anmol! There are a number of blood antibody tests that can be administered when diagnosing celiac disease and it is normal that not all of them will be positive. Three out of four that were run for you were positive. It looks pretty conclusive that you have celiac disease. Many physicians will only run the tTG-IGA test so I applaud your doctor for being so thorough. Note, the Immunoglobulin A is not a test for celiac disease per se but a measure of total IGA antibody levels in your blood. If this number is low it can cause false negatives in the individual IGA-based celiac antibody tests. There are many celiacs who are asymptomatic when consuming gluten, at least until damage to the villous lining of the small bowel progresses to a certain critical point. I was one of them. We call them "silent" celiacs".  Unfortunately, being asymptomatic does not equate to no damage being done to the villous lining of the small bowel. No, the fact that your wife is asymptomatic should not be viewed as a license to not practice strict gluten free eating. She is damaging her health by doing so and the continuing high antibody test scores are proof of that. The antibodies are produced by inflammation in the small bowel lining and over time this inflammation destroys the villous lining. Continuing to disregard this will catch up to her. While it may be true that a little gluten does less harm to the villous lining than a lot, why would you even want to tolerate any harm at all to it? Being a "silent" celiac is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in the sense of being able to endure some cross contamination in social settings without embarrassing repercussions. It's a curse in that it slows down the learning curve of avoiding foods where gluten is not an obvious ingredient, yet still may be doing damage to the villous lining of the small bowel. GliadinX is helpful to many celiacs in avoiding illness from cross contamination when eating out but it is not effective when consuming larger amounts of gluten. It was never intended for that purpose. Eating out is the number one sabotager of gluten free eating. You have no control of how food is prepared and handled in restaurant kitchens.