Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nate78

28 Yrs. With Sprue

Recently I decided to find out what was the matter with my stomach no matter what. I went to the hospital and got records all the way back. When I was an infant\toddler I had terrible diareah. A potbelly and was skiny. My mother took me to many doctors, finally to a new pediatrician. He put me in the hospital and did alot of tests. The biopsy confirmed sprue. I was never put on the diet. I grew up and everyone said my you sure are skinny, but you sure do eat alot. When I was 10-15 I had a terrible rash on my pubic area with the little red blisters allover. I didn't know what it was. It gradually went away after many years. I have gone to doctors for the following, deformed feet, hypotention, depression. I have been to 5 different pschiatrists. and been diagnosed add,bipolar, depressed, all for the past 6 yrs. I told most of them that I had a gluten intolerence as a kid, some just wrote down wheat allergy in there notes. I told them I just feel sick, is there anything that can be making me sick and deppressed. I persuaded my doctor to give me a blood test after much skepticism on his part, after I had came across this forum. He gave me the gladian antibody test. I was on a glutten free diet 3 weeks prior and the test came back neg. I told him I ate a bunch of bread the day of the test. he said it shouldn't matter. I was them very stumped. That is when I looked back to my records from 1983. Bingo there is the diagnosis. That explains why people called me starvin Arvin among other things and why my brothers are twice my size. Also why I can and always have drunk an 20 oz. soda in 30 secounds and then look for more, and why at 22 yrs old 5 11 I weighed 125 pounds. I noticed some of the doctors circled that in there records, weren't they smart. I have now been on the diet 3 weeks again. Stomach is better. good bye

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the board! There are several people on here like yourself where it took years to get a dx. I am so sorry you suffered for so long. Here is to your good health going gluten-free!

Hez

Isn't our medical system full of geniuses!!? it took most of my life to finally be dxd with Lyme disease, and then found out rather late about my celiac disease. For the most part, I was responsible for the diagnoses. Pitiful indeed!

You will continue to improve and be glad you pursued this! Good luck!! :)

Negative biopsy for celiac 1980

Fibromyalgia 1980

IBS 1980

Interstitial Cystitis 1992

Systemic yeast

Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000

Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000

Tachycardia 2001

Asthma 2005

Have had Lyme and babesia for

about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06

Native TEXAN living in Missouri

I am so sorry that you went through that. I'm really glad to hear that you found an old diagnosis of celiac disease and that you are on the diet and noticing improvements.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

welcome to the board! I'm glad to hear the diet is helping your symptoms!

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I can't believe that you actually got a diagnosis, but nobody must have told your mother that you need to eat a gluten-free diet! I am glad you figured it out now, and are starting to feel better.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm 21 and have celiac disease. You might want to go get a bone density test as well. I was told that by other celiacs in May 2006 when I went to the Toronto Celiac Convention, before I knew for sure that I was celiac. In June 2006, found out for sure I had celiac disease, got a bone density scan, and I am missing bone in my lumbar spine. You might want to get a bone density test, because you can lay bone down until approximately 30 years old I've been told.

Danielle

WELCOME TO THE BOARD

TOOK MY DOCTORS ALL MY LIFE

I WAS SICK ALL MY LIFE NO ONE FIGURED IT OUT TILL AUG LAST YEAR.

STARTED GETTING REALLY SICK LAST FEW YEARS. LAST YEAR THE WORST

NOW FEELING WAY BETTER AND SO WILL YOU :rolleyes:

I AGREE WITH THE BONE DENSITY IT IS VERY IMPORTANT !!!!

I WISH I FOUND OUT YEARS AGO ABOUT MINE. I TAKE LOTS OF VIT D AND CALCIUM EVERYDAY BECAUSE OF IT AND ACTONEL

Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgA off the scale 44 now 3

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007

Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006

As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions

Lactose Intolerence

Nate78 ---

When I was diagnosed in my late 20's, I also tested all my vitamin levels, my thyroid, and my bone density.

Turns out I was extremely deficient of nutrients my body needed b/c I had been sick so long! I needed weekly B12 shots at first - and still get them monthly now to maintain appropriate levels.

I need a high amount of daily calcium and my thyroid is borderline - being monitored.

I'm so glad you advocated for yourself! And ended up with a positive outcome!!

You may want to consider some of these tests, as well.

Glad you are feeling better!

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease