Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JerryK

Something New I've Noticed

When I eat gluten, it seems like my hands and feet are tingling and slightly numb.

I don't know if it's my imagination or what....but I certainly do notice it.

This is in addition to all the other crappy feelings....

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

When I eat gluten, it seems like my hands and feet are tingling and slightly numb.

My right foot and lower leg were doing that to the point of where I was losing feeling in them and I couldn't keep my balance and stuff. Then it started moving into my right hand, and now when I get accidentally glutened one finger tip on my left hand pricks constantly (it's so annoying lol). It was mostly on one side, but numbness and tingling in limbs are very good sign that gluten is causing some major damage in there. I would try very hard to stay off gluten because most nerve damage is not reversable. Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Not your imagination!

In the year before I was finally diagnosed, I had increasing tingling and numbness in my legs and feet. Sometimes the bottoms of my feet would feel like they were burning.

My left arm had a sensation that is hard to describe--somewhere between numb, and tight. I also had tingling and burning in my face and mouth--and still sometimes still have the facial tingling today.

It took some time, but except for the facial tingling, it has all gone away on the gluten-free diet. When it began, I was petrified I had a more serious neurological disease. It was pretty scary--I wish I knew then what I know now.... ;)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I get this too!! that it feels that that part of my body is dead :P

~ lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

I get this too!! that it feels that that part of my body is dead :P

~ lisa ~

i have serious issues with my hands and feet tingling. To the point where walking can be painful/difficult. Unfortunately, I've seen little improvement since going gluten free 5-6 weeks ago.

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

I have complained about that tingling feeling for years to my doctor. It seems to have gotten better since I started the gluten free diet. It's been one month. He always thought it was because of the sinus infection I had. I still get it once in awhile, so I'm not sure if it is from eating or ingesting gluten that I didn't realize.

Geoff--have you had your blood tested--sounds like a B12 deficiency to me. The others seem to have found the cure for their tingling, well, except maybe for wowser. I do have neuropathy and I have to take B12 daily.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

That is usually a sign of B-12 deficiency. You need to be very careful as it gets worse meaning it is more often and painful. It will also result in your not remembering things and getting so fatigued that you can barely make it up a set of stairs. Mine became so bad that I was 2 points away from being paralyed and 4 points away from permanent brain damage. I still have problems remembering things after that. If you ever get as low as I did with B-12 you need to take B-12 either shots or sublingual for life. That is because your body loses something that you can never truly aborb B-12 and maintain without supplementation. I know when my B-12 is dropping as I get tingling and fatigued all over again.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Definitely not your imagination...peripheral neuropathy is associated with celiac disease, and more mainstream medical literature is being published recently which will hopefully reinforce this for neurologists and internists. B12 may not be the only answer, and lab results may not confirm a deficiency, but neuropathy is diagnosable via a nerve conduction velocity test. Doctors have known for many,many years that "idiopathic neuropathy" should be closely monitored three years for associated malignancies when no source is found for the nerve damage. I find this intriguing as celiac is also associated with malignancy, and I wonder how mant patients are being missed when the neuro guys should order celiac panels,too??

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003