This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bleeding?!

cdfiance

cdfiance Explorer

Alex has been having really bad diarrhea the past few days and now she's passing some blood. I'm assuming this is not a good sign. She for sure hasn't had any gluten so it must be from the antibiotics. I know this needs to be checked out by a doctor but she's upset and angry and exhausted and really not wanting to go to the hospital. She's sleeping right now. When she wakes up should I try to convince her to let me take her to the hospital or can this wait until Monday to see her doctor?

I'm really frightened. This can't be good. And she's just so frustrated and emotionally low right now that she doesn't doesn't want to deal with this. She's fed up with dealing! I hate to sound desperate but -- what do I do?! When is all of this going to end. I don't know how much more Alex can take.

Ryan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Is she casein-free as well? I know someone with casien intolerance whose main symptom was internal bleeding.

cdfiance Explorer
Is she casein-free as well? I know someone with casien intolerance whose main symptom was internal bleeding.

yeah, she's been casien free as well. Mainly just eating gluten-free toast, bananas, applesauce, and rice lately.

Lisa Mentor

Ryan:

I am sure that you are worried. I am not a doctor and don't want to advise. I would certainly go back to the doctor on Monday. Give her nothing but bananas, rice, apple sauce and tea. It is called the BRAT diet. They are nonoffenders to the GI track.

If the bleeding is red in color, it indicates that the problem is near the bowel. Dark black stools indicate that the problem is must higher in the digestive track.

I know that you have been taking care of Alex, but are you taking care of yourself as well.

Mango04 Enthusiast
yeah, she's been casien free as well. Mainly just eating gluten-free toast, bananas, applesauce, and rice lately.

:( Gosh, sorry. That sounds tough. I don't have advice either, except I hope you can get her to a doctor soon....

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

It can mean that all her loose stool movement has irritated the bowel tract and caused the blood, or internal hemorroids. She may have these even if she isn't straining or having hard movements.

I hope she feel better.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Keep her on that, no tea or coffee (that will be too irritating to her GI tract right now) Then get a hold of her doctor Monday at the latest. It would not hurt to call her doctors service now and leave a message if the blood is pooling at the bottom of the bowl. If she is having blood that is seeping even when she is not on the toilet or you are noticing that she is very pale, look at the inside of her lower eye lid, it should be nice and pink, if not go to the ER.

In addition to this, (this test works for younger folks but not as clearly for the elderly) gently pinch the skin on the back of her hand or her forearm. Lift this skin up and release, if it does not snap back she is seriously dehydrated and needs IV fluids, Call the doc immediately and have him meet you in the ER.

I hope things improve for her soon, she is lucky to have you in her life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kevsmom Contributor

Ryan - You are trying so hard to take care of Alex. She is so lucky to have you. Before I was first diagnosed with Celiac, I also was having rectal bleeding, as well as bruises all over my body for no reason. The Hematologist that I went to could not figure out what was wrong with me. He said the only thing he could come up with, was that "Maybe I was eating rat poison"?????!!!! :blink: I found an article on-line from the Israeli Journal of Medicine, about a man who was displaying the same blood issues and then was diagnosed with Celiac. I e-mailed the article to him, and he actually called and thanked me for it. What was happening, was that my body was not absorbing Vitamin K, the vitamin that causes clotting.

Maybe somehow, Alex is still getting gluten somewhere, or has not healed enough to handle some things, such as casien, and she is still having malabsorbtion and malnutrition issues.

I agree, you should contact the doctor on Monday.

Good luck -

Cindy

cdfiance Explorer

Thanks all for your words of wisdom and experience. We saw Alex

NoGluGirl Contributor
Thanks all for your words of wisdom and experience. We saw Alex

Archived