Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can rice flour be used to make a roux..I have a great and easy white suace thats great with chicken or pasta that Ive been yearning for...but i does start with a basic roux..any ideas??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yep it works.... it all depends on the roux really as to which type of gluten-free flour works best...

As a general rule I find rice flour works best for really light ones and more robust ones a bit of corn or even heavier added buckwheat flour... if the rest of the flavors are subtle then rice flour can be better than real flour...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

I haven't made the roux traditionally with the flours (melt butter, add flour, brown up, etc).

BUT...I have mixed cornstarch in the milk, then heated it until thick, added butter (for flavor) salt & pepper, etc.

I've used that to make soups, white sauce, and cheese sauce for noodles.

It's always tasted great.

I use Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour. Despite the fact that it contains bean flours, it doesn't give off a beeeny flavor in the sauce. The flavor blends well.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I do what kbabe does to make a white sauce :)

For a roux, I use either potato or corn starch. I find they're smoother than rice flour for this.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I use Bob's Gluten Free All-Purpose too. Works perfect.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I use sweet rice flour and it seems to work.

I second that on the sweet rice flour...with regular white or brown rice flour in my experience it ends up a little grainy/gritty. I like to throw in some potato starch and tapioca starch too, not too much tapioca though or it gets slimy. I've made gumbo and etouffe several times this way with good results.

~ Jenn

I use my regular flour mix to make a roux and it turns out very nicely. 3 parts white rice, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Since the sweet rice flour is actually a "starch" and not a "flour" like regular rice flour is, it thickens just like corn, tapioca, or potato starch. I find it's smoother, too, than rice flour since it "dissolves" in the liquid unlike rice flour. For that same reason, I use it most of the time for making roux.

So all of these roux ideas you all are talking about, they brown with the oil like traditional flour? Cause my husband loves to make this Emeril recipe for "Turkey Gumbo Ya-ya" and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, but now I can't have it. Would love to have some flour idea to subsitute and make the gumbo taste yummy, without altering the flavor.