This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Are Chances?

zkat

zkat Apprentice

A little history-11 years of IBS, fibromyalgia, tooth enamel problems. Went gluten-free in Jan. and bam, I feel a million times better.

Last week I started having dizzy episodes, nausea, tired, blood sugar issues so I went to the doctor and it turns out I have hypothyroidism. OK, I buy that-the two seem to be closely connected, but my fasting blood glucose was 114. While not alarming, it is still high (I had not eaten in over 12 hours at that point) so I have to follow up with a fasting glucose test.

So I know it is common to have Celiac and diabetes and it is common to have Celiac and thyroid problems, but how common is it to have all three?

Kat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

I would say fairly common, they think all autoimmune diseases are linked in one way or another and my guess would be celiac is the link.

Ksmith Contributor

Seems pretty common. I'd like to know the link myself. Having undiagnosed celiac for as long as many of us do, I think, puts us at risk for other autoimmune diseases to wreak havoc. Just a theory.

~K

bluejeangirl Contributor
A little history-11 years of IBS, fibromyalgia, tooth enamel problems. Went gluten-free in Jan. and bam, I feel a million times better.

Last week I started having dizzy episodes, nausea, tired, blood sugar issues so I went to the doctor and it turns out I have hypothyroidism. OK, I buy that-the two seem to be closely connected, but my fasting blood glucose was 114. While not alarming, it is still high (I had not eaten in over 12 hours at that point) so I have to follow up with a fasting glucose test.

So I know it is common to have Celiac and diabetes and it is common to have Celiac and thyroid problems, but how common is it to have all three?

Kat.

You could get a glucose monitor and check yourself with how you do with your levels throughout the day. I just did this myself and I'm one week into it. There were a couple of threads on blood sugars about three weeks ago and since my dad and brother are diabetic I thought its time I know how I handle glucose.

I notice my morning readings are also higher then what I expected. It will get lower then that about 4 hrs after a meal during the day. Its all real interesting, I'm doing alot of reading on it now but don't feel I know things well enough to explain anything right now. My morning readings average around 102. There are reasons why you could have high morning readings and be fine.

Don't be intimidated about doing this. I'm having some fun with it. It was probably scary the first day only getting used to sticking yourself on your finger but it doesn't hurt that much at all.

Isn't their a saying monsters only live in closets? I no longer fear diabetes, I think because I'll be the first to know and will know more about it. I would incourage others to do it also.

Gail

Gail

georgie Enthusiast

Kat, Have you heard of Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome ?

Open Original Shared Link

A Dr reading another Forum alerted me to the fact that I may have it. I do not have Diabetes but have Hashimotos Thyroid, Pernicious Anaemia, Celiac and Vitiligo - all dx last year. My Dr is watching me closely for Diabetes and other autoimmune diseases.

The difference between Type 2 PGA and Type 3 PGA appears to be a dx of Addisons Disease.

zkat Apprentice
You could get a glucose monitor and check yourself with how you do with your levels throughout the day. I just did this myself and I'm one week into it. There were a couple of threads on blood sugars about three weeks ago and since my dad and brother are diabetic I thought its time I know how I handle glucose.

I notice my morning readings are also higher then what I expected. It will get lower then that about 4 hrs after a meal during the day. Its all real interesting, I'm doing alot of reading on it now but don't feel I know things well enough to explain anything right now. My morning readings average around 102. There are reasons why you could have high morning readings and be fine.

Don't be intimidated about doing this. I'm having some fun with it. It was probably scary the first day only getting used to sticking yourself on your finger but it doesn't hurt that much at all.

Isn't their a saying monsters only live in closets? I no longer fear diabetes, I think because I'll be the first to know and will know more about it. I would incourage others to do it also.

Gail

Gail

I think that particular reading was low. I ran 4.5 miles the night before and was fasting, so it will be interesting what the Fasting glucose test will say. I don't fear diabetes, the way I see it, it is known and can be handled, unlike the undiagnosed celiac for years. That was scary, this is just pricking my finger, which as much blood that has been drawn from me over the years, doesn't faze me anymore!

Kat.

zkat Apprentice
Kat, Have you heard of Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome ?

A Dr reading another Forum alerted me to the fact that I may have it. I do not have Diabetes but have Hashimotos Thyroid, Pernicious Anaemia, Celiac and Vitiligo - all dx last year. My Dr is watching me closely for Diabetes and other autoimmune diseases.

The difference between Type 2 PGA and Type 3 PGA appears to be a dx of Addisons Disease.

Thank you so much for the link. It is very informative. My husband keeps wanting to know what is next. He is scared to death that I am going into total system failure and no one is catching it :o I can't blame him, he has as much faith in doctor's as the rest of us. He has been with me through this whole thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast
Thank you so much for the link. It is very informative. My husband keeps wanting to know what is next.

Me too ! This is where I get a bit puzzled. You state this at the beginning of the thread.

Last week I started having dizzy episodes, nausea, tired, blood sugar issues so I went to the doctor and it turns out I have hypothyroidism.

But you had HypoThyroid in 2000 with high Thyroid Antibodies. Have you had no Thyroid meds for that ?

How low is your B12. Is it being treated ? The symptoms you describe could all relate to B12 and Thyroid. Blood sugar ...well....its something to watch ...but your immediate symptoms sound like unmanaged HypoThyroidism, and low B12 to me. Have you done a google search to see the symptoms of Pernicious Anemia ?

glutenfreeinMadisonHeights Newbie

Kat.

Dear kat,

Sorry, I don't know how common it is, but I have all three.

Also, I am under the impression that normal range for a fasting glucose is between 90 and 130.

zkat Apprentice

Thank you for the responses. Somehow it is comforting that I am not the only one.

The fasting glucose is on the higher end of normal. I think the glucose tolerance test will show that is pretty high. I had run 4.5 miles and been fasting for 12 hours before the test and my blood sugar was still 114.

Since the original post, I have seen some improvement. I have really been watching my carbs, which is hard since I love fruit. Still a couple more weeks until my follow up on both the thyroid and glucose test.

Kat.

kerrih Rookie

Sounds like we are in the same boat! I have had "IBS" symptoms for about 15 years. Diagnosed with celiac a year ago, blood test positive, biopsy neg. I recently have had to see an endocrinologist for racing heart/palpitations and turns out I have hyperthyroid. My sugars have been dropping and the dr. is suspecting diabetes, but he also mentioned with a gluten-free diet the simple starches such as rice can cause sugar levels to drop quickly. I sometimes eat rice cereal in the am, rice noodles for lunch and rice with my supper. Lots of rice like that can cause hypoglycemic issues without having diabetes.

Kerri

wdwmaggie Rookie
My husband keeps wanting to know what is next. He is scared to death that I am going into total system failure and no one is catching it :o I can't blame him, he has as much faith in doctor's as the rest of us. He has been with me through this whole thing.

I know what you mean about wanting to know whats next, once you have one autoimmune disease your risk to get another increases. I definitely have Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome, I have diabetes, celiac, hypothrodism, POTS (which is related to fibromyalgia and is autoimmune) and I am ONLY 17 years old! My gastro seems to believe that celiac caused my diabetes and so forth.

ehrin Explorer

I have T1 diabetes (27 years), PCOS (4 years), Celiac (2years) and hyperthyroid (1 year), not hypo - so yes it's possible. I am an autoimmune nightmare! :P Some thinking says that once you have one autoimmune disease you are succpetable to all of them. I often think, my god what is next! But so far it is nothing I can't handle...so I chalk it up as a challenge and move on.

Your fasting is considered on the higher side - I believe they now want fastings to be 119 and under. So although close, still high. I do think having a c-peptide would make sense. If you are unfamiliar a c-peptide measures how much insulin your pancreas is producing. That truly is the best way to get tested, as it's obvious your pancreas is still functioning well - a fasting blood sugar wont do much by the way of diagnosis.

Good Luck!

2kids4me Contributor

myself and both children are all polyglandular autoimmune - and yes, one person in the family with a cluster of auotimmune is bad enough - in our family, dh is the only one NOT affected!

A genetics clinic is gong to run some tests on daughter as she has what they call an "unusual case". They are going to run a bunch of HLA testing to see about risk for adrenal, diabetes issues etc as well as see what markers she has for the celiac (double or not),... depending on results, they may check son as well... ( for other stuff, we already know he's a celiac.)

Archived