Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmichelle

Ttc - Need Gluten Free Prenatals.

Hello!

I am TTC with my DH the old fashioned way - I think in my own belief is that we hit the mark this month - I have one more week till testing.

Question is if I did and even if I didn't hit the mark (for the future) what prenatal vitamins are gluten free? I also would love to ask which folic acid supplements are gluten free?

The stores in our area are Walmart, Walgreens, Target, GNC, The Medicinne Shoppe. Not a big fan of ordering things online, but if I must, I must. :huh:

Thank you in advance!!

Diagnosed Celiac through positive biopsy and blood work in 2005. Gluten Free ever since with some accidental slips that I regretted.

Diagnosed with Lupus Fall of 2007.

Biopsy Scheduled in May, 2008 on Thyroid Masses.

Family History of Digestive Diseases and Skeletal Diseases. Most likely stemming from Celiac. I was the first to be diagnosed. Getting the family around to being tested one by one slowly but surely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

33 Years Old.

Happily Married for 10 Wonderful Years.

Have the BEST family and friends in the world who have supported me through everything since day one.

Photographer.

Video Editor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was using BJs brand of prenatals, but then they shut down their pharmacy so I switched to Target's brand. They are gluten-free (I confirmed with the company) and have the same percentages of everything as the prescription prenatals (these aren't prescription - in a pink and blue bottle). Congrats!

I can never find the Target ones at Target for some reason! Strange because I know so many people who take them! GNC Prenatals are supposed to be gluten free. I don't believe Walgreen's are, you'd have to call.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Hello!

I am TTC with my DH the old fashioned way - I think in my own belief is that we hit the mark this month - I have one more week till testing.

Question is if I did and even if I didn't hit the mark (for the future) what prenatal vitamins are gluten free? I also would love to ask which folic acid supplements are gluten free?

The stores in our area are Walmart, Walgreens, Target, GNC, The Medicinne Shoppe. Not a big fan of ordering things online, but if I must, I must. :huh:

Thank you in advance!!

I know you posted this awhile ago, but the name of the brand found at Target, Rite Aid, Costco, and a couple other places is "Nature Made." The vitamins are in yellow bottles and on the back say free of gluten, soy, dairy, yeast, preservatives, additives........ Good luck!

Thanks for posting this! This is very helpful!

I know you posted this awhile ago, but the name of the brand found at Target, Rite Aid, Costco, and a couple other places is "Nature Made." The vitamins are in yellow bottles and on the back say free of gluten, soy, dairy, yeast, preservatives, additives........ Good luck!

I can never find the Target ones at Target for some reason! Strange because I know so many people who take them! GNC Prenatals are supposed to be gluten free. I don't believe Walgreen's are, you'd have to call.

I have been looking at the pre-nat vitimins at Walgreens, since we are still talking about another baby, and I have seen one that says No Gluten, No Preservatives and they are $12 - $16. I will look at Walmart, and Target to look there.

donna

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

Hi, I found some vitamins at Target, i think that they are at Walmart too, but I went to Target and the Have Nature Made prenatal vits they do say on the back free of preservatives, yeast and gluten. And my Target had them in the bigger bottle 180 ct for $12.99 and the smaller 90 ct for 7.99 and it was a twin pack so I got them, even though I am not pregante yet but as some as we move I think that we will start trying for a baby so I am taking these so I can get my body ready. I took one this morning, and I feel ok. one of the prenatals trial pack that my OB gave me I did not like at all.

donna

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

I just double checked and Stuart Prenatal Vitamins that are carried at walgreens are safe (they said on the phone today that the gluten in the vitamin is corn gluten). Also, rainbow light which wild oats/whole foods carries has a gluten free prenatal. Hope that helps!

I would recommend using a good one from a health food store. Those more expensive brands have a better balance of nutritional needs. Keep in mind that the RDA is the lowest amount to keep you from having a deficiency, not the ideal amount of a vitamin! It was the health food people who originally discovered the importance of folic acid.

Wild Oats clearly labels their store brand for a very thorough list of allergens, which does include gluten.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I take GNC prenatals (and B12) and it says gluten-free right on the label.

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

I am using Nature's Way Prenatals. You only have to take 2. They are Gluten Free, Dairy Free which was difficult for me to find. They dont give me heartburn or any other unpleasant side effect. And they have 800 of folic acid which is great.

Gina

I am taking Preg Vit which is gluten-free. As I posted in another thread, this particular vitamin separates the calcium (morning pill) and the iron (evening pill), making absorption of each better. It is available by prescription in Canada; not sure about the States. My doc. warned that not all vitamins are created equal and many store brands are filler and simply make your kidneys work harder than they should for not much nutritional gain.

Thanks for posting this! This is very helpful!

NatureMade has a promotion going on. if you log into their website at www.NatureMade.com and enter the code number on the bottle, you can earn money off on future purchases. I have also found this brand at CVS stores.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

I just went gluten-free yesterday and take Safeway Select brand prenatals. I called Safeway and they said they are gluten free.

I am also taking a prescription B vitamin called Folgard Rx (B6/B12/Folic acid) as I have a gene mutation which makes me less likely to absorb these vitamins. I have emailed the manufaturer but have not heard back yet as to whether Folgard Rx is gluten free.

Jina

• 2005-2007 - 5 miscarriages, no live births
    10/2007 - diagnosed with immune system issues + gene related to B/K vitamin malabsorbtion
    12/2007 - After 2w gluten-free trial in Nov, back on gluten to complete bloodwork and endoscopy. Bloodwork negative. Endoscopy showed severe inflammation but no flat villi. Went gluten-free for life without "official" celiac diagnosis.
    9/2008 - 6th pregnancy ends at 10 due to down syndome. First pregnancy with normal growth on ultrasounds.
    1/2009 - 7th pregnancy. So far so good (as of May 2009, amnio clear, it's a girl!) edd 10/28/09

Hi there! I take Fem-pre-natal by MetaGenics. It can be ordered online or through an alternative doctor or chiro. Whole Foods and Wild Oats used to carry, but then they stopped. This brand is specifically made free of allergies and it is made to be gentle on the tummy. One bottle has 30 packets, what I do is split one package a day so I take 3 after eating and 3 right before bed. So far so good!!

Wow, lots of good choices here.

BTW, bummer we didn't hit the mark. We will be continuing trying in a couple of months. Some things came up for us temporarily that is keeping us very busy.

I still take the prenatals though because my doctor told me to stay on them for the future. :) Thanks for all this amazing feedback! :)

Diagnosed Celiac through positive biopsy and blood work in 2005. Gluten Free ever since with some accidental slips that I regretted.

Diagnosed with Lupus Fall of 2007.

Biopsy Scheduled in May, 2008 on Thyroid Masses.

Family History of Digestive Diseases and Skeletal Diseases. Most likely stemming from Celiac. I was the first to be diagnosed. Getting the family around to being tested one by one slowly but surely.

33 Years Old.

Happily Married for 10 Wonderful Years.

Have the BEST family and friends in the world who have supported me through everything since day one.

Photographer.

Video Editor.

ONESOURCE is a brand that says gluten free right on the label of their prenatal vitamins. I've found them at Walmart in IN when I lived there and also in OK where I currently live. I'm not sure if it's at every Walmart but if they are in Indiana and Oklahoma I imagine they should be available at most Walmarts. It's about $9 for a bottle of 140 and you take two a day, the bottle is pink with a picture of a mom holding a baby. I have to take them with food so as not to feel nauseated but other than that I haven't had any problems.