This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ttc - Need Gluten Free Prenatals.

cmichelle

cmichelle Newbie

Hello!

I am TTC with my DH the old fashioned way - I think in my own belief is that we hit the mark this month - I have one more week till testing.

Question is if I did and even if I didn't hit the mark (for the future) what prenatal vitamins are gluten free? I also would love to ask which folic acid supplements are gluten free?

The stores in our area are Walmart, Walgreens, Target, GNC, The Medicinne Shoppe. Not a big fan of ordering things online, but if I must, I must. :huh:

Thank you in advance!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dionnek Enthusiast

I was using BJs brand of prenatals, but then they shut down their pharmacy so I switched to Target's brand. They are gluten-free (I confirmed with the company) and have the same percentages of everything as the prescription prenatals (these aren't prescription - in a pink and blue bottle). Congrats!

alamaz Collaborator

I can never find the Target ones at Target for some reason! Strange because I know so many people who take them! GNC Prenatals are supposed to be gluten free. I don't believe Walgreen's are, you'd have to call.

• 5 months later...
wyldlife Newbie
Hello!

I am TTC with my DH the old fashioned way - I think in my own belief is that we hit the mark this month - I have one more week till testing.

Question is if I did and even if I didn't hit the mark (for the future) what prenatal vitamins are gluten free? I also would love to ask which folic acid supplements are gluten free?

The stores in our area are Walmart, Walgreens, Target, GNC, The Medicinne Shoppe. Not a big fan of ordering things online, but if I must, I must. :huh:

Thank you in advance!!

I know you posted this awhile ago, but the name of the brand found at Target, Rite Aid, Costco, and a couple other places is "Nature Made." The vitamins are in yellow bottles and on the back say free of gluten, soy, dairy, yeast, preservatives, additives........ Good luck!

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this! This is very helpful!

I know you posted this awhile ago, but the name of the brand found at Target, Rite Aid, Costco, and a couple other places is "Nature Made." The vitamins are in yellow bottles and on the back say free of gluten, soy, dairy, yeast, preservatives, additives........ Good luck!
little d Enthusiast
I can never find the Target ones at Target for some reason! Strange because I know so many people who take them! GNC Prenatals are supposed to be gluten free. I don't believe Walgreen's are, you'd have to call.

I have been looking at the pre-nat vitimins at Walgreens, since we are still talking about another baby, and I have seen one that says No Gluten, No Preservatives and they are $12 - $16. I will look at Walmart, and Target to look there.

donna

Annaem Enthusiast

MATERNA PRENATAL VITAMINS

FOLIC ACID -- JAMIESON

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

little d Enthusiast

Hi, I found some vitamins at Target, i think that they are at Walmart too, but I went to Target and the Have Nature Made prenatal vits they do say on the back free of preservatives, yeast and gluten. And my Target had them in the bigger bottle 180 ct for $12.99 and the smaller 90 ct for 7.99 and it was a twin pack so I got them, even though I am not pregante yet but as some as we move I think that we will start trying for a baby so I am taking these so I can get my body ready. I took one this morning, and I feel ok. one of the prenatals trial pack that my OB gave me I did not like at all.

donna

jeanettebaxter Newbie

I just double checked and Stuart Prenatal Vitamins that are carried at walgreens are safe (they said on the phone today that the gluten in the vitamin is corn gluten). Also, rainbow light which wild oats/whole foods carries has a gluten free prenatal. Hope that helps!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I would recommend using a good one from a health food store. Those more expensive brands have a better balance of nutritional needs. Keep in mind that the RDA is the lowest amount to keep you from having a deficiency, not the ideal amount of a vitamin! It was the health food people who originally discovered the importance of folic acid.

Wild Oats clearly labels their store brand for a very thorough list of allergens, which does include gluten.

tiffjake Enthusiast

I take GNC prenatals (and B12) and it says gluten-free right on the label.

gdsaddler Newbie

I am using Nature's Way Prenatals. You only have to take 2. They are Gluten Free, Dairy Free which was difficult for me to find. They dont give me heartburn or any other unpleasant side effect. And they have 800 of folic acid which is great.

Gina

• 3 weeks later...
maryjoali Newbie

I am taking Preg Vit which is gluten-free. As I posted in another thread, this particular vitamin separates the calcium (morning pill) and the iron (evening pill), making absorption of each better. It is available by prescription in Canada; not sure about the States. My doc. warned that not all vitamins are created equal and many store brands are filler and simply make your kidneys work harder than they should for not much nutritional gain.

kevsmom Contributor

Thanks for posting this! This is very helpful!

NatureMade has a promotion going on. if you log into their website at www.NatureMade.com and enter the code number on the bottle, you can earn money off on future purchases. I have also found this brand at CVS stores.

wannaBAmama Newbie

I just went gluten-free yesterday and take Safeway Select brand prenatals. I called Safeway and they said they are gluten free.

I am also taking a prescription B vitamin called Folgard Rx (B6/B12/Folic acid) as I have a gene mutation which makes me less likely to absorb these vitamins. I have emailed the manufaturer but have not heard back yet as to whether Folgard Rx is gluten free.

Jina

MeJenn Newbie

Hi there! I take Fem-pre-natal by MetaGenics. It can be ordered online or through an alternative doctor or chiro. Whole Foods and Wild Oats used to carry, but then they stopped. This brand is specifically made free of allergies and it is made to be gentle on the tummy. One bottle has 30 packets, what I do is split one package a day so I take 3 after eating and 3 right before bed. So far so good!!

shan Contributor

The FREEDA vitamins are everything free - gluten lactose etc, and not too hard to swallow!

• 3 months later...
cmichelle Newbie

Wow, lots of good choices here.

BTW, bummer we didn't hit the mark. We will be continuing trying in a couple of months. Some things came up for us temporarily that is keeping us very busy.

I still take the prenatals though because my doctor told me to stay on them for the future. :) Thanks for all this amazing feedback! :)

HiDee Rookie

ONESOURCE is a brand that says gluten free right on the label of their prenatal vitamins. I've found them at Walmart in IN when I lived there and also in OK where I currently live. I'm not sure if it's at every Walmart but if they are in Indiana and Oklahoma I imagine they should be available at most Walmarts. It's about $9 for a bottle of 140 and you take two a day, the bottle is pink with a picture of a mom holding a baby. I have to take them with food so as not to feel nauseated but other than that I haven't had any problems.

HiDee Rookie
It's about $9 for a bottle of 140

I checked my prenatals and it actually has 240 caplets, not 140.

Archived