Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

The Dreaded Head Fog

what can i do about it? got glutened, and my head is just floating somewhere. it's so annoying! feel like i can't focus on anything!!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Detox treatment helps me.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Extra vit. B complex helps me... and copious amounts of caffeine, if your tummy can handle it right now. :unsure:

Hope you feel better soon.

Pauliina

That may be why Red Bull helps me where coffee or colas don't. It has B vitamins, taurine and inositol.

I'm in no way saying it's a health food :-)

But it helps me focus when I've had a gluten hit or even just picked up a bug. I don't really like the taste (usually mix it with orange juice) and most of the time, I drink coffee instead. But when brain fog hits, it helps me more than coffee or other caffeine sources.

I drink the regular because aspartame causes me other problems.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

thanks all, i'll have to give red bull a shot.

Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

what can i do about it? got glutened, and my head is just floating somewhere. it's so annoying! feel like i can't focus on anything!!!

I feel for you sooooo bad, I used to get it for a whole week. I get a super headache the next day if I drink a lot of caffeine. I drink lots of water, and a special detox tea, an extra vitamin, and I throw a nap in there too. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene

3 children-

youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease

middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac

oldest - ignores warnings

Its rough when you cant focus. I had a headache for a few months after the doc told me i cant drink budweisers for the rest of my life. Got into some deep meditation down by the beach, it took care of everything. Hope you find your cure.

Got into some deep meditation down by the beach, it took care of everything.

OMG if only I lived by the beach again. I seriously would LOVE that!! Took it for granted as a kid :(

Sweetfudge

Oh God, I remember that feeling. I had it for about 42 years off and on. I don't miss it one bit. I am almost phobic about getting glutened.

Has anyone thought about the connection of sugar and insulin response as it relates to "brain fog". I know from a previous diet that if your blood sugars aren't balanced then you are going to be constantly fighting a see saw of mental clarity.

If you eat gluten free it doesn't seem to preclude certain high carboyhydrate foods. High carb foods can cause a spike in insulin. Insulin's job is to remove excess sugar from your bloodstream. Your brain really needs that sugar so as soon as your blood starts to empty of it you are sent the hungry/starving message. This can start the cycle all over again if you choose something like potato chips or red bull etc..

Balancing your blood sugars takes some time but it is easy to do if you are eating gluten free. I would read the Zone or South Beach or even Atkins. All of them foucs on your body's hormonal responses to food and at least in the Zone book he talks about the brain fog that you are refferring to.

Definately stop the high sugar high carb stuff and give it a few days. It should go away.

There are two things I try. If I'm also feeling dehydrated I try Gatorade, or Water and a Thermo Tab. If I'm not dehydrated then then I take a multivitamin. I kind of figured it means your brain or body isn't getting something it has to have.

Hi, I agree with Ken70. I hate those head fogs. I never knew what they were until my diagnose almost 2 years ago. I used to think my mind was playing tricks on me. I would purposely initiate conversations just to make sure I was on track and not talking nonsense. Also, it seems like I work harder at concentrating when I get the head fog, or gluten fog. I am conscientious of what goes in my mouth 24/7. Think of all we can eat instead of what we can't. When I eat more proteins and vegetables and lower the carbs intake, I feel great. I do drink coffee for the head fogs and lots of water. It is hard to stay fog free for many days in a row. But at least I know exactly what it is. As hard as this condition is, it could be much worse. The only thing that bothers me is that we have absolutely no control over the cross contamination that takes place in restaurants. If you go to an Italian restaurant, chances are your salad has flour in it. It got into it in the kitchen. So I order coffee first when I go out now. It does help! Lillian