Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kml55

Does Anyone Know If There Is Gluten In The Sealant On Envelopes?

I work as a personal assistant/ secretary and i was wondering if anyone knows if their is gluten in the sealant on envelopes, you know when you lick them...

i heard a that their was, but i am not sure..does anyone know?

Guest j_mommy

I have also heard that there was. I would give the company a call, as i'm sure each company is different!

At home I buy the ones that are self stick...but for work you can go to any office supply store and get a little roller(ask the staff will know) that you add water to and you slide the envelope over it!

Good Luck!

I've always heard that there was & then a reliable source said they are okay now but for me I wouldn't risk it. They make those nice little glue sticks for sealing envelopes so that is what I use. Most offices in my area use the sticks...

This is something of a celiac urban legend. There aren't many companies (anywhere) that produce the adhesive used on envelopes and I believe it was someone on this board who called the (by far) major one for the US to determine that no wheat was used. I still use a paper towel or sponge (it's more sanitary), but there's been no substatiated proof that there is gluten in envelope glue.

:PFor years before I even heard of gluten intoletrance, I have said

"Glue Sticks Are Your Friend."

Glue sticks are cheap, envelope glue tastes bad, and I can't think of a single good reason to lick an envelope! :P

i swear i got glutened by an envelope once. it was when i was first dx-ed so it was pretty frustrating.

It probably depends on the brand of the envelope.

I know I was gluten once from this several months ago. Once I was standing is line at the post office with an open letter and I would not lick it, the postal man gave me some tape - better safe than ill!

I now buy the envelopes that are sticky already - you just pull the tab off and close. If you work in an office and you don't have the choice of buying them, I would be sure to use a glue stick or a wet towel or sponge like the others suggest.