This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Top Chef/hgtv Design Star

Green12

laurelfla Enthusiast

I thought the "technicalities" reason for the bottom two was pretty weak. This is my first season watching Top Chef. I don't like any of the judges whatsoever (Padma is so smarmy!) and I don't really like any of the chefs either! I liked the first one that went home and then Erik (until he trashed Rick Bayless!) but now they all get on my nerves! My husband was like, "Well, why do you watch it?!" And I guess it is the food... I always wanted to be a chef so I have to live vicariously. :P I actually did email them to say that I thought a gluten free challenge would be a great one to do, but they didn't even write back. Oh, well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green12 Enthusiast
I liked the first one that went home and then Erik (until he trashed Rick Bayless!) but now they all get on my nerves!

That really bothered me too when Erik was so disrespectful with his comments about Rick Bayless.

Yeah, the judges can be on the snobby side....I don't know if it's to add to the drama of the show or what. I saw Padma on Ellen Degeners and she was quite lovely. I think Ellen asked her about her persona on the show and she talked about being not letting the chefs now how they felt about their dishes, making them sweat a little in the competitive environment...something to that effect.

kenlove Rising Star

I pushed them for a gluten-free challenge during season 2 when they filmed the finals here in Hawaii. I was on the last show for all of 6 seconds <G> but the winners meals all featured fruit that I grew for them. Tom's friend is my sons ( also a chef here) boss. . They did say they would consider gluten-free and a food allergy show in the future -- but dont hold your breath.

Ken

I thought the "technicalities" reason for the bottom two was pretty weak. This is my first season watching Top Chef. I don't like any of the judges whatsoever (Padma is so smarmy!) and I don't really like any of the chefs either! I liked the first one that went home and then Erik (until he trashed Rick Bayless!) but now they all get on my nerves! My husband was like, "Well, why do you watch it?!" And I guess it is the food... I always wanted to be a chef so I have to live vicariously. :P I actually did email them to say that I thought a gluten free challenge would be a great one to do, but they didn't even write back. Oh, well.
Green12 Enthusiast
I pushed them for a gluten-free challenge during season 2 when they filmed the finals here in Hawaii. I was on the last show for all of 6 seconds <G> but the winners meals all featured fruit that I grew for them. Tom's friend is my sons ( also a chef here) boss.

Lucky you!

I liked this week's challenge, showcasing Common Threads, cooking with kids, and making a family meal for under $10.

I don't know what has happened to Stephanie, finishing in the bottom of the las couple of challenges :huh: Seems she has lost her momentum. Antonia looks to be taking the lead now.

My favorites are still Dale, Antonia, and Stephanie.

I am warming towards Richard too the last couple of episodes, he's prepared some normal things finally :lol:

kenlove Rising Star

It was fun--

We dont have a TV so I have to get my fix when I'm at a friends or on the road.

What was interesting in season 2 is the guy that everyone hated was really the nicest guy(I forget the names). He was the only one to come around and thank everyone for their help.

Lucky you!

I liked this week's challenge, showcasing Common Threads, cooking with kids, and making a family meal for under $10.

I don't know what has happened to Stephanie, finishing in the bottom of the las couple of challenges :huh: Seems she has lost her momentum. Antonia looks to be taking the lead now.

My favorites are still Dale, Antonia, and Stephanie.

I am warming towards Richard too the last couple of episodes, he's prepared some normal things finally :lol:

Darn210 Enthusiast
What was interesting in season 2 is the guy that everyone hated was really the nicest guy(I forget the names). He was the only one to come around and thank everyone for their help.

Marcel??? I know I didn't care for him . . . but I do know that how they edit their show is key to how the audience feels about a certain competitor.

I would love for them to do some sort of gluten free or top 8 allergen free sort of thing, however, it would probably be a lot easier for them just because they are usually starting with pure ingredients anyway . . . meat, veggies, oil, seasoning . . . plus, how many bread type items do you usually see in their program. You would have to give it some sort of twist like starting with a family favourite (for which they draw knifes :P ) like meatloaf or spaghetti or something like that and then turn it into gluten free or allergen free. No fair just starting with some beef and veggies and making a nice meal . . . :D

kenlove Rising Star

Right, it was Marcel. Watching him on TV you loved to hate him. He was the nicest guy in the bunch though. He was the only one to come around and thank all the farmers and workers at the Hilton. Tom did come around to welcome everyone but that was it.

Sure would be good to see them do some sort of allergen free sort of thing.

ken

Marcel??? I know I didn't care for him . . . but I do know that how they edit their show is key to how the audience feels about a certain competitor.

I would love for them to do some sort of gluten free or top 8 allergen free sort of thing, however, it would probably be a lot easier for them just because they are usually starting with pure ingredients anyway . . . meat, veggies, oil, seasoning . . . plus, how many bread type items do you usually see in their program. You would have to give it some sort of twist like starting with a family favourite (for which they draw knifes :P ) like meatloaf or spaghetti or something like that and then turn it into gluten free or allergen free. No fair just starting with some beef and veggies and making a nice meal . . . :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
Right, it was Marcel. Watching him on TV you loved to hate him. He was the nicest guy in the bunch though. He was the only one to come around and thank all the farmers and workers at the Hilton. Tom did come around to welcome everyone but that was it.

Unfortunately I didn't see the first two season, I only found the show when it was in season 3 :(

Guest digmom1014

Who did they kick-off this week? Lisa? I'm having a brain-fog moment and I didn't eat gluten! I like this season but, I don't think it is a "tense" as some of the others. There really isn't a true villain, some are better chefs than others, but I don't really root for anyone in particular.

Green12 Enthusiast
Who did they kick-off this week? Lisa? I'm having a brain-fog moment and I didn't eat gluten! I like this season but, I don't think it is a "tense" as some of the others. There really isn't a true villain, some are better chefs than others, but I don't really root for anyone in particular.

It was the New Zealander, Mark.

kenlove Rising Star

I suspect it will be on reruns or DVD's before you know it. I wanted to post the episode I was on up on my website but couldnt get permission.

take care

Unfortunately I didn't see the first two season, I only found the show when it was in season 3 :(
Green12 Enthusiast
I suspect it will be on reruns or DVD's before you know it. I wanted to post the episode I was on up on my website but couldnt get permission.

take care

I bet you are right.

I wonder if they ever do a Top Chef Marathon and reair the old seasons? I would love to see what I missed, but I've never noticed any talk about that on the network, or any Bravo commercials promoting something like this.

kenlove Rising Star

If the popularity keeps up I bet we'll see the Top Chef Network! :lol:

I bet you are right.

I wonder if they ever do a Top Chef Marathon and reair the old seasons? I would love to see what I missed, but I've never noticed any talk about that on the network, or any Bravo commercials promoting something like this.

Green12 Enthusiast

Andrew had some interesting one liners :lol:

I had a feeling early on Nikki might be the one to go when she didn't step up and take the leadership role.

Guest digmom1014

Just came downstairs and found 12 Top Chefs taped on TIVO. It was from the 1st season, I believe, when Harold won. Padma was not the host, Tom was there-but not as condescending as he is now.

Lisa16 Collaborator

I would love to see a gluten free chef beat everybody else out and put gluten-free cuisine on the map! I have often wondered what would happen if they got somebody like that on the show. How far could they make it?

On one of the seasons there was a woman whose schtick was cooking "healthy foods." If I remember rightly, she didn't make it very far.

Heck-- you could even do the wedding cake challenge gluten-free! And you could do the pizza one with a pretty orginal crust like corn flour....

Maybe we should write the food network and ask them to do a show like "cooking for food allergies" with a really famous chef. I would love to see what somebody like James Beard would've done with our bread.

I am rooting for Stephanie, but I think Richard is going to take it (he is pretty consistent). I think Antonia will be in the top three. I bet Dale will knock himself out with his temper (too bad-- did you see that locker he bashed!?! man!) and Spike/ Andrew will start to get on the judges nerves. I also predict Lisa will be the next to go. Let's see if I am close! :rolleyes: I live for Wednesdays.

Green12 Enthusiast
I am rooting for Stephanie, but I think Richard is going to take it (he is pretty consistent). I think Antonia will be in the top three. I bet Dale will knock himself out with his temper (too bad-- did you see that locker he bashed!?! man!) and Spike/ Andrew will start to get on the judges nerves. I also predict Lisa will be the next to go. Let's see if I am close! :rolleyes: I live for Wednesdays.

I don't like Dale's temper or attitude, and he's definitely not a team player...but that is exactly what Hung was last season and he won :lol: I thought given that he burnt all the meat he would be the one to go. Go figure!

I really like Antonia to win it, it would be nice if a female chef took it home. Or Stephanie! Richard has been very consistent, and he is so good.

I noticed they mentioned that Andrew had only been cooking for 5 years and that it was totally obvious to the rest of them. I don't know if that will eventually catch up to him or not? I thought maybe coming up with crispy chicken at the buffet (which they said was a big No-No) would get him eliminated this week.

kenlove Rising Star

You know Lisa you should try out for next season! You can wow them with the curries and gluten-free papadams <G>

I would love to see a gluten free chef beat everybody else out and put gluten-free cuisine on the map! I have often wondered what would happen if they got somebody like that on the show. How far could they make it?

On one of the seasons there was a woman whose schtick was cooking "healthy foods." If I remember rightly, she didn't make it very far.

Heck-- you could even do the wedding cake challenge gluten-free! And you could do the pizza one with a pretty orginal crust like corn flour....

Maybe we should write the food network and ask them to do a show like "cooking for food allergies" with a really famous chef. I would love to see what somebody like James Beard would've done with our bread.

Lisa16 Collaborator

As far as I remember there hasn't been a chef who does Indian/ Sri Lankan/ Pakistani/ Nepalese style food yet... that really might win because they do like cooks with an identity (I am thinking about Ilan whop did the Spanish cooking with all of the gastriques) or marcel with his "chemistry cuisine"-- go xanthan gum pineapple poi! Plus Padma would go for it.

But Ken, YOU are our great hope! You have the training and the connections and the background and the knowledge. But gosh you are kind. I am really just a determined beginner.

The other person I would nominate would be sickchick (Colette)-- she has amazing recipes.

JulieM-- perhaps you are right, but I not quite sure Dale quite has what Hung or Marcel had to back the attitude up. Time will tell. I think he will self destruct under the pressure. I would really like to see Antonia there too, but the money's still on Richard.

Top three choices? Stephanie, Richard and Antonia. What do you think?

kenlove Rising Star

These days I'm more of a grower/pusher than a user/chef.

Seeing these boxes from China come into the stores here with off color runny ink marked USDA organic really makes one wonder...

Ilan was not bad but did not understand the origin of the fruit that all of them were supposed to use. If you have to use a fruit from the country where your cuisine comes from then they needed to know what came from that country. Marcel was on top of that and I was surprised he know as much as he did and wanted to learn more. For someone who came across as nasty as he did, he knew his stuff and was really a nice guy in person.

take care

As far as I remember there hasn't been a chef who does Indian/ Sri Lankan/ Pakistani/ Nepalese style food yet... that really might win because they do like cooks with an identity (I am thinking about Ilan whop did the Spanish cooking with all of the gastriques) or marcel with his "chemistry cuisine"-- go xanthan gum pineapple poi! Plus Padma would go for it.

But Ken, YOU are our great hope! You have the training and the connections and the background and the knowledge. But gosh you are kind. I am really just a determined beginner.

The other person I would nominate would be sickchick (Colette)-- she has amazing recipes.

JulieM-- perhaps you are right, but I not quite sure Dale quite has what Hung or Marcel had to back the attitude up. Time will tell. I think he will self destruct under the pressure. I would really like to see Antonia there too, but the money's still on Richard.

Top three choices? Stephanie, Richard and Antonia. What do you think?

Lisa16 Collaborator

Ken-- What an amazing experience it must have been to actually be there and get to try the food! That would be my idea of heaven. And how lucky you are to live in such a beautiful place.

Before diagnosis, I always said that if I won the lottery, I would hire a personal chef. Now I would redo my own kitchen in a big way :) Funny how life changes a person.

I bet you still have what it takes to win the show. Plus you could showcase your fruits!

About the USDA stamps- that really does shake your faith in the government! I really think twice before I buy anything made in China these days. There have just been too many recalls and scares and where there is smoke there is fire. Not to mention the political aspect of it. <_<

Yes-- you do get the idea that we were manipulated when it came to Marcel and it is a pity because it probably really had repercussions for him later. How do you get past something like that?

I noticed last week they quoted Lisa on the "teaser" as saying she was so tired she was going to need therapy. But on the actual show what she really said was that if they dropped her cake she was going to need therapy. That is really quite different tomy mind. The editing was seamless. That rerally made me sit up and take notice and question how much of the show is pieced together like that! :angry:

Lisa

kenlove Rising Star

I've not seen the new seasons shows yet. No TV here. Even if we had it the power has been out so much over the past few weeks that it would have driven me more crazy <G> That is if we could see it though the vog from the volcano.

My son is buned out on his chef job too and got his real estate mortgage broker licenses. Why in this economy I don't know.

He's the one who should on the show though.

Your right that much of the show seems to be entertainment more than real food oriented. Yet it is real food and they seem to know what they are doing.

I do worry about the politics and food. If China cut us off there would be a lot of hungry people in the US. It's really scary how much does come in from China. Maybe we need a few strikes so the shelves are empty for a few weeks...

take care

Ken-- What an amazing experience it must have been to actually be there and get to try the food! That would be my idea of heaven. And how lucky you are to live in such a beautiful place.

Before diagnosis, I always said that if I won the lottery, I would hire a personal chef. Now I would redo my own kitchen in a big way :) Funny how life changes a person.

I bet you still have what it takes to win the show. Plus you could showcase your fruits!

About the USDA stamps- that really does shake your faith in the government! I really think twice before I buy anything made in China these days. There have just been too many recalls and scares and where there is smoke there is fire. Not to mention the political aspect of it. <_<

Yes-- you do get the idea that we were manipulated when it came to Marcel and it is a pity because it probably really had repercussions for him later. How do you get past something like that?

I noticed last week they quoted Lisa on the "teaser" as saying she was so tired she was going to need therapy. But on the actual show what she really said was that if they dropped her cake she was going to need therapy. That is really quite different tomy mind. The editing was seamless. That rerally made me sit up and take notice and question how much of the show is pieced together like that! :angry:

Lisa

Green12 Enthusiast

Ken, that would be awesome if you or your son were on the show!

Ok, so squirrelly Andrew is out. I never can call these elimination, I thought it would have been Spike for making boring chicken salad on bread with sliced tomatoes. As much as Andrew gets on my nerves at least he was creative and inventive.....

Is Stephanie cracking under the pressure? She started off on fire and she just hasn't been as sharp these last several challenges. Good thing she redeemed herself with her soup after not being able to complete the quick fire.

Another thing, they seem to be recycling the challenges, another healthy hearty meal addressing diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol. Surely they could address food allergies now :lol:

My favorite is still Antonia, and even though Dale has a tude I like him as a chef, he's my number two, then Stephanie.

kenlove Rising Star

Sadly my son really has no interest in it although some of culinary students do. I would like to see a student challenge one of these days too. They have these at regional chef conferences and are a lot of fun. Also a knowledge bowl with buzzers and the whole thing which is really hard even for the most experienced chefs. I sat at one with executive chefs from the Four Seasons and none of us could answer some of the questions.

take care

Ken, that would be awesome if you or your son were on the show!

Ok, so squirrelly Andrew is out. I never can call these elimination, I thought it would have been Spike for making boring chicken salad on bread with sliced tomatoes. As much as Andrew gets on my nerves at least he was creative and inventive.....

Is Stephanie cracking under the pressure? She started off on fire and she just hasn't been as sharp these last several challenges. Good thing she redeemed herself with her soup after not being able to complete the quick fire.

Another thing, they seem to be recycling the challenges, another healthy hearty meal addressing diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol. Surely they could address food allergies now :lol:

My favorite is still Antonia, and even though Dale has a tude I like him as a chef, he's my number two, then Stephanie.

Darn210 Enthusiast
Also a knowledge bowl with buzzers and the whole thing which is really hard even for the most experienced chefs. I sat at one with executive chefs from the Four Seasons and none of us could answer some of the questions.

take care

That sounds like quickfire material to me!!!

Archived