Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jestgar

My New Kitty Babies!

We have a gray striped Maine coon. Didn't know what it was when we got it, but he's gorgeous and very friendly. Likes to fecth things.

richard

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited!

They were tossed onto the street when the cops raided a meth house and rescued by the neighbors who then called feral care. I'm expecting a few issues as they settle in, but that breed is so mellow I'm sure they'll be fine, given enough love and patience.

They are just beautiful in person, and I'm sure will get even prettier as they stop looking so grouchy :)

We have a gray striped Maine coon. Didn't know what it was when we got it, but he's gorgeous and very friendly. Likes to fecth things.

richard

My Maine Coon fetches too, we throw a string down the stairs and he brings it back. I love the little chirp sound they make too.

Yes, ours chirps and meows a lot. When he's awake he wants constant attention and petting, but true to the breed, he isn't a lap cat. He's about 10 months old and already weighs 12 pounds. I understand they don't reach full size until age 4 or 5.

I had read in a book about the fetching thing and tried it out. He isn't always in the mood, but when he is he struts back with it like he's carrying a trophy. He also has a small mouse that he doesn't usually fetch, but does leave on our bed or in a room we use a lot.

I once read that some people call Maine coons "the tail with a cat attached to it."

richard

Yes, ours chirps and meows a lot. When he's awake he wants constant attention and petting, but true to the breed, he isn't a lap cat. He's about 10 months old and already weighs 12 pounds. I understand they don't reach full size until age 4 or 5.

I had read in a book about the fetching thing and tried it out. He isn't always in the mood, but when he is he struts back with it like he's carrying a trophy. He also has a small mouse that he doesn't usually fetch, but does leave on our bed or in a room we use a lot.

I once read that some people call Maine coons "the tail with a cat attached to it."

richard

Ours just turned 2, and he weighs 14lbs. We got him as a stray when he was about 10 months old. It was our vet who told us he was a Maine Coon. When he said he was about 10 months, I almost fell over. The cat was already 12 lbs and he was big. The tails is so cute. Ours is also not a lap cat, instead he sits near us usually on the floor or sometimes on his jungle gym.

Ours is also an attention seeker, and he is like having a shadow, if we both leave the room, within in minutes he is there behind us. I notice it alot at night, he seems to follow me more than John. I can be on the phone and look down and see him sprawled on the floor looking up at me.

We did alot of reading when we first got Lucky and it really described him down to the T. Do you have any other cats?

We also have a 15-year-old solid black cat and a gray tiger that is about 11. The two older ones are indoor-outdoor but we've decided the Maine coon will be indoors. Of course he dashes for the door every chance he gets but then doesn't really go anywhere. All of our cats are rescues -- two from the SPCA and one from a stray that crawled into a neighbor's basement and had kittens.

Henry, the Maine coon, was a surprise. I went off for a weekend and my wife and son went to the SPCA because he wanted a cat that was "his," preferably a "poofy" cat, as he calls long hairs. I love cats so I didn't mind and Henry has been a delight.

Blackie, the oldest, was my daughter's favorite. It's going to be hard when we lose him. He's slowed down a lot (although he does wrestle and battle with the kitten) but otherwise seems healthy.

richard

What a gorgeous pair. It sounds like they really need you and I hope they don't complain at you all the way home tommorrow. Thanks for posting the pics, you'll have to post one of them taking over your couch in a couple of weeks.