Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hathor

New Grist; Redbridge

The first six pack of Redbridge I enjoyed. By the time I was on my second (this is over the course of a couple weeks, not all at once :lol: ), I thought it had a strange aftertaste. So I bought some New Grist & compared the two last night.

New Grist seems to have no flavor at all.

Sigh. Is it back to wine and scotch for me?

I was wondering how old Redbridge has to be before it goes bad. I thought perhaps my second batch was just old. According to the internet, beer should be good for 4 months & this stuff was dated in May, though. Of course, it could have been handled poorly at the store. I purchased it from a different vendor.

I recall reading something a while ago that said Red Bridge was only good for either 30 or 60 days, I can't remember which and it has to be refrigerated the entire time. I don't know if there's any truth to this or not, it's just something I read a while back.

In my personal opinion, New Grist is too mild and lacking in flavor, though I could drink it if I really wanted a beer and had nothing else. Red Bridge is by far the most affordable option and is what I generally drink. Bard's Tale has the best flavor and body, but is very expensive.

Maybe I'll try another six pack of Redbridge from the first place I bought it and carefully check when it was brewed. It is possible that the stuff doesn't last as long as beer made from other ingredients. (Strangely, the second place I bought it is the one that had it in a refrigerated case, although I don't know for how long.)

I'll have to figure out what to do with the New Grist. Perhaps there are some recipes calling for beer. I certainly don't want to drink the stuff. Perhaps if I was working outside in 95 degree weather or something. But I'm recovering from a sprained ankle and not doing anything that will give me enough thirst to want it. I can't sell my husband on even trying it after my reaction :D

I was disappointed last night. The restaurant I went to always had Bard's Tale and I thought I'd try it. Now they've switched to New Grist. Oh well, the wine was nice and I can only appreciate a restaurant that is vegetarian like me and labels dishes as vegan, gluten free, soy free, etc., or will change things around if they can be made that way if possible.

I'll have to spring for a six pack of Bard's Tale sometime when I'm feeling affluent and see what I think. I am not that big a beer drinker but not being able to have it has made me want it more :rolleyes:

Check with the distributer - ask them to order you a fresh case - It would only take a few days to come in, and then you will be able to keep it on hand, and know it is good. The draw back to this is having to pay out for a full case, and to keep it refrigerated. My hubby likes to cook different things with beer for the flavor, so now he has to use redbridge. (His grilled potatoes, onions and peppers steamed in beer are fantastic...)

I was told by the distributer that it was good for 4 months (120 days) from the date it has on the bottles.