Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ptkds

Is Grain Alcohol Safe?

I was reading the Pam spray label again, and I got to wondering about the grain alcohol. Is it safe?? I wound up getting the Mazola cooking spray that was more "natural" and pure.

Thanks!

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was reading the Pam spray label again, and I got to wondering about the grain alcohol. Is it safe?? I wound up getting the Mazola cooking spray that was more "natural" and pure.

Thanks!

ptkds

That depends on your system, some of us react to distilled gluten grains but some are fine with them. The only way to really tell if you react or not is to challenge a for sure gluten grain derived vinager and/or alcohol to see if you react. It does seem folks with neuro damage and DH are more likely to react.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks!

ptkds

Pam is gluten free. To my knowledge it is corn derived. Anything that is more natural and pure will always be my first choice also.

If a product lists grain alcohol, you should always call the manufacturer to identify the source.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien