Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sully

We Need Help!

We are new to the gluten free diet. Our son is 2 years old and has serious balance and gait issues so we are trying it for a while. Can you tell us some ingredients we should be looking out for on ingredients lists that don't specifically say wheat or gluten but could contain gluten. We have emailed some companies to see if they are gluten free and they say to read the label, but we don't know what some the ingredients are most of the time. Things like, maltodextrin, dextrose, caramel color, natural flavors, turmeric, natural pork flavor. I could go on forever. Is there a list somewhere that tells you what these things are?

Hi Sully, there's a list on the homepage of this website, it's in the list of links and it says it's a link for a list of ok and not ok ingredients. You might want to print it out and keep it in your purse. There's also a person here named NoGluGirl who has a list of stuff that's ok at Walmart, but ingredients change, so always read labels, even if you bought the same thing a week ago!

Your BEST bet is to stick with companies that will not hide their gluten in vague ingredients. I will post a link to those companies. You should call these companies yourself. It gives you good practice and then you know for sure. Besides, some of the companies might not have the best policies about labeling gluten (Like Campbell's?). Anyway, the list is pretty actuate--not absolutely perfect. My favorite mainstream companies are Kraft and General Mills. Other companies have good lists like Ora-Ida, Hormel, Frito-Lay, and so on. If there are other products that you love and you suspect that they may be gluten free, then you should call the company.

Now to really answer your question. The major ingredients that I watch for are natural flavoring, flavoring, spices, and broth. Modified food starch is more about personal preference. If modified food starch is made out of wheat it has to be disclaimed, as wheat is one of the top 8 allergens. In theory, MFS could be made out of barley, rye or oats, but it is basically unheard of.

Here's my policy. I try to stick with companies that either label their products gluten free or will clearly list their ingredients. I also use some gluten free lists provided by companies. I mostly buy name brands, or Walmart brands. If I pick up a product that does not fall into the above categories and it contains an ingredient like natural flavorings, flavorings or broth I put it back and choose an alternative product.

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

Don't worry, it gets much easier to buy food as time goes on. :)

We are new to the gluten free diet. Our son is 2 years old and has serious balance and gait issues so we are trying it for a while. Can you tell us some ingredients we should be looking out for on ingredients lists that don't specifically say wheat or gluten but could contain gluten. We have emailed some companies to see if they are gluten free and they say to read the label, but we don't know what some the ingredients are most of the time. Things like, maltodextrin, dextrose, caramel color, natural flavors, turmeric, natural pork flavor. I could go on forever. Is there a list somewhere that tells you what these things are?

The Canadian Celiac Society (www.celiac.ca) has a poket dictionary that fits easily in your purse for when your shopping and lists all the ingredients you can and cannot have on the gluten free diet, very handy, I love mine. I'm not sure where you live but if you live in Canada you can order through the site (Products - Booklets). Hope this helps.

Sully,

I used the safe list and forbidden list from this site. It is printed out and i refer to it regularly.

I know it can be EXTREMELY OVERWHELMING at first but stick with it! I ate so little when i was first diagnosed. I NEVER shopped at walmart b/c i was terrified to read the labels.

BUT BUT BUT.......

As time goes on, and as you familiarize yourself with the lists then it becomes second nature. I can read a label in 5.5 seconds now :lol: Serious!

Good luck to you guys! It gets better! Hang in there!