Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aligray

Are Fountain Cokes Gluten Free?

I know that can coke is gluten free but are fountain cokes? I dont know if im reacting to the acidity or gluten. Or if im being paranoid :lol:

Any knowledge would be so helpful! Thank u!

-Ali :)

HI Ali,

When I was diagnosed, back in the dark ages, I was given information to never drink beverages that come out of a machine. You know the ones, where the cup comes down and then the liquid follows. I was taught what comes out of a bottle is safe if the ingredients are gluten-free.

I don't know if the machine blends aren't gluten-free or just contaminated.

neesee

I drink fountain cokes all the time and do not have a problem. However, I think it is very possible to end up with a dirty glass or a dirty nosel (sp?).

Hez

Well, im just confused. I know im reacting but why? i know the answer seems simple here :P but i am so addicted :lol:

Oh well, i guess i'l have to give them up. :(

Plus side...i should lose some weight ;)

Guest j_mommy

It's hard to give them up....I used to drink 8 cans/bottles of Mt. Dew a day. I now limit myself to 1. I drink crystal light and tea instead!

I feel a ton better and the caffine was really messing with my insides!!! Everything regulated again once I stopped!

While not zero, the chance of cross-contamination in a soda machine is minimal. I have never found an soda that has a gluten-containing ingredient, so the risk of getting a bit of another flavor does not worry me. If the cup drops from the machine and then is filled, the risk is about zero. If the fountain is manually operated, there is a chance that the cup will be held close enough to the spout to cause some backward feed. But, again, I have not found a soda with gluten. It may be different outside North America, but I don't worry about it here.

Your reaction could be to mold, as companies are neglectful when it comes to cleaning the lines that feed the machines. I can't drink fountain drinks at all.

OMG Holly! I am incredibly allergic to mold! I wonder if thats the issue. Today will be my first day without them :( Im going to substitute w cans but try to decrease considerably the amount i drink :(

Thanks for all the input guys! I will just drink more water which ironically i do love :)

Sonce i started the gluten-free diet in january of this yr, i have lost 31 lbs. it would be sooo much more if i get off the coke...oh and exercise a little ;)