Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dionnek

Frozen Veggies - Be Careful!

I just thought I'd share my latest blunder for those newbies out there (all you seasoned celiacs already do this, I"m sure) - ALWAYS check labels! I bought some frozen green beans in butter sauce for my daughter (she wanted them b/c they had Sponge Bob square pants on the bag!) and, since I've successfully had the frozen broccoli in cheese sauce which is gluten free, I didn't even look at the ingredients. I cooked half the package and ate them without a problem, but I've been feeling unwell for the past few weeks so decided to revisit everything that goes in my mouth - was about to cook the rest of these green beans a few nights ago and looked at the ingredients and sure enough, they have wheat! Why anyone would put wheat in green beans is beyond me, but just goes to show that you can't be too careful (common sense doesn't seem to prevail in this world!).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The wheat is probably used as a thickening agent in their synthetic butter sauce to give it a butter-like consistancy.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I read about this in one of my allergy books that wheat is often used to keep the frozen veggies from sticking together. I hadn't noticed any that contain wheat, other than some potatoes. But then we don't buy much in the way of frozen veggies aside from the plain ones. And because we have additional allergies, I always check every label.