Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FootballFanatic

Need Some Info On B12

Which one's gluten free? Does it taste bad?

I don't like things dissolving in my mouth, just one of those things I find gross...

Anyway, I can shop at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, and there are some health food stores around here....so if ya'll could offer up some gluten free brands that those places might carry, I need it, I'm having all the symptoms of deficiency.

Thanks!

10-06 Diagnosed Urinary Tract Infection (Allergic to Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, Doxycycline, Monocycline, Penicillin) - This UTI is still present with no symptoms.

10-06 Diagnosed "Acid Reflux" (Nexium didn't work)

12-06 Endoscopy diagnosed Gastritis (Negative Bioposy)

12-06 Negative bloodwork for Celiac Disease, Diagnosed "Gastroparesis" - Started Zelnorm

1-07 Diagnosed "IBS-C" - Still taking Zelnorm

3-07 HIDA scan to check gallbladder which was fully functional.

3-07 Zelnorm taken off market, started Domperidone

4-21-07 Emergency Appendectomy (FUUUNN!)

7-24-07 Enterolab results came back positive

Gluten Free since that night....

...Still not feeling great.

"Don't expect constant success, but strive for constant growth."

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use Nature's Bounty - 2,500 mcg, and they taste really good and you can ask your pharmacist to order them. I get them at our local, privately owned drug store.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

I use Country Life Active B12 Dibencozide with folic acid 3000 MCG. It has a mild cherry flavor and disolves quickly. I get it at my local health food store, wegmans also has one under their store brand. It sells out quick though.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Because my B12 was so low the doctor put me on a shot that I take every 4 weeks. May sting a little to do it but easier to remember than a pill everyday. As :huh: I am on many of those that it looks like I own a pharmacy.

Lisa

Mom of four boys

Nana to three granddaughters

Diagnosed with Celiac January 2006 after positive biopsy and follow up with positive blood tests

Diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome March 2006 after ruling out so many other things

Vitamin B12 deficiency October 2006

Oldest son diagnosed Celiac June 2006 also diagnosed type one diabetic November 2002

Join eNewsletter

To be honest, the best stuff usually isn't sold in drug stores--that being said, I will probably get :( yelled at, but here goes. The best B12 to get is the methylcobalamin and not the cyanobalamin type. Cyanobalamin is harder for our bodies to process, the methylcobalamin is much easier to absorb. A sublingual is the best source, that is obvious to all here, as I can see. Methylcobalamin is harder to find and more expensive, as a rule. I buy mine from Lame Advertisement.com and the brand I am using right now is Biochem by Country Life--it has NO: yeast, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, starch, perservatives, artificial colors or artificial sweeteners. It contains 3000mcg of B12, 50mg Vit C, and 400mcg of Folic Acid in each tablet. The cost was $6.89 for 50 tablets, which I really didn't think was so bad.

To be honest, many doctors feel most B12 taken my mouth is wasted in the stomach. Many will tell you it gives you "rich" urine. Some doctors truly do not realize the benefits of B12. My doctor tells me he doesn't truly think it helps, even though he has patients who swear by it. I think he feels, if you think it helps, then it does, mind over matter! I am thinking about doing B12 shots, my doctor has given me the ok to try them, both the neuro and my primary care doc, so I may just go that path, I could do probably 2 shots a month and see what happens. I have peripheral neuropathy and if I do not take my B12 for just a short time, I can tell a huge difference in pain levels, so I know B12 is a deficiency problem for me.

I would urge any of you who have not started on B12 yet, to first have your B12 level tested, just to see where it's at. It's a simple blood test, ask specifically for a B12 test though, or they may not test that level. When I had mine checked, I was already taking B12, so the level wasn't a true level.

I hope I have made some sense! ;)

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter