Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mythreesuns

All This Talk About gluten-free Bakeries...

In another post down below people were talking about gluten-free bakeries, but I've never heard of them. Where can you find listings of them?

I live in South Jersey, and could easily travel to Philly or NYC. Are there bakeries in either of those places?

Toni

Casein free since June 2006.

Gluten free since August 2006

Egg and Soy free since October 2006.

Diagnosis of IBS May 2006.

Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia September 2006.

Negative biopsy and blood tests.

EnterLab results:

Gluten intolerance

Egg intolerance

Soy intolerance

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) which means I have one celiac gene and one sensitivity gene.

Mother of three special boys. (and not just because of their dx's)

Married 13 years to a guy who wishes we weren't all so "special!"

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Remember, Google is your friend B)

http://www.glutenfreeceliacweb.com/restaur...-free-bakeries/

The answer to your question is yes. Actually, from a little more googling, I see that Mr. Ritts now has a branch in New Jersey:

http://www.mrritts.com/

Plus, Foods by George is located in New Jersey as well:

http://www.foodsbygeorge.com/faq.html

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

One thing I would add, though, is that you might not be able to find bakery items that don't have casein or egg in them. I have ready access to items from a bakery in Baltimore called Sweet Sin. But every single product I've seen contains egg at least :(

So, if I were you, I would investigate before driving to one of these places.

I know of one bakery starting up that is gluten-free and vegan (hence no milk or egg). She is going to try to get her products in stores. The shipping costs to one's home are rather extreme, unfortunately.

You may need to find mixes and use dairy and egg substitutes for your yum yums.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

I am planning on visiting deby's in denver later this month and also cant wait to see how much it will take me to bribe a few shipments if it is worth it anyways, if prices for shipping are to high then maybe she will just give me the recipes, lol hey dont kill a persons dreams for some of us its all we have, lol

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

You may want to check out http://www.babycakesnyc.com/ in NY city. They use alternative ingredients instead of wheat, gluten, dairy, casein and eggs. They're coming out to California too, I can't wait!!! :D

Yeah, I just went to their website, and they use spelt in half their stuff, and it would cost me 20 EXTRA dollars to get a dozen brownies shipped from NYC to CT. Their prices seem great for a NYC bakery if you were to walk in, but I'm not paying that for shipping! I could screw up five of my own batches of brownies for that!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Yeah, I just went to their website, and they use spelt in half their stuff, and it would cost me 20 EXTRA dollars to get a dozen brownies shipped from NYC to CT. Their prices seem great for a NYC bakery if you were to walk in, but I'm not paying that for shipping! I could screw up five of my own batches of brownies for that!

I agree with you about the shipping, but if you're ever in NYC, Babycakes is definitely worth the trip down to the lower east side!

Join eNewsletter

WOW!

Thanks, everybody! Now I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day....looking for gluten-free bakeries online!!!!!!!!

Toni

Casein free since June 2006.

Gluten free since August 2006

Egg and Soy free since October 2006.

Diagnosis of IBS May 2006.

Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia September 2006.

Negative biopsy and blood tests.

EnterLab results:

Gluten intolerance

Egg intolerance

Soy intolerance

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) which means I have one celiac gene and one sensitivity gene.

Mother of three special boys. (and not just because of their dx's)

Married 13 years to a guy who wishes we weren't all so "special!"

Join eNewsletter

Shipping is a fact of life for my family. I don't like it but you have to pay the piper if you want good stuff! Unless you are in a big celiac area!! One thing to remember is to muake sure your shipping box is full & they can't stick another goodie in the box. If you are only wanting One box of something then shipping becomes a nightmare so I always have them tell me how much they can squueeze into that box. Usually it is something like a flat rate box for $20.00 so weight is not an issue....

I order from Joansgfgreatbakes for $17.00 shipping I can get five tubs of bagels & muffins plus two sweet breads & a pizza crust..

The Grainless Baker is in Pa & has some yummy breads & also they are carried by Epicure in Spring Lake Heights , NJ. plus CHris will meet you somehwere neutral if you place a big enough order.....This store also carries things from Everybody Eats so you can get a variety through Epicure.... I always spends $250.00 or so & freeze things to take advantage of the shipping.

You can buy Against the Grain in NY. Goggle them & they list stores that carry their goodies....

We live where there is nothing so I either drive for hours or do mailorder.......

good luck

mamaw

Join eNewsletter

Guest j_mommy

Silly yak Bakery does that with the box and they tell you on their web page exactly how many things will fit in a box...it's great...I love their garlic cheese bread and their lemon poppyseed muffins...yummmmm!

Join eNewsletter

Silly yak Bakery does that with the box and they tell you on their web page exactly how many things will fit in a box...it's great...I love their garlic cheese bread and their lemon poppyseed muffins...yummmmm!

I live too close to health food stores and a Whole Foods to justify that kind of cost, but if i didn't I'd be all over the internet!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter