Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holiday16

Wild Vines Wine?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've never heard of a wine containing gluten, either. I think it is only a concern if you are looking at a wine cooler or some other product where something is added to the wine.

I saw a reference once to an experiment (in another country, if I'm remembering right) with using gluten as a fining agent for wine (in which case small amount could be in the finished product). But I am unaware of any companies deciding to go forward with that. No descriptions of the fining process I commonly read mention the use of gluten.

I've seen the concern expressed that wheat-based glues used in casks could make their way into the final product. But no one tests for that, and I don't even think a test for that exists. There is currently a proposal to require US vintners to list major allergens as is required for food. Many fining agents are major allergens, after all.

That said, I've never heard of anyone having a gluten reaction to wine. A reaction to lingering fining agents, sulfites, etc., perhaps, but not gluten.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

From what I can tell I think it is something that has juice or something added. I don't worry about wine either, but this seems to fall more in the wine cooler category. I was wondering if it had gluten because someone gave my parents a bottle and they both felt sick after drinking it. Could always have just been coincidence, but it did contain natural flavors so who knows. I'm really hating the natural flavor ingredient list because I've gotten sick before off a product that changed their ingredients and added malt, but it was listed under natural flavors so I missed it. Very frustrating!

Join eNewsletter

There is currently a proposal to require US vintners to list major allergens as is required for food. Many fining agents are major allergens, after all.

I saw a segment about this on some show.

Grrrrrr can't remember what show.

They did say that some Aussie producers use something w/ gluten. :ph34r:

I'd previously bought a bottle of an Aussie c.sauvignon by Kim Crawford & now I'm afraid to drink it w/out further info!!

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter