Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suzimarie06

Coke Products?

i am a very very new celiac and just learning how to be on a gluten free diet...

are coke products okay? i have seen somewhere that the coca cola company claims their products to be gluten free... but coke, cherry coke, etc have caramel coloring. in a little book i got from a dietician, it says to stay away from caramel coloring.

so how do i know if it is okay for me to drink the coke products with caramel coloring or not??

im sure im going to have so many more questions but thats all i have time for now...im just so excited for this forum..i've looked through it before and its amazing!! probably the most encouraging thing i've seen so far since being diagnosed :)

thanks!!!

suzanne

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Suzanne,

Yes, all cokes, seven-up, sprite and pepsi are gluten free. Now, with that said some people here do react to caramel color, but it is considered safe for Celiacs.

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a list of companies who will always clearly list wheat, barley, rye and malt. It will be a great help to you when looking for safe products.

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

Feel free to ask away. That's what we are all here for.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Yep! They are gluten free BUT unfortunately I do have a reaction :(

-Ali :)

1/07 Gluten free after being severely ill and fatigued for a straight year and GI issues since teenager.

2/07 Negative blood work but phenomenal results on gluten-free diet.

2/14/07 Found to be critically deficient in vitamin D.

10/27/07 Dairy free due to being sick last two months.

10/28/07 Son, 9 yrs old, began elimination diet due to tummy issues and behavior issues.

Also dx with Fibromyalgia but not 100% sure i have it anymore now that I am on gluten free diet. Could have been Celiac all along!

Gluten free is the way to be! I feel soooo much better!

Join eNewsletter

They are considered gluten free but the company uses the codex standard. My DS and I also react like a gluten reaction from the carmel coloring. We have no problems with the clear sodas. The best way to decide if they are safe for you is to drink them for a few days while consuming nothing else that is questionable.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Welcome, Suzanne!

I agree with the reports that Coke products are gluten free. I't a good thing, because I'm addicted to Diet Coke (Starting with breakfast - I like my caffeine cold). I guess I could be addicted to worse things. If I had to give up gluten - at least I can still have my Diet Coke! :D

Cindy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

Join eNewsletter

just to throw in my two cents...

I loved Coke Zero when it came out, but when I called Coca-Cola they said they could only tell me it was below so many ppm (sorry, it's been over a year and i can't remember the details!). So I only drink the ones they call gluten free (such as Coke, Sprite, Cherry Coke, Diet Coke, etc.) and stay away from the ones that are listed as not gluten free but below the Codex level. That's my personal policy; I apologize if this information is out of date. There's no info on the website and I'm too lazy to call!

diagnosed 8/05 through positive bloodwork & biopsy

gluten-free since then!

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among mysteries." Theodore Roethke

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter