Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happyslob

Corn Flour

Hi everyone,

I've found a few recipes calling for corn flour. I thought that instead of finding that more specialty-type item, I could simply use cornmeal and grind it down well in my blender. Would that work okay?

Thanks!

Christina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I bought some corn flour in the ethnic section in Walmart. It was $1.98 for 4.4 lbs. It is instant corn masa flour. I hope it works as normal corn flour. :rolleyes: I just thought I'd throw the idea out there since it's so cheap and it says gluten free on the package.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Before started purchasing Corn flour from Kinnikinnick, I would grind cornmeal in a clean, new mini coffee grinder and that worked.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I bought some corn flour in the ethnic section in Walmart. It was $1.98 for 4.4 lbs. It is instant corn masa flour. I hope it works as normal corn flour. :rolleyes: I just thought I'd throw the idea out there since it's so cheap and it says gluten free on the package.

I believe masa harina is corn flour treated with lime. It may impart a slightly different taste than pure corn flour or it may not matter, I don't know. Probably depends on how much lime is in it. I use a lot of corn tortillas, and sometimes you can really smell the lime. Usually, it's the smaller brands that are more traditional or authentic Mexican varieties. I like it actually.

Bob's Red Mill makes corn flour. Saw some today at Brookshires grocery store, $2.95 for 24 oz. I also use unseasoned fish fry breading mix, it's just corn flour. Comes in a plastic bag-like package, usually around 1.00 to $2.00 for 10 oz. Many times it is the only way you will find corn flour in a regular grocery store.

It's a little known secret I discovered years ago when I was doing a lot of experimenting with batter mixes for frying shrimp, catfish, oysters, chicken, etc. One of my faves was 1/3 corn meal, 1/3 corn flour, and 1/3 corn flake crumbs. That was BC. Don't fry much anymore.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa