This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated

~alex~

~alex~ Explorer

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 11 months ago and in the process I lost almost 20 pounds (which I didn't need to lose) and I think a lot of what I lost was muscle mass. I was quite active before the Celiac symptoms started. I certainly wasn't a marathon runner or anything but a couple of 5 k runs a week and played in soccer and volleyball rec leagues.

I'm just about back to normal healthwise and have been trying to get back into shape but it is not going well. I've gained back about half of what I lost but not much of that has been muscle. I just don't know where to start to get back into shape. I went indoor rock climbing with friends on the weekend and I used to be able to climb it fairly easily but I couldn't even make it half way up the wall because I was so winded and my muscles were shaking and cramping.

Has anyone had any success with a personal trainer? I have been thinking of that route because I don't know where I should start or what I should do. Sports were always a constant in my life and I don't remember ever having to get back into shape like this. If anyone has any ideas or things that worked for them, that would be terrific. I am getting so frustrated with myself!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Alex, I think a personal trainer is a wonderful idea. I'd look for someone with experience ... ask around for referrals. Physical therapy might be another idea if you've really gotten weak .... perhaps it would be covered by insurance?

You'll get it back. Just keep active! It will take some time.

woolwhippet Explorer

It's so frustrating to backslide in fitness! I am on week four of regaining strength and it's going pretty well. I had a personal trainer/physiotherapist/ex national gymnast get me started with back to basics strength routine that I can do in my home every day for ten-15 minutes coupled with cardio (walking) 3x per week. I think having a trainer start you off is a great idea but make sure they understand that you are recovering from an illness and know how to guide you slowly through the process.

I am self directed now--just needed guidance to get started. You sound the same and you also sound very determined so I am sure you will have great success.

Remember to be kind to yourslef too! You have been sick. It took a long time to lose your fitness but I think you will be surprised at how quickly it will come back.

hathor Contributor

I've had great success with the P90X program from Beachbody. Once I finished those 90 days, my strength, aerobic endurance and flexibility were all markedly better. I also added muscle. (For instance, one and a half inches to my biceps -- not bad for a menopausal woman!)

If that is a bit much to start out with (there are tests to see if one is ready for this program), there is Power 90.

Of course, there are other videos, exercise classes, and personal trainers which could work. I'm just reporting what really worked for me.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

All I can say is- David Swenson Ashtanga Yoga, series 1. I was in pretty good shape before--didn't think it would change that much--OMG!!!! It has completely transformed my body and uses muscles I didn't know I had. You need no equipment, you can follow thru the practice for as much time as you have available, I usually can fit in an hour 3xweek. It's great because you can only move as far as your body can move, but you notice each time you do it, you can move a little more than the time before. I had NO upper body strength before and now I can lift my whole body up off the floor!! (I've only been doing it for ~ 2 months!) It's not like regular Hatha yoga, it's more of a power yoga and it kicks my butt!!

~alex~ Explorer

Thanks for all of the ideas and encouragement. I will definitely look into all of your suggestions of what has worked for you.

Physical therapy does sound like something I might need to do. My doc mentioned it at one time due to the muscle atrophy I developed from months spent in bed/on the couch. At the time I was resistant to the notion that I might need physical therapy but I may need to revisit that idea. I always like to think that I should be able to do things on my own. Illness is certainly a good lesson in humility!

• 3 weeks later...
zkat Apprentice

Alex,

I was where you are last January. I am also an avid runner and play soccer. I spent the majority of my 20's in bed when I wasn't working. Seriously out of shape and ill. After going gluten free, I felt much better and realized I truly missed those days of sports. I started with light running a couple of days a week and used the elipitical trainer other days (Coolrunning.com has a good couch to 5K plan and Runner's World also has a good beginner's plan). The most important thing I did for my health and muscle atrophy was lifting weights, as heavy as I could manage, which was very much at the time, but I built up. If you can find a personal trainer that is knowledgable, then go pay for a couple of sessions to get you back in the swing of things.

The freedom of being able to push yourself so hard is exhilerating! I missed it so much, now I don't take it for granted.

1 year gluten free and I am training for a 1/2 marathon and play on 2 soccer leagues-at the age of 32!

It sounds like you have a back ground, just need a starting point. Do you prefer full body work-outs or individual muscle group exercises. (Like Back and Biceps one day, Chest and Tricepts different day)

Kat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Offthegrid Explorer

I used this program when I was really overweight and out of shape. I started walking (at 19 minutes/mile :o ), ended up placing 2nd female and 3rd overall in a competitive walk 5K in just a few months. I then progressed to jogging. But I've been taking some time off over the holidays and since we moved. :P

Open Original Shared Link

It sounds like to build strength you really need to do some weight-lifting. Why not use a personal trainer to set up your routine, then do it on your own and check up with the traininer every 4-6 weeks? That could save you some money! Physical therapy is a good idea if insurance will cover, too.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Thanks for all of the ideas and encouragement. I will definitely look into all of your suggestions of what has worked for you.

Physical therapy does sound like something I might need to do. My doc mentioned it at one time due to the muscle atrophy I developed from months spent in bed/on the couch. At the time I was resistant to the notion that I might need physical therapy but I may need to revisit that idea. I always like to think that I should be able to do things on my own. Illness is certainly a good lesson in humility!

Think of physical therapy not as the inability to do something on your own, but rather the opportunity to learn how to reach *your* specific goals in the healthiest way for *you*. It's such a good personalized learning opportunity, that it's worth giving it a chance. Of course, there's no one who can give us the patience we need for the process... that's hard! :)

Archived