This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Get Super Dizzy When Working Out?

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

So i've been trying to get back in shape the last two months, and have really struggled with it. I've been going to the gym on average 4x a week for 30 minutes to 1 hr. I have bad knees so I haven't worked myself into running yet. Plus I'm way out of shape. Whenever I start pushing myself (not crazy pushing, just exerting "jogging" energy), I get so dizzy. It's very frustrating. Is it my blood sugar levels? I'm trying to eat a little protein before going to work out. Or is it just because I'm out of shape? I have a fear of falling, and am always scared to push myself at the gym, because I'm afraid I'll pass out or something. Any insight? Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rosebud710 Apprentice

I get dizzy, too, which is why I avoid treadmills. I also have the same fears you have, falling, passing out, etc. and found the more I work-out the dizziness tends to go away. It could also be what you're eating. Protein is fine, but you should focus on carbs since you are working out so much. Eat some carb an hour or less before your work-out and then eat some right after your work-out. It sounds like you're not exerting yourself so you don't really need anything during your work-outs. I just finished a nutrition class for my personal training certificate, so this is all fresh in my mind!

Hope this helps!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If this is happening frequently, I would recommend talking with your Dr. If eating before isn't helping, you might want to consider having a stress test to make sure you aren't having BP issues or arrythmia problems--PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) or SVT (super-ventricular tachycardia). This can happen without you being aware that your heart rhythm is changing. I see it all the time. Better safe than sorry...

sickchick Community Regular

Oh yes I do, too.

I love walking though HAHAHA B)

Hope you get steady soon!

sickchick

I get dizzy, too, which is why I avoid treadmills. I also have the same fears you have, falling, passing out, etc. and found the more I work-out the dizziness tends to go away. It could also be what you're eating. Protein is fine, but you should focus on carbs since you are working out so much. Eat some carb an hour or less before your work-out and then eat some right after your work-out. It sounds like you're not exerting yourself so you don't really need anything during your work-outs. I just finished a nutrition class for my personal training certificate, so this is all fresh in my mind!

Hope this helps!

K, I will try this. I have been eating something small, like a hardboiled egg, or a handful of almonds. I'll give carbs a shot. Thanks!

If this is happening frequently, I would recommend talking with your Dr. If eating before isn't helping, you might want to consider having a stress test to make sure you aren't having BP issues or arrythmia problems--PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) or SVT (super-ventricular tachycardia). This can happen without you being aware that your heart rhythm is changing. I see it all the time. Better safe than sorry...

We just got a blood pressure cuff at work, and I was messing around with it. I'm normal, always am at my dr appts too. Would any of these things be hidden or need special testing?

Oh yes I do, too.

I love walking though HAHAHA B)

Hope you get steady soon!

sickchick

I would rather walk too :lol: but i'm trying to lose some weight :rolleyes:

tarnalberry Community Regular

We just got a blood pressure cuff at work, and I was messing around with it. I'm normal, always am at my dr appts too. Would any of these things be hidden or need special testing?

I would rather walk too :lol: but i'm trying to lose some weight :rolleyes:

The blood pressure cuff will only tell you about the blood pressure, not heart beat irregularities. It's worth working with your doctor on that one. In the meantime, however, walking will burn nearly as many calories as running (though it will take longer... ;) ).

Vamonos Rookie
So i've been trying to get back in shape the last two months, and have really struggled with it. I've been going to the gym on average 4x a week for 30 minutes to 1 hr. I have bad knees so I haven't worked myself into running yet. Plus I'm way out of shape. Whenever I start pushing myself (not crazy pushing, just exerting "jogging" energy), I get so dizzy. It's very frustrating. Is it my blood sugar levels? I'm trying to eat a little protein before going to work out. Or is it just because I'm out of shape? I have a fear of falling, and am always scared to push myself at the gym, because I'm afraid I'll pass out or something. Any insight? Thanks :)

sometimes being dehydrated or anemic can also produce the symptoms you are describing. 6-8 glasses of fluid per day is a reasonable goal. Have you had a cbc (hemoglobin/hemocrit) checked recently? I always reach for food when I get light headed, not realizing my body really needs fluids.

hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The blood pressure cuff will only tell you about the blood pressure, not heart beat irregularities. It's worth working with your doctor on that one. In the meantime, however, walking will burn nearly as many calories as running (though it will take longer... ;) ).

If you feel better walking than running, increase the incline and decrease the speed--MUCH more effective than walking flat-and makes one's butt look GREAT!!. I would still look into the arrythmia possibility as well as BP changes WITH exercise. It doesn't always matter what your resting BP is...

• 1 month later...
bakingbarb Enthusiast

I just found this thread and I too have the same issues.

I get light headed/dizzy easily and I always thought I wasn't eating correctly although now I am gaining weight like crazy! I love to walk so am trying to get more of that back into my routine BUT I am really trying to drink more water. It is just so frustrating to get light headed, I will have a whole food smoothie and an hour later be dizzy as heck. Why is that? A Dr. a long time ago told me I have issues with low blood sugar so could this be causing my blood sugar to hike up then drop?

I don't know but Dr's don't really seem to know the answers so I don't ask much anymore. Will try drinking more though.

I just found this thread and I too have the same issues.

I get light headed/dizzy easily and I always thought I wasn't eating correctly although now I am gaining weight like crazy! I love to walk so am trying to get more of that back into my routine BUT I am really trying to drink more water. It is just so frustrating to get light headed, I will have a whole food smoothie and an hour later be dizzy as heck. Why is that? A Dr. a long time ago told me I have issues with low blood sugar so could this be causing my blood sugar to hike up then drop?

I don't know but Dr's don't really seem to know the answers so I don't ask much anymore. Will try drinking more though.

I think you should look into the stuff I posted before--check blood pressure, heart rhythm issue, CBC, CMP just to make sure there is no underlying issue if you know you aren't dehydrated, hungry etc... An exercise stress test may be helpful.

If you feel better walking than running, increase the incline and decrease the speed--MUCH more effective than walking flat-and makes one's butt look GREAT!!. I would still look into the arrythmia possibility as well as BP changes WITH exercise. It doesn't always matter what your resting BP is...

hmm, a great butt sounds like a good goal! i'll have to do that at the gym tomorrow :)

gfcookie Newbie

this is one of those not related to celiac things. My guess is you're out of shape, and over exerting yourself, try getting into it at a slower pace. also, try an eliptical, you can hold on to those!!! If this is just happening in the gym, it's probalby that you need to take it a bit slower!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I have hypoglycemic tendencies. I bought a book last year called "The Healing Power of Foods" and it basically went through all the most common foods and gives all the health benefits of them. It helped me to learn which foods helped stabilize blood sugar (like beans, olives, rice, etc) and the benefits of complex carbs in small, frequent amounts. There is a part in the book that addresses specific disorders/diseases, and both celiac and hypoglycemia are in there. For me, it was money WELL spent. The advice given is about being balanced, and what foods to avoid if you have specific problems... I found it at Barnes and Nobles, but I'm sure you could find it anywhere.

I get dizzy and nauseaous when I work out too. I have to make sure that I eat about half and hour to 45 minutes before I work out, and my food ideally is a protein and carb combo. The protein helps slow the breakdown of the carb, giving you a bit more sustained energy. Oddly enough, I do pretty well running. It's the weight bearing things that bother me more. So, you just have to do what you can do.

Hope that helps a little! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Rob. Newbie

To add a rather off base point, I have a similar experience due to bacterial overgrowth. I believe exercise brings on the dizziness as it works up all the toxins that had settled in the muscles.

There are multiple options for helping that if you think its possible that its whats affecting you.

Archived