Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrskchart

New And Looking For Ingredients Listed To Watch Out For

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

Take this list when you go shopping...it helped me alot in teh begining!

https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

I wouldn't worry about....artifical and Natrual flavoring ect if the product is made in teh US.

Good Luck!

Also don't go crazy buying Special things...alot of store brands ect are gluten-free. You don't need to spend a ton of money to go gluten-free!

Good Luck!

I use the list of companies that disclose gluten posted above. If the company does not disclose all gluten in the ingredients, or if I'm unsure, I don't buy the product if natural flavorings, flavoring, spices or broth is listed. I think natural flavoring is the ingredient we must worry about most.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Since this was a double post, I merged them (that is why the beginning post appears again).

You also need to avoid malt and maltodextrin.

Triticale is a hybrid of wheat and rye and needs to be avoided, too.

In addition, ALL people new to celiac disease need to avoid all dairy, at least for the first few months. The tips of the villi will in some people produce the enzyme lactase, which enables them to digest dairy. If your villi are blunted, you can't digest dairy, and it will hinder your recovery.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You also need to avoid malt and maltodextrin.

Actually, what you need to avoid is dextrin. Yes, it's confusing. Dextrin, by the FDA's definition, is a food starch that can be made from a variety of grains, including wheat. Maltodextrin in the US is only made from corn. The 'malt-" part comes from maltose, one of the sugars that bind together to make the dextrins, which are big chains of sugar.

Maltodextrin = OK, Dextrin = not OK.

My son can't eat rice Krispie treats because they sweeten the rice with malt sugar, which is made from barley. Ack!

OTher things to watch out for: glues on envelopes and stamps, 'natural' flavorings, some of which are made from wheat, carmel color, and the biggie, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH. If a food contains this, you'd better call and make sure it's not from wheat starch. Of course, Kraft will tell you on its labels if it's from wheat.

Also, keep in mind that Bob's Mill sells gluten-free oats. Oats themselves don't have gluten, but most in the US are procesed on the same equipment that wheat is processed on, so they contain gluten. Of course, there are those people who also react to oats, so use caution.

Good luck, and keep reading the labels!!