Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi, I am new to the forum (actually this is the first forum I have ever used)

I am wondering if any have tried the "Only Oats" quick flakes. It states that it is wheat free - I saw on line that it said it was safe for Celiacs. I am so leary of trying this item.........help!

Thanks all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I am new to the forum (actually this is the first forum I have ever used)

I am wondering if any have tried the "Only Oats" quick flakes. It states that it is wheat free - I saw on line that it said it was safe for Celiacs. I am so leary of trying this item.........help!

Thanks all.

I am new to this as well. I just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago and miss my oatmeal, so hopefully someone can answer it. My naturopath did mention that cooked Quinoea tastes very similar.

Good luck :)

Sometimes wheat free does not mean gluten free. You might want to see there is no barley or rye or malt in it. I am actually not familiar with this product but that should help you out.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I have a box of that stuff, but haven't tried it yet.

It is really just oats, there's no other ingredient. The reason they call it "Only Oats" is because it's produced in a dedicated field (not crop rotated with wheat, barley, or rye), and processed on dedicated lines. Hence, if you are one of the 90% or of celiacs who do not react to avenin, the oat protein, you'll should be fine.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

It is really just oats, there's no other ingredient. The reason they call it "Only Oats" is because it's produced in a dedicated field (not crop rotated with wheat, barley, or rye), and processed on dedicated lines. Hence, if you are one of the 90% or of celiacs who do not react to avenin, the oat protein, you'll should be fine.

Is it really 90% that don't react? Just wondering if you've seen a study that shows that number.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Is it really 90% that don't react? Just wondering if you've seen a study that shows that number.

I got that out of my own meta study - around 10% of patients either having actual findings or dropping out of the study due to symptoms (about which I made my own conclusions), but have seen it quoted by real ceilac researchers. A lot of studies are showing no damage, or only small changes or symptoms, but generally no statistically significant change in serology or biopsy. I can't find the studies that I'd read before, though. If I come across them again, I'll post them.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I've been eating oats since the beginning of gluten-free oats several years ago. Here is what I was told. Do not eat oats for at least a year after going gluten-free. Give your body a chance to heal itself.If you are super sensitive do NOT eat oats....

The next advice was to take it very slowly when starting to add oats to your gluten-free diet. 1/2 cup per serving maybe a couple times a week at first. After over two years I still only eat 1/2 cup dry oats cooked in 1 cup water until liquid is asborbed sveral times a week. This will most likely make a change in your bowel movements because of the added roughage from the oats.So GO SLOWLY.

I believe there are four gluten-free oat companies now... Only oats, gluten free oats ,Powell Wy,

Cream Hill Estates, & Bob's Red MIll gluten-free oats.

I react to some of Bob's products so I don't eat those ones.

hth

mamaw