This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foudn A Gluten-free Vodka

Krysten

Krysten Newbie

Foudn a cheaper gluten-free vodka called Spudka. I e-mailed the compnay and they wrote:" Spudka is made with Idaho

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'll have to look for this stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

tom Contributor
Also it's smooth and I actually liked the taste a bit more than Chopin my usual go-to. And it's cheaper, too!

That's a win-win-WIN endorsement!!

I don't drink much anymore but will DEFinitely look for it next time I'm vodka shopping. :)

sjuhawks Newbie

I was told by my nutritionist all vodka is gluten free, because the distilling process eliminates the gluten. Has anyone else been told this?

Jay

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I also had heard that all distilled alcohol is gluten free. I don't drink much so I don't have any first hand info. I vaguely remember comments here about flavors and/or colors and to some products post-distillation.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I bought potato vodka last time I was at the state store but then I read on here that all vodkas were safe through the distallation process.

Rivergirl Apprentice

Alcohol, specifically vodka and gin, was one of the first things I looked into after finding out I had Celiacs. Both are gluten free (compliments of the distilling process). I then confirmed it with our very good friends who so happen to partially own and operate Distilled Resources, Inc. (Drinc), a vodka distillery in S.E Idaho. They assured me alcohol is gluten free. I still see mixed information on Scotch, so just to be safe I stay away for now. By the way DRInc distills some incredible Vodkas: Glacier Vodka, Purple Haze (the Jimmy Hendricks Label), Blue Ice (my absolute favorite potato vodka), Hideous, Ecstasy, to name a few.

Cheers.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

in short: yes, distilled alcohols that haven't had anything added back after the distillation process are gluten free. some people prefer to not use grain based alcohols anyway.

in long: well, we've had that discussion a number of times, and while I encourage you to search on it and read the threads on the board about it, I think I'll leave the long of it alone. :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was told by my nutritionist all vodka is gluten free, because the distilling process eliminates the gluten. Has anyone else been told this?

Jay

Many celiacs can tolerate gluten grain distilled alcohols and vinagers but many can not. The only way to know if you can or not is to challenge the alcohol when you are totally symptom free. There are some celiac organizations that do not agree that distilled grains are safe, the Celiac Sprue Association is one.

Open Original Shared Link

Alcoholic Beverages

FOUNDATION STAGE:

Wine and brandies without preservatives and added dyes; potato vodka; most rums and tequila.

EXPANDING STAGE:

Distilled liquors known to be from wheat, barley or rye are categorized as

Tim-n-VA Contributor
Many celiacs can tolerate gluten grain distilled alcohols and vinagers but many can not. The only way to know if you can or not is to challenge the alcohol when you are totally symptom free. There are some celiac organizations that do not agree that distilled grains are safe, the Celiac Sprue Association is one.

I didn't interpret their statement that as there being gluten in distilled alcohol. It is more an acknowledgement of the choices we all have to make. It seems to me to be more an analogy to the decision about foods not containing gluten but made in a factory where wheat is used for other products.

Rivergirl Apprentice

I did a little more checking and found a pretty cool website listed below. It details some very interesting information on all types of alcohol (including vodka) and I learned some concerning things on one of my favorite hobbies, wine.

I included the list of Potato vodkas that are recommended on this website ( Blue Ice, Teton Glacier, and Zodiac all distilled down the road from where I live by my good friends).

Hope you find the website helpful, I sure did.

Open Original Shared Link

Vodka made from potatoes, tends to have a smoother taste, than vodka made from grains. Always check with the manufacturer, most

vodkas are made with grain. The ones listed below are made with potatoes.

Adamba

Blue Ice

Chopin

Cold River Vodka

Ciroc - Made from French Grapes

Jankill

Jinro Soju - Not really vodka, but very similar. This company has other G.F. Items also

Kamachatka

Luksusowa

Monopolowa

Nisskosher Polish

Peconika

Teton Glacier

Victory

Zodiac

Archived