This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Vsl3 Unflavored Gluten Free?

Rob.

Rob. Newbie

Hey guys,

I done a search on this forum and its come up with some good threads on this subject but they lack clarity due to there being a few types of vsl3 so with luck someone here will know, I've also sent a fair few emails to the producers so with luck I'll have confirmations soon.

My quandary is that VSL3 flavored contains maltose potentially giving rise to its gluten trace status. However the unflavored version is rarely mentioned, or commonly confused with the flavored one so few grounded statements can be found on it. Unflavored vsl3 does not contain maltose but does it still contain gluten through the manufacturing process of the lactic acid bacteria, or through contamination?

If someone can clear it up for me I'd be very grateful. I'm also looking into theralac as a truly gluten free alternative.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, there are so many!

*edit* If anyone can recommend a certified gluten free probiotics of high strength please do, cheers guys

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Back when I started VSL#3 I called and they told me it was gluten-free (any variety). I remember someone here from the UK calling and they told him it had gluten. I don't know why they told him that.

Theralac is good, too, but it only has 20 billion organisms (which is a lot) compared to 450 billion in the VSL#3.

Nancym Enthusiast

Read this and see if it helps:

Open Original Shared Link

Rob. Newbie

Well as it transpires the flavored version contains traces of gluten, though its one on those doesn't/does it/no one wants to pay to prove it! scenarios. I had heard that the flavored version is 11 parts in a million gluten.

That phone call is intriguing, I imagine the uk distributer of vsl3 may well say that it contains gluten, however they don't seem to sell the unflavored version which doesn't contain maltose, so from their point of view it all contains gluten.

I'm awaiting on email replies from the makers of vsl3 so with luck they can clear it up, though if theralac proves to be truly gluten free I'll take that instead, the lower level of bacteria is less of an issue as I have an overgrowth in the small bowel. Which I believe is much easier to help which probiotics being much further up the digestive tract.

I may well start up a thread on small bowel overgrowth, not sure which section that'd go in though?

nmw Newbie

I never got any reply to any of my numerous inquiries to the maker of VSL3. I was hesitant to take it even though my GI (see: thefooddoc in NancyM's post above) prescribed it for me. I am still amazed that manufacturers will just blow off inquiries, made both by phone and email.

I never did start the VSL3 and take a regular commercially available probiotic - Solgar - instead.

Rob. Newbie

oh sorry nancy, didn't see your post! that page makes for some great reading, that bit on celiac nerve damage is worrying though! must admit my balance has been poor recently, anyhow

The good doctors page does promote the idea of the unflavored version being safe, its not likely that gluten comes into the creative phase of the bacteria is it? otherwise assuming it uncontaminated all should be well.

Rob. Newbie

I'm looking for an alternative too the vsl3 and found this

But it lists 'Fos' as an ingredient, as do lots of the probiotics, but what worries me is that wikipedia lists a potential ingredient to be wheat/barley. I think I may stick with the unflavored vsl3, after all the searching i've done this morning its the best option. they're aren't many good probiotics available in the uk

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
I may well start up a thread on small bowel overgrowth, not sure which section that'd go in though?

You might even do a search as I know there are a couple semi-recent threads on it.

I had this problem. I had great luck with oregano oil, uva ursi, and plant tannins along with Theralac, Ultra Flora and VSL#3.

I also had very good luck with Humaworm (www.humaworm.com), which despite the name, is good for bacterial overgrowth of the intestines. It just so happens that I also had a tapeworm! I didn't know it when I started the product, but I sure felt better once I got rid of it!

Rob. Newbie

Some great suggestions there, the humaworm looks like the one I shall try first.

oh and carla, how did the vsl 3 go down with you? I'm wondering if I have some oversensitivity in the gut as I tend to feel pretty rough when I take the recommended dose, at the moment i'm taking about a 1/4 of a packet daily. funnily enough the capsule version went down easier.

I shall do that search

CarlaB Enthusiast

Rob, as it ends up, I do not have celiac disease. I used to be very gluten intolerant, and the VSL#3 was fine for me even then. Here is an interesting PubMed article. Open Original Shared Link

VSL#3 is very strong! If you have any kind of candida overgrowth, it might cause some discomfort. I have no trouble at all with a whole packet per day now. In fact, since my leaky gut seems to be healed, I'm weaning off it. I'm down to a couple times per week. However, I took it daily for months. I know others who had to ramp up to the full dose.

I am getting ready for my second round of Humaworm! You can read the ingredients in it and if you are sensitive to any of them, they will leave that particular ingredient out as they hand make every batch.

Rob. Newbie

hand made? woah thats impressive. I may ask them to leave out there herbal laxative ingredient, unless the herbs cause constipation its not something I need!

in actual fact I may well have a similar to issue to yourself, I never got a diagnosis of coeliacs, though am very gluten intolerant. however I did get major lactose intolerance whilst at the high of my gluten related symptoms, not sure if thats really possibly without coeliacs but you never know!

i've just bought that book on fixing intestines through diet (or something like that), should be good fun, is it odd that I enjoy implementing these irregular diets?

Just have to say, this forum is quality!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yeah, it's a little odd :lol: But it's not odd to want to feel good. ;)

Rob. Newbie

Carla you seem to know alot about yeast/bacteria overgrowth, do you know if grastritis comes into it? just I have that fairly bad. I assume its caused by the toxins the bacteria are giving off, would be nice to get some advice from someone with some real experience of it.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I had these symptoms -- weight loss, pain after eating (severe), diarrhea (constant), loss of appetite .... and I needed to consume a LOT of calories to maintain my weight. I resorted to smoothies and high calorie foods.

I also have Lyme Disease and many of these symptoms could be attributed to Bartonella (a coinfection), but they all seemed to clear when I did the Humaworm, VSL#3, Theralac, and Ultra Flora treatment.

Now, my stomach is completely normal ... no more diarrhea or pain. I decided that since the Humaworm effects were so dramatic, that I might have had a problem big enough to warrant a second treatment. It's been almost the 90 days they recommend before a second treatment, and though I'm still "regular", I am noticing a little gurgling in my gut and a little more gassiness, so I'm looking forward to treating again.

I feel that I have fixed my leaky gut, that it's totally healed. I am healthy again on all levels. :) (Well, except for my current bug that my family is passing around, LOL).

CarlaB Enthusiast

duplicate post

Misa Rookie

Hello

I recently received the VSL#3 unflavoured kind which I ordered from the UK. And was disappointed to see that it had a warning on both the box and individual sachets which I hadn't noticed when I placed the order: 'Warning: this product contains traces of gluten, soy, lactose and skimmed dehydrated milk.' They have basically put traces of ALL the most common allergens in one product! To me this is unbelieveable as many people who need such megadoses of probiotics have very sick digestive systems and most probably suffer with multiple allergies......such as myself.

So YES, VSL#3 DOES CONTAIN GLUTEN

FYI in case there are several manufactureres of VSL#3 out there. The manufacturer on my VSL#3 is: S.I.I.T srl, Italy.

CarlaB Enthusiast

That is exactly what someone else from Europe said .... but when I called in the US several months ago, they assured me that here it was gluten-free.

Rob. Newbie

I have a statement from "Danisco Cultures" stating that its gluten free, I best check who makes the product I have.

However the American FDA classification lists anything as being below 20parts per million as coeliac safe-gluten free. so it may well still contain traces, though i'm not that sensitive a coeliac, so I think i'm getting away with it, though I did take vsl3 since onset so its hard to be sure

Searching Newbie

duplicate post

[/quote

I'm new to this group... My GI dr. thought I should try VSL#3. He thinks, among other things, I probably have visceral hypersensitivity. I sarted taking VLS#3 capsules recently. I've been taking 2 capsules since mid-Jan and last week increased it to 3 per day. I haven't noticed any benefits yet. Should I try taking 1 package a day instead or should I give the capsules some time? In the past, I've tried Orthobiotics, Garden of Life probiotics, Enzymatic probiotics, etc. without any results.

My body has been very sensitive to almost all foods and even supplements for many years...it increased in the last year or so. The only thing I seem to be able to eat is white rice, potatoes, eggplants and omlettes (not boiled eggs). Everyting either causes gas and/or acid reflux...This also leads to abdominal and low back pain. I've been diagnosed with gastritis and endoscopy showed irritation of the stomach lining. I've tried so many alternative treatments as well. Recently, stool tests, ordered by an acupuncturist, showed Enterobacter Species and Iodamoeba Butschlii. She gave me something called "Biocidin liquid" to treat it. You're supposed to work up to 15 drops a day, but I'm having problem with just one drop, diulted. It increased heartburn and gas.

I've tried many different enzymes as well. Either I can't always tell the difference or they end up causing side effects.

Any inputs from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Manisha

CarlaB Enthusiast

Manisha -- some products I have used that you might research are Humaworm, oregano oil, plant tannins, and uva ursi.

It took a long time for me to heal my gut .... I had many months where I could not eat much without pain and diarrhea.

I should mention, Garden of Life Primal Defense is NOT gluten-free.

Searching Newbie
Manisha -- some products I have used that you might research are Humaworm, oregano oil, plant tannins, and uva ursi.

It took a long time for me to heal my gut .... I had many months where I could not eat much without pain and diarrhea.

I should mention, Garden of Life Primal Defense is NOT gluten-free.

CarlaB, Thanks for your reply. Oregano oil is too strong and I haven't heard of the others. My concern is whether I'd be able to take any of them without nasty side effects. I'll mention the others to the acupuncturist I'll see tomorrow.

I haven't taken Garden of Life probiotics in year or so. I'm still wondering if I should switch to VSL3 in powder form rather than capsules. Does anyone know how long I'd have to take capsules to see any results?

Manisha

Archived