Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missy'smom

gluten-free Meds

Had to get meds last night for a sinus infecton. First time since gluten-free. I've managed to ward it off for a long time but know I need some help this time. It's so frustrating to have to worry about whether or not our meds are going to make us sick and I know there are some who have a much worse time of it than I do. I've reacted to some antibiotics in the past so I worry about that in addition to gluten. And also so frustrating to have to figure it out ourselves. I was really tired yesterday evening and had the Dr. asking which med I wanted to take(because of previous reactions). I don't know! You're the doctor! Then pharmacist said(as I expected) "I have no idea if the meds are gluten-free. Here are the ingedients. I don't see any wheat. They would surely list wheat if it was in there wouldn't they?" So home I went and thanks to those who have posted gluten-free drug lists, I was able to find a brand name that is gluten-free but had to go back to pharmacy this am and pay more and also delay treatment by one more day. ARRRRRGGGG!!!!

BTW I'm taking z-pack by Pfizer and hoping I won't have any bad side effects or reaction.

Thanks for listening. Anywhere or anyone else and it would fall on deaf ears.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You poor thing--I can relate to every word :(

Between being sick, allergies to some meds, side effects and gluten content--it all gets to be too much sometimes. I hope the Z-Pack works well for you--it's one of the 2 antibiotics that I can still tolerate, and the name brand is definately gluten-free.

My doctor had a tip that I use since I tend to get some stomach upset with it. She suggested separating the first dose and taking each pill with food. I do that, and have almost no side effects at all from it.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

You poor thing--I can relate to every word :(

Between being sick, allergies to some meds, side effects and gluten content--it all gets to be too much sometimes. I hope the Z-Pack works well for you--it's one of the 2 antibiotics that I can still tolerate, and the name brand is definately gluten-free.

My doctor had a tip that I use since I tend to get some stomach upset with it. She suggested separating the first dose and taking each pill with food. I do that, and have almost no side effects at all from it.

Thank you jerseyangel. It is a relief to know that you tolerate this well. I was thinking about separating the two. Glad to know that you Dr. OK'd it. How many hours apart did you take them?

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Thank you jerseyangel. It is a relief to know that you tolerate this well. I was thinking about separating the two. Glad to know that you Dr. OK'd it. How many hours apart did you take them?

I took one with lunch and the other with dinner. Maybe 5-6 hours? Then on the rest of the days, I took it with dinner (my biggest meal) I always do it that way since she suggested it, and it's worked out fine.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Thank you so much. My stress level has gone down quite a few notches. Here's a HUG for you.

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter