Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ptkds

What Could This Be?

I have been sick for the last couple of days from what a think is gluten. I am not so sure now. I have had HORRIBLE, watery diarrhea (it is so bad that I am sore in that area B) ). But the worst symptom is I keep getting these horrible pains in my upper abdomen. They feel like really horrible cramps. They come and go, and I am usually doubled over in pain when it happens, and they come every few minutes. I can't take this much longer. Do you guys think this is from gluten?? Or could it be something else? None of my kids are sick, and we have all eaten the same things I think!

Thanks for your opinions!

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had a HORRIBLE stomach bug about 4 weeks ago that consisted of pains like you're describing. Eventually my whole family got it. It was really nasty and I was much sicker than anyone else. It also manifested differently in each of us.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Join eNewsletter

that sounds like a typical glutening for me, but you might want to see the doc to be sure. and make sure you are drinking enough fluids because of the D. good luck, hope you feel better :( I get awful pain from gluten, it's trapped gas in my case. but severe abdominal pain can definitely be a cause for concern...like I said, see the doc, though they may not be our favorite people :lol:

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

Those were some of my pre-diagnosis symptoms. Are you taking any new meds or vitamins? Can you think of something that you repeatedly ingest? Is there any cross contamination from kids, animals, work or home? Could it be from something previously known to be safe and perhaps reformulated? Run through your own checklist.

But, then on the other hands, we do have to remember that all roads don't lead to gluten, so maybe it's a stomach bug :blink:

Try some antacids and maybe that might help with the cramping. and lots of water. I hope it passes quickly.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

I have been sick for the last couple of days from what a think is gluten. I am not so sure now. I have had HORRIBLE, watery diarrhea (it is so bad that I am sore in that area B) ). But the worst symptom is I keep getting these horrible pains in my upper abdomen. They feel like really horrible cramps. They come and go, and I am usually doubled over in pain when it happens, and they come every few minutes. I can't take this much longer. Do you guys think this is from gluten?? Or could it be something else? None of my kids are sick, and we have all eaten the same things I think!

Thanks for your opinions!

If it continues or gets worse you should call your doctor or go to the ER. It could be a lot of different things, including of course gluten. I hope that your either feeling better or you have gotten some help by now.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter