This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had An Awakening Today

confused

confused Community Regular

Well earlier i was sitting in the Er waiting room and just looking at everyone that was there, some had strokes, one guy had an brain anyerisium and just a whole bunch of other ailments in there.

The last few days i was starting to feel sorry for myself wtih all my food restrictions and asked myself why me, Why am i going threw all of this. Even today when my parents were here, my mom was having an milkshake and i was crying cause i cant ever have one again. Well not one with real ice cream.

But now i sit here and think, i have life so much better then all of those people in the Er tonight. It was like a sign telling me how lucky i was for having things i can control with diet

Whenever i start to feel sorry for myself im going to think about this day at the Er and i know how lucky i am. Im not sure exactly were i was going with this, but just wanted to share.

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Paula,

I had a moment like that today myself. I was down--a combination of the flu and just one of those days.

My husband told me that today, one of his guys at work got a call--the man's wife was found still in bed this afternoon by some family members--she was dead. She's not that much older than I am.

We haven't heard anything further yet--this just happened this afternoon. After hearing about something like this, my little illness, in the great scheme of things, isn't all that important.

I'm grateful to be here, safe at home with my family.

BTW--what are you doing in the ER? Everything ok?

missy'smom Collaborator

I understand where you're coming from. I can't have dairy either. It's hard. We have a potluck coming up at church this weekend and it's so hard to find something that's Gluten-free Casein-free to bring. I have some good recipies but they're the same things that I eat all the time. I end up eating the same old food and not really socializing and spend most of my time running the kitchen. I am there to serve but at these times I can't help feeling the way I do. Anyway, when I'm feeling like this I remind myself where I was at a year ago and have to be greatful that I'm able to be busy enough to be tired, for the most part, from that and not from gluten and celiac disease.

Hi Paula,

I had a moment like that today myself. I was down--a combination of the flu and just one of those days.

My husband told me that today, one of his guys at work got a call--the man's wife was found still in bed this afternoon by some family members--she was dead. She's not that much older than I am.

We haven't heard anything further yet--this just happened this afternoon. After hearing about something like this, my little illness, in the great scheme of things, isn't all that important.

I'm grateful to be here, safe at home with my family.

BTW--what are you doing in the ER? Everything ok?

Omg how scary patti, i feel so bad for the husband. Do they know if she had been sick or anything.

I had the flu last week and i think maybe that is what started the feeling sorry for myself.

Opps i never said why i was there. Well my 3 yr old decided to cut part of her finger off with the dog food can. She was bleeding everywhere and i freaked and we rushed her to the Er. Luckily all they had to do was glue it but it took 2 hours with all the emergencies.

But on the good note, last year when my kids would get hurt i would never take them, hubby would always take them, this is like the first time i have been well enough to be be there with one of the kids and im thankful for that.

paula

jerseyangel Proficient

Paula,

I'm glad your daughter is ok. It can be so scary when a little one is bleeding and you can't tell how serious it is. I know that feeling of being grateful just to be able to be there with her--it's times like this that we can take a step back and see that we really have made some progress.

Some days, of course, it doesn't seem quite fast enough :D

Take care :)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Paula,

Dont worry I have been there soo many times. A lot of times it has nothing to do with the celiac and more of the work things going on or when things have not been so well in our marriage. The one thing that helps me is thinking about how worse off I can be. Hope you feel better soon.

Hope your daughters finger is better too.

Amanda

Nina12488 Rookie

I know exactly what you mean, I had a friend who died two months ago from cancer. But she was one of the most beauitful, inspiring people you would ever meet. She would be in the hospital undergoing chemo sending me care packages of gluten free food! And I would call her and be like thank you so much but really focus on yourself! Let me send you care packages! And she would always protest and start to tell me the new gluten free thing she found.. so in the grand scheme of things, having to pass on cookies isn't so bad. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Paula,

I'm glad your daughter is ok. It can be so scary when a little one is bleeding and you can't tell how serious it is. I know that feeling of being grateful just to be able to be there with her--it's times like this that we can take a step back and see that we really have made some progress.

Some days, of course, it doesn't seem quite fast enough :D

Take care :)

Thank you, i was so scared just seeing all the blood that was coming out of her hand. and of course she is as calm as can be just looking at me, im like we have to go to the doctor and she is like no i want to go to the grocery store lol. Her pain tolerance is so much like mine i guess. Everyone at the Er was so amazed at her and they callled her a little pumpkin lol.

Nope they dont seem fast enough, but i guess we have to look at the progress we have made. Or think how bad off we would be if we still didnt know we had celiac. Then we could be some of those people in the Er that i seen.

paula

I know exactly what you mean, I had a friend who died two months ago from cancer. But she was one of the most beauitful, inspiring people you would ever meet. She would be in the hospital undergoing chemo sending me care packages of gluten free food! And I would call her and be like thank you so much but really focus on yourself! Let me send you care packages! And she would always protest and start to tell me the new gluten free thing she found.. so in the grand scheme of things, having to pass on cookies isn't so bad. :)

She sounds like an wonderful and caring person and you wre lucky to have her in your life. Im so sorry she passed away. Yep i guess giving up cookies is not an bad thing after all, at least we are still alive and getting better all the time.

paula.

I understand where you're coming from. I can't have dairy either. It's hard. We have a potluck coming up at church this weekend and it's so hard to find something that's Gluten-free Casein-free to bring. I have some good recipies but they're the same things that I eat all the time. I end up eating the same old food and not really socializing and spend most of my time running the kitchen. I am there to serve but at these times I can't help feeling the way I do. Anyway, when I'm feeling like this I remind myself where I was at a year ago and have to be greatful that I'm able to be busy enough to be tired, for the most part, from that and not from gluten and celiac disease.

Oh i know how you feel, when i had to serve lasagna a couple of weeks ago at a banguet, i was just standing there and looking at it, but thank goodness it was the frozen type that i dont like, so it wasnt as bas as it would have been if it was homemade lol.

My poor kids last night asked me if i was going to let them have real cake for their birthdays this year. One kid turns 8 and one 5 in a 4 day span and i told them of course as long as its not chocolate and im tempted to have some lol.

paula

Archived