This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flu And Bladder/kidney Infections After Multiple Cc's

YoloGx

YoloGx Rookie

Have other people here gotten the flu and then a bladder infection and sensitivity in the kidneys after multiple inadvertent cross contaminations? Or some other serious infection or illness as a result of CC?

It seems my body is so very much more reactive now that I have been avoiding all trace glutens that I can since I discovered I needed to in December. My joints finally stopped aching so it was way worth it. However I first got CC'd in January kissing my then boyfriend after he drank whiskey. This happened 3 different weekends and I was sick afterwards each time with achey joints and headaches and shooting D. At first I just couldn't figure it out as to what the problem was.

Then I got the bronchitis and after almost 3 weeks it became a bladder infection. I used all my herbs that have worked for me for the past 30 years (after I almost died from chronic pyelonephritis brought on by undiagnosed celiac and allergy to citrus--which I did figure out at least in part soon after that time 35 years ago) and still could not route it this time.

Finally now am taking Antibiotics. That along with the herbs and avoidance of meat and much carbs. is really helping although I am extremely tired and have been sleeping quite a lot.

Not being able to eat much can't be helping my energy level however I can't tolerate eating very much at all. Am subsisting now on salads with this bladder infection and a little yogurt and potato with some sunflower seeds and applesauce and sometimes a banana and lots of cranberry juice and water.

It definitely makes me wary of eating out ever again even to get tea. Any advice on any of this? Anybody else so reactive that they get seriously ill besides just the headaches and muscular achiness and shooting D from CC?

I hadn't had even a sniffle for nearly the last 2 years after taking the co-enzyme B vitamins and of course avoiding gluten overall and was exercising regularly (despite previously getting sick with bronchitis etc. quite frequently).

I have been ill now for nearly a month. Any input on this would be appreciated. This just really is unacceptable.

Yolo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gwen B Rookie
Have other people here gotten the flu and then a bladder infection and sensitivity in the kidneys after multiple inadvertent cross contaminations? Or some other serious infection or illness as a result of CC?

It seems my body is so very much more reactive now that I have been avoiding all trace glutens that I can since I discovered I needed to in December. My joints finally stopped aching so it was way worth it. However I first got CC'd in January kissing my then boyfriend after he drank whiskey. This happened 3 different weekends and I was sick afterwards each time with achey joints and headaches and shooting D. At first I just couldn't figure it out as to what the problem was.

Then I got the bronchitis and after almost 3 weeks it became a bladder infection. I used all my herbs that have worked for me for the past 30 years (after I almost died from chronic pyelonephritis brought on by undiagnosed celiac and allergy to citrus--which I did figure out at least in part soon after that time 35 years ago) and still could not route it this time.

Finally now am taking Antibiotics. That along with the herbs and avoidance of meat and much carbs. is really helping although I am extremely tired and have been sleeping quite a lot.

Not being able to eat much can't be helping my energy level however I can't tolerate eating very much at all. Am subsisting now on salads with this bladder infection and a little yogurt and potato with some sunflower seeds and applesauce and sometimes a banana and lots of cranberry juice and water.

It definitely makes me wary of eating out ever again even to get tea. Any advice on any of this? Anybody else so reactive that they get seriously ill besides just the headaches and muscular achiness and shooting D from CC?

I hadn't had even a sniffle for nearly the last 2 years after taking the co-enzyme B vitamins and of course avoiding gluten overall and was exercising regularly (despite previously getting sick with bronchitis etc. quite frequently).

I have been ill now for nearly a month. Any input on this would be appreciated. This just really is unacceptable.

Yolo

Sorry to hear you're so unwell. :( I can't offer much personal experience but I see your posts regularly and appreciate all your advice.

The yogurt might not work so well while you're sick so you might want to take some probiotics to replace those that are desroyed by the antibiotics. If you can get Kombucha it's very soothing but 'Now' also do gluten-free, CF etc probiotics which will help digestive recovery.

My mother went to an acupuncturist when her bladder infection would not get better after antibiotics. She also got sick after cc at a restaurant and then went down with a chest infection followed by UTI. She said the needles did not hurt and she was also given some chinese herbs to take as a drink for the week following the acupunture. She felt better straight away, pain subsided, and the infection cleared up and stayed away (prior to that she had problems with UTI's recurring with every subsequent illness, poss cc) within a couple of days.

Hope this helps, get well soon.

Gwen

YoloGx Rookie
Sorry to hear you're so unwell. :( I can't offer much personal experience but I see your posts regularly and appreciate all your advice.

The yogurt might not work so well while you're sick so you might want to take some probiotics to replace those that are desroyed by the antibiotics. If you can get Kombucha it's very soothing but 'Now' also do gluten-free, CF etc probiotics which will help digestive recovery.

My mother went to an acupuncturist when her bladder infection would not get better after antibiotics. She also got sick after cc at a restaurant and then went down with a chest infection followed by UTI. She said the needles did not hurt and she was also given some chinese herbs to take as a drink for the week following the acupunture. She felt better straight away, pain subsided, and the infection cleared up and stayed away (prior to that she had problems with UTI's recurring with every subsequent illness, poss cc) within a couple of days.

Hope this helps, get well soon.

Gwen

Thanks Gwen! It sounds like good advice. Its interesting your mother went through almost the same thing. Fortunately today I woke up feeling so much better! The antibiotics are kicking in and my continued use of Western herbs for UTI are helping the antibiotics along at last. Its so strange to get a bacterial infection since normally I just don't but here it is! I just got too stressed out and not enough sleep and it took its toll.

Interestingly the yogurt and raw vegetables seems to be right for me now whereas for the first 3 weeks with the bronchitis it wasn't--whereas chicken vegetable soup was. Now I can't eat any meat (very unlike usual), but I can eat the yogurt and salads (no vinegar or lemon however). I found too I can now eat some more carbohydrate so I won't actually starve and shrivle up as I feared. Whenever I eat the wrong thing I immediately get cold and congested interestingly enough--and very tired plus my bladder hurts and my kidneys sympathize.

I do have some pro-biotics I need to start taking too. I kind of went off most of my supplements while ill this last week in particular due to not knowing what worked to take in now and what not. I can have some soy so I believe Jaro-dophilus is OK for me (though I don't eat soy other wise normally).

The acupuncture sounds like it might nevertheless be a good idea for me in the near future from what you say to help deal with such a sensitive system. I need to strengthen myself to be less vulnerable to the dangers of CC or whatever. Though maybe Tai Chi would do the same? Probably my kidney meridian is very weak.

Today I actually went out and enjoyed the early California spring sunshine this afternoon with a friend -- the first time I went out after a month of being indoors, mostly in bed. Of course I took a picnic lunch and my thermos of herb tea along to avoid possible CC at all.

Interestingly my date is discovering he feels better being off wheat these last 3 days. Slowly our influence grows...! And he loved the stevia sweetened teff/quinoa/yogurt/sunflower seed banana bread I made. I think I want to include some recipes in the book I am writing about herbs and celiac.

Gwen B Rookie
Thanks Gwen! It sounds like good advice. Its interesting your mother went through almost the same thing. Fortunately today I woke up feeling so much better! The antibiotics are kicking in and my continued use of Western herbs for UTI are helping the antibiotics along at last. Its so strange to get a bacterial infection since normally I just don't but here it is! I just got too stressed out and not enough sleep and it took its toll.

Interestingly the yogurt and raw vegetables seems to be right for me now whereas for the first 3 weeks with the bronchitis it wasn't--whereas chicken vegetable soup was. Now I can't eat any meat (very unlike usual), but I can eat the yogurt and salads (no vinegar or lemon however). I found too I can now eat some more carbohydrate so I won't actually starve and shrivle up as I feared. Whenever I eat the wrong thing I immediately get cold and congested interestingly enough--and very tired plus my bladder hurts and my kidneys sympathize.

I do have some pro-biotics I need to start taking too. I kind of went off most of my supplements while ill this last week in particular due to not knowing what worked to take in now and what not. I can have some soy so I believe Jaro-dophilus is OK for me (though I don't eat soy other wise normally).

The acupuncture sounds like it might nevertheless be a good idea for me in the near future from what you say to help deal with such a sensitive system. I need to strengthen myself to be less vulnerable to the dangers of CC or whatever. Though maybe Tai Chi would do the same? Probably my kidney meridian is very weak.

Today I actually went out and enjoyed the early California spring sunshine this afternoon with a friend -- the first time I went out after a month of being indoors, mostly in bed. Of course I took a picnic lunch and my thermos of herb tea along to avoid possible CC at all.

Interestingly my date is discovering he feels better being off wheat these last 3 days. Slowly our influence grows...! And he loved the stevia sweetened teff/quinoa/yogurt/sunflower seed banana bread I made. I think I want to include some recipes in the book I am writing about herbs and celiac.

Glad you're on the mend. :) The book sounds like a good idea, I much prefer books with recipes as well as information/advice! I don't know about Tai Chi, I do yoga (Bikram) and I know it's very healing but strenous too. I also tried BodyTalk and took a course on self practice which has a good though difficult to explain healing promotion. My daughter's painful sinus infection went immediately and the stuffiness did not return! If you get an opportunity to try Bodytalk it's quite easy to learn basic techniques which help self healing and balance body/mind so that you might prevent or mediate tendencies to fall ill. Good luck with the book.

Gwen.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Wow, yes. The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, though with a stomach bug (during which I got really dehydrated) then a UTI. And I would be willing to bet it was related to CCing as well. Feel better!

YoloGx Rookie
Glad you're on the mend. :) The book sounds like a good idea, I much prefer books with recipes as well as information/advice! I don't know about Tai Chi, I do yoga (Bikram) and I know it's very healing but strenous too. I also tried BodyTalk and took a course on self practice which has a good though difficult to explain healing promotion. My daughter's painful sinus infection went immediately and the stuffiness did not return! If you get an opportunity to try Bodytalk it's quite easy to learn basic techniques which help self healing and balance body/mind so that you might prevent or mediate tendencies to fall ill. Good luck with the book.

Gwen.

Thanks Gwen on the encouragement for the book! It seems like its time for me to do it finally after all these years of using herbs and diet. Celiac.com has really helped me put together some of the missing pieces. I just have to be more careful than ever not to get cc'd. And this idea of strengthening the immune system through energetics is interesting.

I do do Hatha yoga and other exercises like walking and when I am well, swimming. I plan to start again today after a hiatus while being ill. The walk yesterday was great. I think meditation also helps. I don't know about Bodytalk. I will look into it. It sounds interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
susieg-1 Apprentice

Yolo

I feel so bad for your situation. I think some carbs may be in order for the lack of energy. I realize you may be opposed to this but I have a family member using small amounts of marijuana for chemo therapy related nausea etc... and she finds it to be very helpful. I have not gotten so ill from cc that I know of but also found reaction to kissing fiance after he drank beer so now I always ask if he has had gluten before any contact, and I never eat out even at restaurants that claim gluten-free menu as I don't trust prep to be as stringent as my own kitchen. I am interested in more herbal remedies to help detox and read that you are very informed. any advice? hope you feel better very soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayBraMom Apprentice

Well, getting glutenend, may it be through a kiss or whatever is extremely hard on your body and the immunesystem. Specially after you've been glutenfree, you get more sensitive even to it because your body realizes that it felt good for the first time after not haviong gluten in it and now it won't even except tiny bits. Many people report a way lower tolerance to it after they went glutenfree. the kissing-part remined me of what shocked me when I read more aobut Celiac for my daughter. It siadf int he book that she'll have to ask her boyfriends later to brush their teeth first before kissing or she might get sick. May it be that the boyfriend had rootbeer before or he had a bagel that morning, things to get stuck between the teeth and for you it only takes traces! adn yesm, agasin you do get more sensitive, and yes I'm sure your crosscontaminations got you more vulneralbe and got you sick. for example! My little daughter, she is 17 month old, she's the celiac! We had her tested for foodallergies, she was mildly allergic to Milk and soy. not enough though that it would make her sick and the allergist said it's safe to give her those things if she tolerates them well. After many month of being off of gluten and her intestines healing, she did tolerate those awesome. then one day, she got accidentally glutened, drinking out of my sons Zippycup after he had 6 grainbread, my husband didn't pay attetnion. for 4 days, she'd brake out in "walking" hives(I call them that way because you'd see them popping up, vanishing and pop up some other bodypart) all over her body when ever she had anything with milk, soy or went out in to the sun. Besides not sleeping well at all because that what glutenend does to her brain, it messes with her sleep and with her stomach, she got itchy all over as well. As you can see, if your immunesystem gets ticked off it gets ticked off. I hope you feel better! Try drinking lots of Cranberry-Juice, I'm not sure if that falls under Citrus-issues you have, but Cranberryjuice is good with bladderinfections, you can get capsules as well!

Yolo

YoloGx Rookie
Well, getting glutenend, may it be through a kiss or whatever is extremely hard on your body and the immunesystem. Specially after you've been glutenfree, you get more sensitive even to it because your body realizes that it felt good for the first time after not haviong gluten in it and now it won't even except tiny bits. Many people report a way lower tolerance to it after they went glutenfree. the kissing-part remined me of what shocked me when I read more aobut Celiac for my daughter. It siadf int he book that she'll have to ask her boyfriends later to brush their teeth first before kissing or she might get sick. May it be that the boyfriend had rootbeer before or he had a bagel that morning, things to get stuck between the teeth and for you it only takes traces! adn yesm, agasin you do get more sensitive, and yes I'm sure your crosscontaminations got you more vulneralbe and got you sick. for example! My little daughter, she is 17 month old, she's the celiac! We had her tested for foodallergies, she was mildly allergic to Milk and soy. not enough though that it would make her sick and the allergist said it's safe to give her those things if she tolerates them well. After many month of being off of gluten and her intestines healing, she did tolerate those awesome. then one day, she got accidentally glutened, drinking out of my sons Zippycup after he had 6 grainbread, my husband didn't pay attetnion. for 4 days, she'd brake out in "walking" hives(I call them that way because you'd see them popping up, vanishing and pop up some other bodypart) all over her body when ever she had anything with milk, soy or went out in to the sun. Besides not sleeping well at all because that what glutenend does to her brain, it messes with her sleep and with her stomach, she got itchy all over as well. As you can see, if your immunesystem gets ticked off it gets ticked off. I hope you feel better! Try drinking lots of Cranberry-Juice, I'm not sure if that falls under Citrus-issues you have, but Cranberryjuice is good with bladderinfections, you can get capsules as well!

Oh wow, what book? Sounds like a good one!

Am so glad for your daughter to have such an aware mother! The kissing thing was pretty shocking for me too! I just had no idea. It makes me feel like I have to go around appearing more than a little paranoid. However its better than getting sick!

I too was dx'd as an infant (at 4 months old!) but at that time less was known about the condition, esp. here in the states. I was reintroduced to gluten at age 4. I guess I didn't get D at that time so they thought it was OK. Actually overall I never did. I was more constipated, though not horribly. It affected my nervous system the worst though I also got bad gumboils and terrible skin and was ill quite a lot. No one put 2 and 2 together despite my mother having a similar condition.

Thanks for the advice on the UTI. I drank tons of cranberry juice as it turns out plus lots of uva ursi, corn silk, dandelion etc.

Turns out though I had a bad bacterial infection. Probably started with the bronchitis. I had to take 2 courses of antibiotics after I got the UTI; I was ill altogether for 7 weeks! Am now recuperating at last thank heavens. After I finished the antibiotics I could hardly digest anything. However I started taking lots of probiotics and now am much better. Each day I do a bit more--and am at the same time trying to take it slow so I will have no more setbacks. Am going on walks again. Much shorter than in the past however I will get there. Am hoping to be back swimming sometime next week.

And definitely I will go to great lengths about the CC. I don't want to be such a pest with the toothbrush thing but it seems I must. Any guy that has a problem with that will have to go. I just can't believe how sensitive I am to the modern world but there it is.

The good news is that previous to all this I had not gotten sick for nearly 2 years, a first for me. The other good news is that I have no more achey joints! Which til I went off all occult glutens I still did have. Plus residual anxiety and lack of clear thinking overall seems to be gone.

Plus I lost at least 15 pounds and went down two dress sizes! I used to eat a lot to counteract low blood sugar--which I seem to no longer have either! I wasn't fat however I wasn't as thin as I would naturally be given how much I ate...So its good to be at what is probably more my natural weight if I eat without overeating.

Am still avoiding meat. I figure I will give it a try Monday.

Am finding too I really need to take some co-enzyme B vitamins before I go to bed or I don't sleep despite taking skullcap and valerian root for my so sensitive nervous system. Thought I might mention this for you and your child. She might need that too. Avoid sublinguals with sorbitol however since it tends to have gluten in it. I use Country Life co-enzyme B's on an empty stomach. They go directly into the blood stream. Often people with celiac have trouble making use of B vitamins--which can lead to worse intolerances since the B's are needed for basic carb and protein absorption amongst other things.

Good luck with your baby. Sounds like she is in good hands. And thanks again for responding to my query.

And oh, the other post mentioned something about detoxing and soothing herbs etc. I have made many posts here on celiac.com to that effect. Check it out! Esp. dandelion, burdock, marshmallow root etc.

shayesmom Rookie

For the bladder/kidney issues, we use D-Mannose. It's a supplement made from the compound in cranberries that fights the bacteria that causes UTIs. Generally speaking, you start feeling a difference within 20 minutes. The bladder infection is usually gone in one day (3 doses). You can also take it once a day as a preventative. It comes in a powder form so you can add it to water, juice, anything liquid. The bacteria that cause the infections bind to the molecules of the D-Mannose instead of the bladder wall and they get expelled. It truly is a must for the "natural" medicine cabinet. And the best part....no antibiotics are needed when you take D-Mannose.

The probiotics will help over time, but with bladder infections....I've found that it will take over a week for them to work.

Yolo

motif Contributor

it's really hard to believe that you got this symptoms because of kissing...

It had to be some other reason, unless your boyfriend is built with gluten :)

YoloGx Rookie
it's really hard to believe that you got this symptoms because of kissing...

It had to be some other reason, unless your boyfriend is built with gluten :)

I justs read in Jax Lowell's Gluten Free Bible that others react similarly if the guy or gal doesn't brush their teeth and floss with plain unwaxed dental floss. What they shower with and the lotion they use etc. matters too--since lovers like to kiss places besides just the mouth. Unbelievable but in my case it seems to be true. I have after all had celiac all my life since I was originally dx'd as a 4 month old infant. But back in those days they thought one outgrew it--and I was re-introduced to gluten at age 4. And was sickly and in the ozone every after until recently. Nevertheless I shure wasn't expecting to be so reactive!

I think what happened is I just got unlucky and got this nasty bacterial infection that was going around since I was tired out from D for two days and was driving around all day the next day, including taking my mother to the hospital for a check up, voting and then going to my writing class at night.

I didn't expect that it was bacterial since I rarely get bacterial infections plus I am allergic to most antibiotics and don't want to become allergic to the one I know of that works for me. However as it was I ended up having to take 2 courses of the antibiotics...!!

Have been dosing up on probiotics and am finally on the real mend. Can finally eat meat again. Couldn't for over a month due to UTI and sensitive kidneys. No more kissing unless the guy meets all my specs though. I guess he'll have to really like me and be pretty motivated... Its embarrassing but I just can't go through this again!

Candy Contributor

I know I had kidney pain and uterine pain when I ate a blend of wheat and wheat -free. And I am constantly tired.I don't have the kidney pain when I eat mostly wheat free. I'm OK with Citrus now, but I can never tell when this would start to irritate me. Like,for a while I could do milk, then for a while I couldn't (casein allergy celiacs have),then, after a while I could go back to milk again. I can eat almost everything,but at some point we develop an immunity to it for a few months,and then I can go back to eating it again.I've been gluten free for a few straight weeks,and I notice I have a flu like condition,or pneumonia like condition in my lungs. I'm not on any medication, and it's not severe now so I'll see where it leads to. My idea of gluten free is regular food that lacks large amounts of wheat like rice,oats,meat,fruit,veggies,popcorn-which I enjoyed a lot when I was in my 20's before I knew I had Celiac. But I know I was feeling ill before I got diagnosed through a genetic exam online.

Ivanna44 Apprentice

Yolo

Awww hugs Yolo,

Feel better soon I hope. I can't really answer in terms of getting "flu" like symptons and infections from CC's. This is all still to new to me. But I do hope you and your doctor, herbalist can work a good recovery plan for you.

hugs :)

YoloGx Rookie
Awww hugs Yolo,

Feel better soon I hope. I can't really answer in terms of getting "flu" like symptons and infections from CC's. This is all still to new to me. But I do hope you and your doctor, herbalist can work a good recovery plan for you.

hugs :)

Thanks for your concern Ivanna!

I seem to be well on the mend now. The antibiotics combined with my U.T.I. herbs and diet worked. Now I am working on regaining my strength going for walks here in the hills and taking some of my liver cleansing herbs etc. Hope to be strong enough soon to start swimming and using the sauna again at the Y.

When I get CC'd next time I plan to take it easy afterwards; not act like I can do twenty million things the next day. Plus take bromelain/papain and marshmallow root to counteract the inflammation and scar tissue. I guess in retrospect its just plain common sense.

Bea

Archived