Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dksart

My Eye Wont Stop Twitching!

Has this ever happened to any of you? I guess it's celiac related, I've gotten accidentally glutened a few times in the past month and am having many other side effects from it as well. (The last time was yesterday at P.F. Chang's.....we're not safe anywhere.)

I have always had a mild version of this, with my eye jumping or eyelid twitching, but it is now happening every day, all day long. At least once every hour and more. It is really bothering me and it's becoming more apparent. No one could notice when it happened before, but now it's almost causing my eyelid to close.

Does anyone know if this a pinched nerve or something else? Should I get it checked out? I don't have any insurance. This is starting to worry me.

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It really might just be a Magnesium deficiency. The same thing used to happen to me. You see, when I get glutened, I lose some of my electrolytes, creating a deficiency. It doesn't go away until the Magnesium is replaced. You could try some Magnesium rich foods or get a Megnesium supplement to see if it helps. Good luck.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

Join eNewsletter

LOL used to happen to me all the time! B)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

It's also a symptom of b12 deficiency. Have your doctor run a nutrient deficiency panel.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

Has this ever happened to any of you? I guess it's celiac related, I've gotten accidentally glutened a few times in the past month and am having many other side effects from it as well. (The last time was yesterday at P.F. Chang's.....we're not safe anywhere.)

I have always had a mild version of this, with my eye jumping or eyelid twitching, but it is now happening every day, all day long. At least once every hour and more. It is really bothering me and it's becoming more apparent. No one could notice when it happened before, but now it's almost causing my eyelid to close.

Does anyone know if this a pinched nerve or something else? Should I get it checked out? I don't have any insurance. This is starting to worry me.

The same thing happened to me, but I just got blood tests done for Celiac and they showed that I do NOT have it. Anyways, I agree with the B Deficiency as well as magnesium. I take a B Complex and Cal/Mag/Zinc vitamin every day now....my twitching has, for the most part, gone away.....

But I wonder why, if I don't have Celiac, I am deficient?!?

Join eNewsletter

It really might just be a Magnesium deficiency. The same thing used to happen to me. You see, when I get glutened, I lose some of my electrolytes, creating a deficiency. It doesn't go away until the Magnesium is replaced. You could try some Magnesium rich foods or get a Megnesium supplement to see if it helps. Good luck.

-Brian

I am not taking any magnesium suppliments, but I do try to eat foods containing it. I suppose from being glutened so many times, I'm not absorbing nutrients as well as I should.

Any suggestions?

It's also a symptom of b12 deficiency. Have your doctor run a nutrient deficiency panel.

I just started taking b12 because of my energy level etc.

Plus, I don't have a doctor.

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

This happens to me too. BUT it hasn't happened once since not eating gluten!!!!

There were episodes it was so bad my eye barely would stay open too.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

This happens to me too. BUT it hasn't happened once since not eating gluten!!!!

There were episodes it was so bad my eye barely would stay open too.

Wow!!! I've only noticed it in the past six months, on and off, my bloody eye wouldn't STOP TWITCHING! It's not visible to tohers, but it's irritating as all get-out. I'll have to try supplementing with magnesium next time it happens, I already take extra B.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Do you have rosacea on your face? I found out through twitching that I had it in my eye and it was happening due to irritation. Sjogren's (Im not sure on the spelling was another option) was a possible option too but it ended up being ocular rosacea. It might not hurt to get it checked out and it never hurts to take extra b vitamins.

Join eNewsletter

i've experienced this off and on over the past couple years. it was really bad right before i went gluten-free, but i was also really stressed out. now it's been happening more frequently again, but i don't think i'm that stressed. i might have to try some B supplements. taking everything else. its so annoying though, i feel ya on that one!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Do you have rosacea on your face? I found out through twitching that I had it in my eye and it was happening due to irritation. Sjogren's (Im not sure on the spelling was another option) was a possible option too but it ended up being ocular rosacea. It might not hurt to get it checked out and it never hurts to take extra b vitamins.

Thanks, I do have rosacea. I've had it for many years, but it's not nearly as bad now as it used to be. I will have to do some research on ocular rosacea, though. I've never heard of that.

Live your life each day

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

Mine looks better on my face than it has in years so I was shocked to find out it went into my eyes.

I would see an opthalmologist to see if it is it and there are drops for about a week to put in. If left untreated it can lead to problems. If you do find out you have it, eyelid scrubs work wonders. I take burts bees baby soap and wash my eyelids with eyes closed twice a day and rinse thoroughly. It helps tremendously to keep breakouts down. I havent had a problem with it for quite a while due to my scrubs. Im sorry you dont have insurance, maybe they could set up a payment plan with you to pay off the visit?

Good luck in figuring out what it is :)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter