Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaye of PA

Protestant Communion?

A celiac woman in our church has already paved the way and has persuaded our church to have 2 types of bread (one of them gluten-free) for communion. But I have a concern:

The regular bread is served on a plate that is passed down the row from person to person. They now have attached a little bowl in the CENTER of the plate, which holds the gluten-free bread. I haven't yet asked, but I assume that my celiac friend brings the gluten-free bread in a baggy and hands it to the people arranging the plates. And these people (probably after handling the gluten bread) then put the gluten-free bread into the little bowl.

So the gluten-free bread is sitting in the center of gluten bread.

I worry that the chances for cross contamination are high. I also know that my celiac friend herself doesn't fully understand the gluten-free diet (she has told me that she shares a toaster with her gluten-eating husband, because it doesn't seem to bother her).

I hate to make a fuss, when people are making an effort to be helpful...but I'm uncomfortable all the same. Do you think the chances for cross contamination are high?

Gaye of PA

Newly diagnosed gluten intolerant in February 2008

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If its passed down the row, would it be easier/safer to just have a place in the church for gluten free bread? Before the service, those who need it can go and get it. When communion occurs, then you just keep passing the bread plate.

Also, people make take the gluten free bread and not leave enough for you. :)

If any of this concerns you, I would bring your own communion wafer/bread.

Join eNewsletter

I would be uncomfortable too. I am fortunate that my church is small enough that I bake the bread for the communion so it's gluten-free for everyone. When I bake it for the church I use all the eggs, milk etc. so that it has the best possible texture and flavor. I omit the flax seed. One loaf is more than enough for us. Usually we use a 1/2 loaf. I also bake it that am (we have an afternoon service) so that it is as fresh as possible. I also re-wash the serving plate before putting the bread on it.

I hope you can find a workable solution.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I have worked with two churches to serve gluten free communion. One does intinction and for that one they have a separate gluten free plate and cup for dipping the wafer. Also, where the tray is passed, a separate tray with wafers is brought to me and anyone else who wants gluten free.

That is a really good idea about baking the bread though! :)

Join eNewsletter

Sometimes when we have communion at church and I forget to bring my own unleavened gluten free bread, (which is often)---- I just skip the bread and drink the grape juice. God knows I can't eat wheat and I don't worry about it. :D

CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin

1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter