This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Celiac Belly

Emily Elizabeth

dermotron Newbie

Personally Ive found coffee to be the worst cause of coeliac belly. But as Ive only joined here today I am leaning towards dairy being the cause. When I have a herbal tea's for the day I tend not to suffer so much even if Ive had milk on my cereal (which Ive stopped having). Coffee is my weakness and I really dont like it without milk so Im gonna try soya milk from now on and cut out all other dairy (except for natural yogurt as this seems to have a good effect on my belly). Can anyone recommend a probiotic drink (I drink Yakult) that is dairy free as I think this would really help me test if being dairy free is the answer to my coeliac belly? I dont seem to suffer from other foods only those that are high in fat. High protein (fish and eggs) are fine as I counter with plenty of fruit during the day.

Regards

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Raven's Mum Newbie

I always thought Raven's belly was a CF belly, then I thought it was because of her enlarged liver and spleen, now with the celiac diagnosis, I think she's going to have her cute little belly regardless! lol It does seem to expand and contract more now though with the gluten free diet. Before she'd wake up skinny and be huge by the end of the night. Now she only looks bloated right after eating! lol

DownWithGluten Explorer

This thread is interesting. Me, my mom and sister are all very naturally thin. But I was always the one with the 'pooch' or the little mini 'potbelly' etc. It was never actual fat, just a poofy little stomach that got worse after eating (naturally).

I wonder now if it has to do with this whole gluten thing. I still have it though, lol, so maybe not. I did notice though that, back in the days when the gluten attacks were getting worse and worse (before I knew what it was)...my poofy little stomach would get almost angled or bent in the middle. Hard to explain, but like there was an angle to it across the middle, instead of being a round edge. Like a mini-shelf or something. When I'd feel my stomach have that weird 'angle' to it, I would always think "No, no, noooo" because I knew an attack was coming.

Lynayah Enthusiast
My guess is that at least 80% of Celiacs know exactly the "The Celiac Belly" is. As I read through this thread, I could relate to at least one thing in each of them!

If you have only been gluten-free for a few months, or for years and years, I would recommend looking into Digestive Enzymes and a Probiotic. I consider myself "healed", but I started to take a full spectrum enzyme before my larger meals, or a meal that is different than usual, and it has really made a world of difference. At work, I eat lunch, but then return right after to running around, bend, lifting, helping patients, etc. Pretty much everyday I was uncomfortable after my lunch, so I started taking the enzymes. I would say, it makes me feel about 70% better (which makes the afternoon so much more pleasant). It's worth looking into if you have similar problems.

I can also relate to the weekend thing, when as soon as you eat some weekend food (which usually isn't all that out of the ordinary), you have problems. I used to have this all the time, but have gotten a good hold on it. I usually have a crazy meal on Friday night, and then stick to whats normal for the rest of the weekend. My crazy meal is usually something like homemade gluten-free pizza. Wild, huh?

To ensure the health of your gut, especially if you have D, a probiotic is a must. Highly recommend looking into it! We can't avoid the Celiac belly, but we can take steps to calm it down. ; )

Heather xxx

Please, what brand of pro-biotic do you use? Thank you!

Lynayah Enthusiast
I eat 24 bil of probiotics a day and I am flat flat flat. Except when it's filled with dinner like right now lol :lol:

but it's cause I am about to burst I ate so much

be very well sweetie

What brand? Thanks!

Lynayah Enthusiast
I've been reading about this. There is a book called "Going Against the Grain". The author suggests that some people can't digest any kind of grains. You might want to look into it.

Thank you for this post. I've ordereed this book and am looking forward to reading it. Much appreciated!

pufffee Apprentice

Any men have this?

I read all this and it sounds good, but I am gluten-free(1 month) and DF(1 week) my belly is out of control. I have lost 10lbs and still have beer belly type of belly! I see almost 99% of posts here are women, not that it should matter, but are men experiencing this at all either. Does Magnesium really help? Any other suggestions, sugar and carbs are not my issue, I do not eat enough, all rice cables, eggs, water, multivitamins atc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

summerteeth Enthusiast
Any men have this?

I read all this and it sounds good, but I am gluten-free(1 month) and DF(1 week) my belly is out of control. I have lost 10lbs and still have beer belly type of belly! I see almost 99% of posts here are women, not that it should matter, but are men experiencing this at all either. Does Magnesium really help? Any other suggestions, sugar and carbs are not my issue, I do not eat enough, all rice cables, eggs, water, multivitamins atc.

Magnesium REALLY helped me. More than probiotics, actually. It took about two weeks for the magnesium to kick in, but once it did, there was marked difference in the size of my belly AND in my BMs (I have chronic constipation). I think it is worth a shot, but that is just my 2 cents :)

Swimmr Contributor

I've not posted all that much, but I used to REALLY suffer from having that stubborn swollen poochy belly. Don't know if it's the same as what you and others are experiencing, but I will offer my advice anyways.

When I started going gluten free, I also stopped lifting weights and working out, which probably wasn't the smartest thing, but I had to know when I was being glutened and get my body back in good working order.

I "tried" to go as gluten-free as possible when my mom found out she has Celiac about 3 years ago. Since then I've progressively gotten better and now am finally over my cravings and can say "no" to things. My belly was ALWAYS having problems being bloated and it made me extremely self conscious.

I find that drinking lots of water and a good exercise regimen has REALLY helped with that bloated-ness.

When I unknowingly get glutened, I always realize it within a few hours because my belly will be bloated. My fingers also swell...making my wedding ring tight. And it's a 1/2 size too big. When that happens I will usually drink more water than usual, keep my diet really clean for a few days...nothing more than plain foods and also will take an all-natural herbal water pill. It seems to help out alot.

I notice the worst bloating when I've eaten any bread-like (gluten free of course) foods and steaks of any kind. This morning I made gluten free belgian waffles...mmmm and ate TWO, but it was worth it!

I hope this helps :)

BTW I've been tested, it came back negative, but doctor said for better results I'd probably have to gluten myself and be tested again. I just got tested about 4 months ago, so I'm completely gluten free...except for the seldomly accidental glutenings. I plan to get a DNA test done before I plan to get pregnant.

Glamour Explorer

I suspect I have DH and have only been gluten free for about 12 days. I have a terrible body rash that has not gone away with any treatment for 2.5 years.

I had already started digestive enzymes and probiotics (good brand recommendations welcome). I take some vitamins.

I am also beginning to treat for candida and parasites. I have ready that all of these things relate to celiac disease and especially DH.

I figured my belly was due to fat and the fact that I have fibroids (which are linked to the above issues, leaky gut, etc. and hormone imbalance)

My stomach is already going down, but has a long way to go. I was loosing my butt while the stomach looked pregnant.

As for coffee, I can only do fresh organic, all others give problems. No colas or anything with too many ingredients like , coloring, flavoring, enhancers, MSG, preservatives, etc

As for beans, proper soaking and preparation. Brown Rice - no preprepared or converted, only fresh. I heard beano has gluten.

Trying to go organic when I can afford it, especially with dairy and meats, coffee. I also find lemon in hot or cold water helps with my acid balance.

I am new to all of this and I am sure there will be changes, but going gluten-free seemed one of the cheapest as I can't afford tests.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Has anyone noticed belly improvement after following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

still tiredofdoctors Rookie
Magnesium REALLY helped me. More than probiotics, actually. It took about two weeks for the magnesium to kick in, but once it did, there was marked difference in the size of my belly AND in my BMs (I have chronic constipation). I think it is worth a shot, but that is just my 2 cents :)

Because of several diseases I have, my MD (prescribed) -- although it is OTC -- Magnesium Taurate. The company that manufactures it has been able to incorporate the benefits of magnesium as well as taurine and compound it into an entirely NEW supplement.

I have found that it has really helped the bloating my upper (because of other issues) and lower abdomen encounter. If you would like more info, please let me know.

Please take care of yourself,

Lynne

Archived