This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened At The Gyno?

sansglutengrl

sansglutengrl Explorer

Is it me - or is it maybe the most frustrating thing about having celiac that when you do get sick - there's no way to tell how??? Or if it's actually gluten related?

I went to get a pelvic ultrasound today - the doctor just wanted it to check and make sure my ridiculously irregular periods are not caused by something bad - and now I feel like I've been glutened!! It was the test where they make you drink unbelievable amounts of water - anyone have this before? So now, I don't know if it's because I drank too much water - but I'm having big D. every hour or so with cramps, what the heck is this? I know that the gel that they use is gluten free - what could this possibly be from?

I had the stomach bug in December and it landed me in the hospital for IV fluids, I really hope I haven't somehow gotten it again....

Anyone have a similar experience, or have any ideas?

Thanks.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchygirl Newbie

Did they use a latex condom on the probe thingy? Lots of people are allergic to latex....I've had that test a bunch of times (I have big huge fibroids and they like to keep an eye on them) they have to make sure to use the non latex probe cover. That test is yucky.

neesee Apprentice

I think it could be all the water. At least for me it is. The last time I had one of these exams the diarrhea started before I even got to to office. I almost had to cancel. How do you keep a full bladder with diarrhea? :lol:

Celiac is a real pain sometimes.

neesee

Guest LittleMissAllergy

I know this might seem a little off topic, but I'm not getting a period at all, and I really want an appointment with a gyno (though she thinks I don't need to come in, that it's just food allergy and weight related), because like you, I want to make sure nothing weird is going on in there. Do you mind me asking what the exam was like? I've never had one and I think I should, but I'm really really nervous. It's okay if you don't want to share...but I just thought since someone brought it up...lol...

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I dont know, I have had loads of the pelvic u/s's lately without a problem. I did have a cat scan though last summer and I had to drink the chalky stuff. I was sure I was glutened :blink: I had diarrhea like crazy waiting for the test at the hospital in the er. When I questioned them about it they said "oh yeah, diarrhea is a common occurance with the chalky stuff" :angry: It would have been nice if they had warned me!

itchygirl Newbie

Many types of the chalky stuff have a sugar alcohol, I think sorbital, in it. That is great for giving you D. Back in the day I had to have a full abdominal MRI, which with the old slow machines took hours-and I had an accident in the machine. That was lovely :o

norcalballa23 Rookie

dang glad im a guy. :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchygirl Newbie

Wait till you have to have a prostate biopsy and get back to us on that ;)

Little Miss Allergy-there are a variety of tests they can do, some, like bloodwork to check your horomone levels are non invasive. The pelvic ultrasound is kind of invasive (that is putting it mildly) but not that bad-having to have a full bladder is the worst part.

neesee Apprentice

Wait till you have to have a prostate biopsy and get back to us on that ;)

Little Miss Allergy-there are a variety of tests they can do, some, like bloodwork to check your horomone levels are non invasive. The pelvic ultrasound is kind of invasive (that is putting it mildly) but not that bad-having to have a full bladder is the worst part.

A pelvic ultrasound isn't invasive at all, unless you also get a trans-vaginal one. For that one, your bladder needs to be empty.

psawyer Proficient

Hello again,

The large amount of water could cause the big D, especially if your digestive tract is still compromised. Water is absorbed in the intestines, and if it isn't absorbed then very loose stool will result. Sugar alcohols (things whose names end in -bitol) can also cause loose stool.

I haven't had this specific examination, but the stress associated with similar procedures which I have had can also lead to intestinal turbulence.

I don't know about the cramps, though. I never had that effect from GI tests.

I doubt that you were exposed to gluten by the procedure.

Let me know if I can be of additional help. You have my email address.

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Oh but you get all the lovely tests on your prostate :lol:

Honestly the pelvic u/s's dont bother me too bad usually, even transvaginal, but Im a mom and have had alot more drs down there than I care to remember so now it doesnt bother me at all :lol:

Sorbitol, ugh, I hate fake sugars.

sansglutengrl Explorer

Thanks everyone - I think it was just all the water, because I was able to eat dinner tonight and it "stayed put" :) It's just so frustrating to feel like that and not know why.

Little Miss Allergy -

I had wanted this test for a while too. Colon cancer runs in my family (I actually lost both of my parents this way) and a doctor once told me that you should carefully watch for Ovarian cancer as well if you have lots of Colon cancer in your family. I'm not sure how accurate that is really - but it seemed to make sense to me.

When I first started having celiac symptoms my periods started to get totally crazy, and I've always been worried that there was some celiac related issue - you know? Doctors were hesitant to give me this test because I'm so young and I have no symptoms of anything. Because my insurance changed, I had to go to a new doctor recently and when I was telling her that I was irregular and had some random spotting and cramping - she ordered this test.

I am usually VERY squirrely about obgyn exams - I can barely sit through a pap smear and pelvic exam every year - and I actually found the pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal really non-invasive and easy. They tell you to drink 32 ounces of water (I drank way more than that... oops) an hour before your appointment, and then to do the pelvic part of it, they just put some goop a few inches below your belly-button and they press down on your bladder a little bit while the little thing takes pictures. This part is outside of your body and no big deal, other than the fact that you have to pee like CRAZY. Then they let you go into the bathroom and the transvaginal ultrasound is the part that goes inside you. It's like this big long pole thing that they put a condom on, and it looks pretty scary - but actually, the thing only goes inside you a little bit. (Sorry if this is too much detail, you said you wanted to know!) I found this part less invasive than when you go to the gyno and they do the pelvic exam there - maybe I was just so glad I didn't have to pee anymore. :) The whole thing is over in like 10 minutes and then they send the pictures to your doctor. It's really no big deal!

Anyway - I think it's a good idea to have this test just because it gives you peace of mind, you know? If you have any other questions let me know!

YoloGx Rookie
Many types of the chalky stuff have a sugar alcohol, I think sorbital, in it. That is great for giving you D. Back in the day I had to have a full abdominal MRI, which with the old slow machines took hours-and I had an accident in the machine. That was lovely :o

Often sorbitol is made from gluten. Could be that?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You could also have been reacting to a glutening that occured up to three days before. For some of us the gluten reaction is a delayed one. That is why when you do a challenge you need to add the substance for up to a week before you can be sure it isn't something you react to.

It was a good point about the 'chalky' stuff they make you drink. If you are given an oral contrast for any test you need to make certain that it is gluten free. Most are clear when they are gluten free and very liquid not thick like the barium type shakes.

itchygirl Newbie
Often sorbitol is made from gluten. Could be that?

omg I did not know that. I try to avoid all sugar alcohols anyway, and I clearly remember this was the cheap "generic" barium. Since then, I always insist on the name brand stuff, in the berry not the banana flavor (which makes me vomit). I'm going to have to contact the barium manufacturers before the next test.

And I should know to check everything by now. I'm a moron :(

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I personally have had the trans-vaginal ultrasound, and didn't find it uncomfortable at all. I may not be a good person to ask, because I've never had a bit of a problem with pelvic exams ( I actually asked to feel my ovaries once, it works when you're really skinny, anyway) and have never found them uncomfortable, including pap smears. To me, the one where you have to pee really bad and they PUSH on you sounds way worse. But it is a wise decision if you feel there may be some endometriosis, which is what my doc was checking for, or another uterine issue.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
omg I did not know that. I try to avoid all sugar alcohols anyway, and I clearly remember this was the cheap "generic" barium. Since then, I always insist on the name brand stuff, in the berry not the banana flavor (which makes me vomit). I'm going to have to contact the barium manufacturers before the next test.

And I should know to check everything by now. I'm a moron :(

Be sure you insist that it be gluten free. The clear stuff they used with me had just a bit of cranberry juice added for flavor and was as thin as water. It was not hard to get down at all. If you can't see through it it most likely is not safe.

Archived