Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmcbride4291

My Family

Even though my family should bo gluten free, my wife is resisting. Anyway I got wacked somewhat even though gluten free. My som ate this big bowl of bake ziti next to me and I accidently used his napkin. My wife also kissed me after eating. I have read how sensitive we are to this. Is is that sensitive? I need to get everyone gluten free as my daughters doctor said my duaghter is showing signs of a food alergy and her immune sister and white count are way too high and she is becoming allergic to a lot of things but my wife resistes. I need help with a extensive food list on a very tight budget as to I was so ill for so long was on disability. Anything please! If possibble a complete shopping list. I have learned some but do not want to make any mistakes. Sorry tos seem so lazy but there are things going on behind the scenes. Thank you!

I posted this in another forum but I think it was the wrong one.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am also on a limited budget, it can be hard. Here are my basics for the week.

Rice, organic and unfortified or Minute Rice

Ground beef

stew beef

Raw unprocessed chicken

Frozen veggies, no sauces

potatoes, celery, carrots and onions

pnut butter and jelly I go for the ones that have the least ingredients or say gluten-free

gluten-free lunch meats like smoked turkey or ham, (when I am feeling rich)

bag of apples and or oranges

sweet potatoes

canned tomatoes

canned kidney beans

canned chi chi beans

Dinty Moore Beef Stew in the can, it is marked gluten-free but the microwave one isn't.

tuna fish

As far as gluten free specialy foods go I get

either Kinnikinnick or Ener-g bread

Ener-g soda type crakers are really good as long as you can do soy

Kinnickinnick pizza shells, which I also use as a flat bread at times

Wylde pretzels, gluten soy dairy and egg free but taste great.

I know others will have more ideas and suggestions. Almost anything that can be made with gluten can be made without it. You may want to check out the recipes section of the board and do your best to get your wife to spend some time here. It can be hard to deal with all the changes but once you return to health it is so worth it. If your child also needs the diet it is very important that she be on it. To continue to eat gluten can effect not just her growth and physical health but also her learning abilities and mood. It can also be fatal.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

My girlfriend brushes her teeth after eating anything I can't, so she doesn't make me sick. Otherwise I would get sick. It has happened before.

I used to end up with heartburn really bad while we were together, before I went gluten free/knew I had Celiac disease...

Join eNewsletter

Kraft is a company that will disclose all gluten even barley will be written"barley" on the label. They take the detective work out of it for us.

I have a 9 yr. old who as of yet doesn't have to be gluten-free but is much of the time. Inexpensive, healthy snack are easy to make. Puddings, jellos-either from a mix or fruit juice and knox unflavored gelatin, fruit juice popsicles can be made with dollar store molds, popcorn made the old fashioned way on the stove in a heavy pot, fruit

Products are not always budget friendly but here are some ideas.

Mixes are expensive but the Namaste mixes make enough for 2 batches so are a good value for their price. I take the extra time time measure out the dry mix into 2 and then 1/2 the rest of the ingredients called for and bake off 1/2 the mix into cupcakes and save the rest for next time. I freeze them and warm up as needed.

There is a brand of chicken nuggets and other chicken and beef varieties called Allergy-Free sold at Kroger that is almos always on sale for $1.99 a bag. Especially with the nuggets, you get alot in the bag.

Pamela's pancake mix is great and some places sell it in a larger bag which is a better value.

Often a plain rice or corn cereal ground up is cheaper for breadcrumbs than a product marketed for that purpose.

I make my own sausage patties. I ask the butcher to grind the lean pork for me. Here's the recipe. http://www.recipezaar.com/86494

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Guest hightop girl

Since the gluten free pasta is so expensive, I don't really use it. I have made due using different types of squash and just cut into the shape of the pasta I need. For lasagna (and most others) I use zucchini or yellow squash and then slice it in long slices like lasagna noodles. For penne pasta or ziti I cut it into 2 in X 1/2 in pieces. I really like spaghetti squash. And, all of these are healthier than the rice pasta.

Just an idea.

Join eNewsletter

many Costco, Walmart, and now even my local supermarket (stop&shop, a new england name for some national chain) stores have gluten-free sections and/or products that are less $ than the health food stores

shop the sales everywhere, and especially at the health food stores - I got half-price gluten-free corn chips last week, seemed to be an in-store special. Also if items that can be frozen go on a good sale, stock up (most things that can be frozen are good for 2-4 months in the freezer)

I agree with the ground meat comments - generally tasty, versatile, and not expensive. Again, check out the sales - there always seem to be a few things at the meat & fish counters that are half price, so I decide that those items on special are what we want to eat that week :)

for rice, if you have any hispanic- or asian- focused markets nearby their prices may be better vs national chains (on really big bags), worth checking out

overall, if you stick to 'whole' foods or things that are gluten-free just as they are (not 'special' gluten-free versions), your pocket book will be better off.

If cookies and bread are not something your family chooses to forego (I tend more toward chocolate and corn tortillas as substitutes), and time is more plentiful than $, you can be brave and try baking (whole forum on that here).

My grocery list also has

eggs

plain yogurt (we add our own 'mix ins' at home) and

nuts (my splurge, from Trader Joe's so not as $ as some places - I avoid the dry roasted ones, and any that say they're processed in a plant or on eqt shared w/wheat)

for fruits & veggies, if you live someplace with a co-op or 'summer share' program you can often sign up in spring & get fresh local produce every week (sometimes a 2 bag minimum, sometimes more flexible) - some programs are more $ than others, we don't have one where I live but friends in NY found one that saves them $ and kind of forces them to eat more fresh veggies ;)

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Join eNewsletter

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not getting the support you need at home. I am a student and as such am also on a limited budget. I found that the processed pre packaged gluten free stuff was way too expensive so I started to make everything from scratch. It can be time consuming, so I did it all on the weekends and froze the meals.

You can make your own fresh pasta by mixing the following ingredients together to form a dough, roll out as thin as possible and cut into pasta shapes.

1/3 c. tapioca flour

1/3 c. cornstarch

2 Tbsp. potato starch flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. xanthan gum

2 large eggs

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

A lot of foods are naturally gluten free such as meats, potatoes, rice, vegetables, try baseing your meals on these foods. Try googling gluten free recipes, there are heaps out there.

Also, something to consider is that a lot of lipsticks and other personal items contain gluten and this could be a source of contamination.

Good Luck :)

Good luck

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Join eNewsletter

I've looked to Mexican foods to use instead of bread. The idea of $5 for a loaf of bread does not work in my budget and I don't have time to make it from scratch.

I use Tostadas for a few things. One of my favorites is: black beans or refried beans, onions, corn, cheese and meat left overs.

Salsa either homemade or bought.

Tostadas - use for pizza crust (toast/warm first, then add tomato and cheese)

Nachos chips are a staple

Gorditas work great for a toasted sandwhich kind of thing. (Stuff with cheese, eggs, bacon, etc.)

Raid the local farmers market for everything you can.

Otherwise keep in mind that Wal-mart demands that all of their store brand products are labeled for gluten free. That saves some money on canned goods alone!

Join eNewsletter

I am on disabity. Understand.

You can't go wrong with rice & beans...on corn tortillas or tortilla chips.

I keep (in my cupboard)

dry beans (pinto, black, white, lentils, split peas)

dry rice ( long-grained white, jasmine, california calrose, and brown)

canned tomatoes

canned artichoke hearts

canned beans (black & garbanzo for hummus)

canned baby corn

I buy the tinyada pasta

and rice stick noodles they make great stir fry and thai noodles

in the freezer I keep:

frozen veggies

fruits and berries

Kinnickinnik pizza crusts

1 loaf of Kinnickinnik italian white sandwich bread (I don't eat a lot of sandwiches but I limit them)

Foster Farms turkey Italian Sausages (I nuke one for 2 minutes and slice it up and eat it on the Kinnickinnik pizza crust with basil & diced roasted garlic tomatoes and some artichoke hearts.. I can't have dairy so no cheese 4 me)

I have a new love of Quinoa it has a very similar texture to barley so I love it in stews (I can't eat potatoes so it gives me my pseudo starch)

good luck!

sickchick

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter