Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jknnej

Gluten Free Diet

Hi all,

Question: I am the type that when I eat wheat I don't get as violently ill as other people here. Once in a while I will and I definitely get bad stomach aches, sometimes diarrhea, but I don't vomit or anything like that.

So, my question is: the longer you stay on the gluten free diet, do your symptoms get worse if you ingest wheat? If I stay on the diet stricly but accidentally ingest wheat, say from a restaurant a year from now, will I get violently ill or just ill like I did before? I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not but I'm just wondering!From what I've read on the board there are all types of us: the very sick, the mildly sick, the barely noticed symptoms but were still diagnosed sick.

What do you think?

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My symptoms are a lot worse after being glutenfree for almost twoyears.

Remember, just because you don't have symptoms or strong ones doesn't mean the damage isn't being done.

I also have mild reactions. When I first started the diet, my reactions were far worse than my prediagnosis symptoms. Over time, my reactions became less when accidentally poisoned. I'm at 2 years and believe I would hardly notice the first poisoning, but would probably react to the second if it occurred within a week. I have to work hard at being dilligent, but without feedback, it's difficult. Overall, I would say I am lucky compared to many on this board.